GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

$349/year for Lexus apps; $250 (one time) for BMW apps

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 09:46 PM
drdigital1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $349/year for Lexus apps; $250 (one time) for BMW apps

Both Lexus App Suite and SiriusXM services (such as SiriusXM NavTraffic which adds real time traffic info to the navigation system) are shown under ADDITIONAL MONTHLY services at PRICING tab at http://www.lexus.com/enform/.
I just got a confirmation from Lexus that
1. One can subscribe to SiriusXM services without subscribing to Enform
2. One cannot subscribe to the apps suite without subscribing to Enform which in turn requires to subscribe to Safety connect.
So a Lexus driver who wants to use the apps suite will have to pay $349/year ($265 + 12 * $7); a BMW driver only has to make a one-time payment of $250 for BMW apps without having to subscribe to any other service (and they have similar services to Lexus Enform with Safety Connect).
Old 02-15-12, 09:55 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by drdigital1
Both Lexus App Suite and SiriusXM services (such as SiriusXM NavTraffic which adds real time traffic info to the navigation system) are shown under ADDITIONAL MONTHLY services at PRICING tab at http://www.lexus.com/enform/.
I just got a confirmation from Lexus that
1. One can subscribe to SiriusXM services without subscribing to Enform
2. One cannot subscribe to the apps suite without subscribing to Enform which in turn requires to subscribe to Safety connect.
So a Lexus driver who wants to use the apps suite will have to pay $349/year ($265 + 12 * $7); a BMW driver only has to make a one-time payment of $250 for BMW apps without having to subscribe to any other service (and they have similar services to Lexus Enform with Safety Connect).
Thanks for the comparison...
Old 02-15-12, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if that's the case, expensive. one time cost i might consider (just like i'd pay for nav feature), but i personally always hate subscription cost. that's why i never care about xm subscription as much as i want the nav traffic feature.
Old 02-16-12, 07:54 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The first year is free so you pay after the first year.

OP, you are wrong in terms of the cost for BMW. The BMW application $250 one time fee for the Iphone dock in middle of arm rest but not everyone has iphone and I had one and hated it and got the new 4G motorola Razr Droid so is not benefical for me to be restricted to the Iphone dock. I have to pay $199 yearly for the connected drive to get internet, news, etc and concierge service in which I bought on my 2011 BMW 535i xdrive. Not worth the $199 price alone. As for sirius XM, everyone has to pay beyond first year no matter what car you have.

As for the Lexus, It is $506 dollars for 2 years extension of the subscription to Enform that includes safety connect beyond the first free year.The Lexus apps and features are a huge leap forward than the BMW.
So for 3 years on my BMW it is 250 plus 3*(199) = $847. DO the math.

3 years
BMW: $847 including 250 for the iphone app dock and $199 per year for connected drive (conceirge, BMW Search
Directions, Traffic, Weather, Critical Calling)
Lexus: $503 including 1st free year
4 years
BMW: $1047
Lexus $743
5 years
BMW: $1250
Lexus: $947

Hope this helps and makes everyone happier!!!!
So, its cheaper with the Lexus!!!!. : )

See attached pdf of subscription plan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Subscription_Plans.pdf (103.9 KB, 329 views)

Last edited by Rexus300; 02-16-12 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-16-12, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so with the bmw, the internet access is through their proprietary service, and not through your phone provider?

seems like it's expensive vs even more expensive
Old 02-16-12, 01:56 PM
drdigital1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rexus300

OP, you are wrong....

...for the Lexus, It is $506 dollars for 2 years extension of the subscription to Enform that includes safety connect beyond the first free year

Hope this helps and makes everyone happier!!!!
So, its cheaper with the Lexus!!!!. : )
Rexus300, as you clearly indicate, your analysis relates to the Lexus drivers subscribing to Enform and Safety Connect. For these people, the additional $7/month for the mobile apps suite is extremely reasonable.
My analysis refers to the Lexus drivers that have no interest in destination assistance and concierge services i.e., Enform with Safety Connect (which, I suspect, are a majority of the Lexus drivers) but that are interested in technology and gadgets and would like to subscribe and experiment with the mobile apps suite. I am such a driver as I have never subscribed to destination assistance and concierge services during my 12 years of driving Lexus LS cars and 3 years of Cadillac STS. For these drivers, the cost of subscribing to the mobile apps suite alone is exactly as I described i.e., $349/year for Lexus vs. $250 (one time) for BMW apps.
This is not cheaper for Lexus and it’ll not make this group of drivers happy!
Old 02-16-12, 02:39 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

So why do I have to buy Iphone only to use the $250 BMW feature? Most people have Androids or Blackberry so this feature is useless whereas in Lexus it is nicely integrated with the Enform and allows any phone to be used.
Old 02-16-12, 03:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Rexus300
So why do I have to buy Iphone only to use the $250 BMW feature? Most people have Androids or Blackberry so this feature is useless whereas in Lexus it is nicely integrated with the Enform and allows any phone to be used.
really? how do you know most luxury car owners have droid or bb over iphones?

i don't know about you, but i know plenty of people driving luxury brands. interesting enough, when we get together, it's almost all iphones
Old 02-16-12, 03:07 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Haha, maybe my demographics is different. To be honest its all about the flexibility of having a phone and apps in car that matters the most. So at the end Lexus offers alot of application choices which are more than BMW but you end up paying a bit more.

I had Iphone 4S but switched to the new 4G Motorola Droid Razr Maxx and wow its leaps ahead of Iphone 4S in speed, battery life, features, call quality, and customization so I am happy with it. Everything else in my house is Apple. : )
Old 02-16-12, 03:21 PM
drdigital1
Driver School Candidate

My comment is about the obscene price for Lexus mobile apps suite. I am quite confident that the Lexus business people will realize the huge missed opportunity for an additional revenue stream and, in time, will decouple the apps suite from the $265/year Enform and Safety Connect package.
And BTW, BMW has promised Android support to the BMW apps customers (which makes sense given the Android market share).
Old 03-05-12, 10:57 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

I dont think its too obsure when people will buy a song from itunes or another music provider for $0.99. If you're about to buy a 55-60k car what is the additional $300.00 (lets round up here) for ADDITIONAL services? Why should they be included when lexus does not own these apps? they are run by other people other than lexus....
Old 03-05-12, 10:58 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

... before I forget ive got sirius on both my GS300 and LS430 I use it I dont mind the extra charge to listen to uncensored music and much much much less commercials....
Old 03-05-12, 07:07 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everyone owns a iphone dont they?! ive never seen the very rare BB or droids you speak of
Old 03-05-12, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ay-nako
I dont think its too obsure when people will buy a song from itunes or another music provider for $0.99. If you're about to buy a 55-60k car what is the additional $300.00 (lets round up here) for ADDITIONAL services? Why should they be included when lexus does not own these apps? they are run by other people other than lexus....
that's way too logical.

don't you know people drive $50+k cars miles out of their way to save 3c on a gallon of gas.
Old 03-05-12, 09:42 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's way too logical.

don't you know people drive $50+k cars miles out of their way to save 3c on a gallon of gas.
Thank you!!!! I can't tell you how many times I've seen this! Let me buy regular instead of premium and save 4 dollars but buy a $12.00 Starbucks coffee.. Smh man this gets out of control sometime...

I can talk I ordered one of these bad boys!!!

Quick Reply: $349/year for Lexus apps; $250 (one time) for BMW apps