GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Price thread - what kind of deal did you get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 10:01 PM
travis123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where in Ca

Editman1, where in CA did you shop?
Old 02-07-15, 10:47 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by travis123
Editman1, where in CA did you shop?
Stevens Creek, he posted the deal in the lease thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post8883289
Old 02-08-15, 11:42 AM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default In a rush?

Originally Posted by OhioMan
After looking at some of the other cars in the same class I decided to purchase a GS F Sport AWD. I'm lining up the local dealerships to track down what I want which got me thinking, what are other people who have already taken the plunge able to negotiate? I have not yet received any numbers back so I was hoping to educate myself and maybe some other newbies or lurkers on what they could maybe expect or hope to negotiate with the stealership.
I was in a big hurry so I'm not sure if I could of done better spending time negotiating dealer against dealer but here's what I did:
1) Did my own tracking via Lexus online, "new car inventory search" first. Found several configured the way I wanted and noted the VIN number.
2) Went online for "Costco members" car purchase referral. Got the dealer contact referral within minutes. Went immediately to the referred dealer's online inventory and confirmed that they had the model configuration I wanted.
3) Took my trade in to Car Max. Car was appraised and a no-haggle price was offered to me. I got a check within an hour.
4) Went to the Costco referred dealer and got the no-haggle Costco price on the car I wanted. They had the model configuration I wanted but if they didn't, I was prepared with a short list of VINs that they could have simply dealer traded for. But they had my car Signed the paper work and drove home the same day.
Except for step one, which took several hours online the day before, the whole transaction was done in one day.
Somethings I learned through this process:
a) Not all Lexus online inventory content is the same. Some are very exact (color, options) while others use "package" codes. But, easy to learn after you read a few. Mine was easy. I just need the F Sport package in Atomic Silver.
b) Car Max is a no haggle dealer. But I took my car (2012 BMW 550i M Sport) before hand for a trade in value at the BMW stealer and a Lexus dealer. CAR Max gave me $8K more than the BMW stealer and $3K more than Lexus. So NO, the dealers really don't want your trade. This is especially true if they think you're not willing to pay their MSRP. And yes, CAR MAX is legit ( if you have a decent, clean trade).
c) Costco pricing is available to members only by appointment with the referred dealer. So you can't just go to a Costco and buy the car off-the-lot nor you can you really figure out the exact dollars because Costco won't quote it. BUT I can tell you, once I met the dealer, my discount was 7.2% off MSRP. Thats a no haggle price (though good enough for me). I'm not sure if the same discount from region to region but I think its worth a look.
d) I think this process worked for me because there are a lot of Lexus inventory (base RWD F Sport) where I live (Los Angeles), I'm a Costco member (who isn't), and I really didn't want to spend the time negotiating dealer vs dealer (who does) .
PICS: A Costco "Lexus F Sport" plug. My BMW 550i last seen (...sigh):
Attached Thumbnails Price thread - what kind of deal did you get?-img_1213.jpg   Price thread - what kind of deal did you get?-adios-amigo.jpg  

Last edited by HDEddie1; 02-08-15 at 12:46 PM.