Old 02-26-12, 04:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
3GS did respectably well in its first 3 years:

2005: 33,457
2006: 27,390
2007: 23,381
2008: 15,759

2007-2008 is where the drop happened, about the time the ES went on sale, and the financial crisis took hold. I think a lot of buyers failed to see the GS as a compelling alternative to the ES. They should be better differentiated now with the 4GS.
Thanks for posting the figures.

Originally Posted by *Batman*
My hypothesis is that the 2GS had a huge user base and a lot of those people switched to 3GS by default (i.e. not thinking about it). Once those upgraders were done, the car struggled to win re-upgrades or new customers from other brands.
This is so inaccurate its not even funny. For those of us here when the 3GS came out, there were actually not many 2GS early adopters and there hasn't been a huge amount of people that went from 2-3GS. Some did yes but nothing at all like you are stating.

What you and others are forgetting and what has been stated a billion times is this segment is not the same like it was in 2000 when there were only 3 serious competitors in the GS, E and 5. Today the entire segment is packed with fantastic vehicles. It is a tight battle. The 5/E are the status quo here, the default choice. The GS will never compete with their volume and Lexus just wants the GS to get their appropriate piece of the pie. This is no different than the RX dominating its segment and the Germans not coming close to selling like it and just want their piece of pie.

What is also not mentioned is Lexus 3GS lease residuals were crap and not attractive to lease compared to a 5 series or M35 that could be had for $399 etc a month. Lexus has now changed this strategy since the 4GS has much higher residuals for those that want to lease.

As for the other nitpicks, we can nitpick any car, none are perfect.The 3GS has opportunities, the 4GS has opportunities just like every car in this class has areas they could improve upon.

Originally Posted by Ice350
Just wanted to say I still love the Lexus products. That may not last forever. I love coupes. Because of my size, I actually need a coupe. I need lot's of legroom. Midsize sedans sometimes lack the room I need because they have to have enough backseat space to accomodate adults. Most coupes could care less about the back seat space.
It's also easier getting in and out out coupes because the door and door-space is more plentiful. I have scraped a hole in the material of my door getting my big butt in and out.
I really don't care about these sedans. As long as they make a nice coupe, I'll be okay. I do have to keep some interest for sedans because my wife will always have them. If she changes her mind about the new design, we may end up having one...but it has to get a little better looking.

Screw all this talk about ES's and GS's. Give me a coupe Lexus!
A lot of people are torn with the new Lexus styling and we have seen tons of older members either not buy a new Lexus, sell their Lexus, lose interest in Lexus and move on. Its natural and happens to all brands.

Completely agree with a coupe!

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Nothing wrong with going elsewhere. There are many car manufacturers with great reputations, and superior engineering heritage.

I was open to getting another V8 GS if they made it and offered a decent styling.

Once they announced the V6 only ugly duckling 4GS, I put my BMW 550i into production. And I am really happy with it. Lexus has never made a car of that calibre.
Like BMW has never made a car of this calibre

Some people want a sporting car in the GS and don't want a car based on the 7 series that has gone soft, even with the great V-8 option.

We are all so lucky to have such a great field of cars to chose from.
Old 02-26-12, 05:06 PM
rocks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW M chairman has stated that they really want to build a supercar along the likes of the Mercedes SLS and that they have what it takes to make such a car. However, according to him, the decision makes at the top are not thrilled with the idea because the engineers would have to prove that a supercar would be profitable to the brand. He said every car they propose must be able to make money. So it's not like BMW lacks the skills to make a supercar. Read the article below:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/259703/
Old 02-26-12, 05:22 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rocks
BMW M chairman has stated that they really want to build a supercar along the likes of the Mercedes SLS and that they have what it takes to make such a car. However, according to him, the decision makes at the top are not thrilled with the idea because the engineers would have to prove that a supercar would be profitable to the brand. He said every car they propose must be able to make money. So it's not like BMW lacks the skills to make a supercar. Read the article below:

I don't think anyone doubts them but Mercedes, Audi, Lexus offer supercars, they do not.
Old 02-26-12, 07:48 PM
rocks
Driver

Either way I don't really care, my next car will certainly be a Lexus, either GSF if they build it or ISF. I am through with BMW, when I retire my beloved E46 in two years, that will conclude my patronage to the marque.
Old 02-27-12, 05:47 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
.....We are all so lucky to have such a great field of cars to chose from.
That is the best thing I've seen posted here in a while. Amen!
Old 02-27-12, 05:50 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think anyone doubts them but Mercedes, Audi, Lexus offer supercars, they do not.
As I've stated many times, I've been a huge car nut of monumental proportions for over 40 years. Whether a car manufacturer builds a "Supercar" or not has zero bearing to me on what kind of car I buy. I understand the reasoning why companies like Lexus and Acura have decided to do it, but I just think it is a totally meaningless issue.
Old 02-27-12, 08:57 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to 'sound like a broken record', but IMO, the GS and ES are two different platforms with two different customer bases. Going on just pure looks alone, the GS is by far the better looking of the two cars. Exterior and Interior. IMO the ES appears 'bloated' and the front end is over-done. Keep in mind we're moving up the scale when get to the GS, so we 'generally' expect an overall better vehicle.
Old 02-28-12, 10:03 PM
Dema
Pole Position

Yes, and it is general problem that all cars are great. However after ownership you start to realize that something in your car sin't so great and it is sad because you can't return your car and get another one. So reading all these arguing is very helpful, because you can get information which you cant' get reading car spec or test driving it.
Old 02-29-12, 01:08 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

The gs and es look almost identical, to be honest i couldnt tell the difference.
Old 02-29-12, 01:22 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

They definitely won't drive the same. One is a RWD 5 series killer, the other is a FWD luxury people carrier.
Old 02-29-12, 02:12 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
The gs and es look almost identical, to be honest i couldnt tell the difference.
That ES has an extra 4" gap between the front hood and the top of grille. It bothers the hell out of me and it looks weird.
Old 02-29-12, 02:20 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by memasterac
That ES has an extra 4" gap between the front hood and the top of grille. It bothers the hell out of me and it looks weird.
Definitely you're on point here, the designers went out to lunch on that one
Old 02-29-12, 10:54 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Idunno. From the front, at a quick glance, the GS/ES looks too close now. With more ES to be sold, from teh front, someone is going to think the GS is the ES.
Old 03-01-12, 05:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

I think they look less similar than 3 and 5... and lot less similar... also less similar than A4 and A6.