GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4 GS vs Commercial Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 09:27 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
You will no longer have the original paint job but a lower quality after market paint job. And you deserve it.
It is hard to imagine the damage was actual deep scratch versus scuff marks, hence detailer versus going to a body shop
Old 02-16-12, 11:12 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Treat yourself to a professional detailing

I use to be so **** about washing my cars but lately I have been slacking big time... my LS has so many swirl marks that I need to attend and little nicks around the car.
Old 02-17-12, 06:40 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
It is hard to imagine the damage was actual deep scratch versus scuff marks, hence detailer versus going to a body shop
It might be deep scratches. My mum put her ES through one of these and there were several deep scratches from the car wash.
Old 02-17-12, 06:57 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't they just buff the car out?
Old 02-17-12, 08:37 AM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The detailing shop where I'll take the car does preps for custom car shows. I have confidence in them. I will submit a FYI post afterwards on how it turns out. BTW this all does present some complications for me. There are no hand wash facilities in our Community and I won't physically be able to wash it 4 seasons. Not whining- just fact.
Old 02-17-12, 10:18 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tomoshort
The color is Liquid Platinum. As I mentioned on another post, this particular color is the result of a new technology paint process Lexus is using. As far as I know, it is unique to that color. My hope is that it is not uniquely soft.
Correct, Liquid platinum and the new red color offered on the gs have little glass flakes mixed in the paint so that it really pops. I would reccomend staying away from car washes all together but if you have to, make sure it is touchless. The problem with all car washes is that there are laws that force the water to be mostly recycled water. Pair that with scrubbers that collect dirt from the many cars before that and you end up with a torn up paint job. At my dealership, we spray the car with a pressure washer, hand wash it with a clean microfiber cloth and soap, and then run it through a touchless wash. Try to find an indoor DIY place just to have a hose and a warm place to clean it. Hand wash! Thats the best way and it will keep your paint poppin like it was on the showroom.
Old 02-17-12, 11:43 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The detailing shop where I'll take the car does preps for custom car shows. I have confidence in them. I will submit a FYI post afterwards on how it turns out. BTW this all does present some complications for me. There are no hand wash facilities in our Community and I won't physically be able to wash it 4 seasons. Not whining- just fact.
I would suggest you buy a pressure washer, a foam gun and some snowfoam. Then you can do a touchless wash at home in about ten minutes.
Old 02-23-12, 09:06 AM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

I got my 4GS detailed yesterday at Lexus of Tacoma. They did a great job and too care of about 99% of the problems. There were some fairly deep scratches in the front fender well and my Chipprotect got crazed a little bit.
They do have a car wash there at Lexus and cycle a lot of high end vehicles through there every day with no problems. They pre brush cars before they go through. They have mop like devices that clean the horizontal surfaces AND mop like cleaners that handle vertical surfaces as well. There are NO brushes.

I'll be hand washing from now on, except in winter when weather makes that impossible. In those cases I will consider touch-less to get the chunks off and clean the underside. If I get lucky, I might find a heated space where I can do cleaning and washing.
Old 02-23-12, 10:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

You will no longer have the original paint job but a lower quality after market paint job. And you deserve it.
deserve it? nice. please try to be less harsh and judgmental.

It might be deep scratches. My mum put her ES through one of these and there were several deep scratches from the car wash.
"deep scratches" from a car wash? i've been through every kind imaginable and never had deep scratches. what are they throwing gravel on the car first?

I got my 4GS detailed yesterday at Lexus of Tacoma. They did a great job and too care of about 99% of the problems. There were some fairly deep scratches in the front fender well and my Chipprotect got crazed a little bit.
are you sure those deep scratches are from the car wash and not from the road or maybe were there when you got the car?

They do have a car wash there at Lexus and cycle a lot of high end vehicles through there every day with no problems. They pre brush cars before they go through. They have mop like devices that clean the horizontal surfaces AND mop like cleaners that handle vertical surfaces as well. There are NO brushes.
so if your friend has the same kind of car wash why is the lexus one ok but his one causes 'deep scratches'?

anyway, glad it's 99% good now!
Old 02-23-12, 11:04 AM
tomoshort
Driver School Candidate

I think the difference between my Friend's car wash and the one owned by Lexus of Tacoma is that the Dealer's has mop like fingers whereas my Friend's has brushes.

I was at the Lexus detail shop when the repair was finished. The observations I pass along are theirs as well as mine.
Old 02-23-12, 04:55 PM
GSfsport
Driver

i am honestly sorry for your car, but i would like to thank you for letting us know about drive through car washes. only if u have available hand wash businesses, it'll be less worries. where i live it cost 10 dollars for a hand wash including vacuum and they clean the cracks of the doors, trunk, and hood. the good thing also is they come to where your at, home or work, during the hottest and coldest time of the month ill have them on a weekly schedule to come by my house to wash my car.
Old 02-23-12, 06:37 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not so picky with mine any more, I go through the brush washes all the time now and the car is fine. I'll still give it a good buff with the porter cable once or twice a year but that's all and mine is black and the worst for scratches hehe.
Old 02-23-12, 07:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
why dont lexus paints heal themselves again?
Because self healing clearcoats like the ones featured on the LS are very expensive.