GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Gas Mileage on New GS 350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-12, 07:05 AM
itruns
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The higher the percentage of methanol in the gas... the less MPG you will get. Methanol has a higher octane, but less BTU's per gallon... When they first started to add methanol a few years back Prius owners, who carefully track every MPG, starting screaming something was wrong with their car as the mileage dropped noticeably. The answer then was to find a station that was still selling 100% gas, not a blend and the mileage would go back to normal... But they all seem to "blend" now. And they are talking about letting them go to higher percentages of Methanol... which means MPG will drop yet again..

I wonder what the new GS would get with "real" gasoline...
Old 02-18-12, 08:42 AM
GSfsport
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itruns
The higher the percentage of methanol in the gas... the less MPG you will get. Methanol has a higher octane, but less BTU's per gallon... When they first started to add methanol a few years back Prius owners, who carefully track every MPG, starting screaming something was wrong with their car as the mileage dropped noticeably. The answer then was to find a station that was still selling 100% gas, not a blend and the mileage would go back to normal... But they all seem to "blend" now. And they are talking about letting them go to higher percentages of Methanol... which means MPG will drop yet again..

I wonder what the new GS would get with "real" gasoline...
its sounds like a win win for the gas company, they add more ethanol to the gas and make more volume of gas and ppl get less gas mileage. so people would pump more often.
theres a cupple of no-ethanol stations around where i live which is around 20cents more per gallon, but i think itll be worth it.

no ethanol= better for engine + better gas mileage - happy me..
Old 02-20-12, 08:52 PM
alienjorge
Driver School Candidate

I filled up my tank on monday so it lasted me 1 week and 1 day which is more than the ls would last me. With gas prices rising i paid $61 to fill up my tank. This weekend i saw a hummer h2 at the gas station when i was filling up and man did i feel bad for that guy. Im glad i have a 30mpg plus car now....
Old 02-20-12, 09:51 PM
GSfsport
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$61 dont sound too bad right now, its a bit more than i normally pay for on my current car. but it is one of the perks of having a work car that i can pump cheap gas
Old 05-08-14, 05:50 PM
Tflong24
Driver School Candidate

Default Gas mileage

First of all, I did not buy this car for gas mileage, although it is pretty good.

Background, I bought a 13 GS non f-sport last may. I had it 10 months. I drive 18 miles each way to work with about a 40-60 split city to highway. In the non fsport gs I never averaged below 26 mpg on a tank full. That was driving in Eco mode most of the time unless I was having fun. NOW, I bought a 13 F-sport this March because I regretted not having it and got a great deal. I cannot get over a 24 mpg average doing the same drive the same way, same gas station etc. even trying EXTREMLY hard. So there are big variances from car to car.
Old 05-08-14, 07:53 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Dont know about you guys but iam getting 29mpg on flat highways and 27mpg on highways with hills. I drive a 2014 GS350 rwd with luxury package, 5000 miles on the odo. I am a very satisfied lexus customer.

Note: When I take my GS to the race track for a track day I get about 18mpg which is quiet impressive.
Old 05-08-14, 10:34 PM
flippd
Driver

70% highway, GS AWD - I average only 21mpg. Not sure if it has to do with me always being in the fast lane (I don't gun it, but I'm always in the fast or 2nd fast lane).

Old 05-08-14, 10:56 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

I have about 1300mi on my F Sport. In Sport+ about 20% of the time. I get about 21.
Old 05-08-14, 11:08 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
In Sport+ about 20% of the time. I get about 21.
I'm about the same. 20-21 mpg and I get heavy footed, especially when climbing hills.
Old 05-11-14, 09:40 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry if I am beating this to death, but the gas mileage on my F-Sport continues to improve. It is two years old with 11,000 miles on the meter. I initially got 24-25 MPG in town, mostly suburban driving, never over 45-50 MPH. The last two tanks, I have had over 28MPG, the best one being 28.8MPG including no highway miles. I rarely do any highway driving, but when I do, i get about the same mileage, maybe one MPG better at a steady 75MPH. Possibly the current improvement is due to the summer gas?
Old 05-11-14, 10:34 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel consumption of this vehicle is pretty much in-line with its 6 cylinder peers from other brands. No more no less.

But personally though:
In my honest opinion, I consider the Lexus GS as a car for rich people. Now, I don't know what are the income brackets of people that buy Lexus cars in America.......but personally, I consider Lexus as luxury brand (especially in the country I'm from). In short, it's a car that primarily caters to rich people (i.e. Class A and B primarily)

So that means that I couldn't care less if I spend 1,000-2,000 Philippine pesos (or 20-40 American Dollars) every single day on fuel for this car......simply because this is a luxury car.

And for me:
Luxury = money is no object

Point is simple
If you can't afford luxury, then either go buy some 3 cylinder car OR take public transportation........

Just saying....
Old 05-11-14, 11:22 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blackraven

And for me:

Point is simple
If you can't afford luxury, then either go buy some 3 cylinder car OR take public transportation........

Just saying....
I don't believe that very many Lexus owners spend money carelessly like it isn't an object. Lexus vehicles are nice, but definitely not in the "filthy rich, too much money to care" category. Unless your garage is filled with LFA's...

These aren't rare, exotic cars. They're nice, daily driven vehicles and I think people should expect a certain level of efficiency out of their daily driven vehicles. I wouldn't have bought a GS if it could only achieve 10mpg. Not because I can't afford to burn gas at that rate, but because I can't justify burning that much fuel just to drive across town. It's not all about the money.
Old 05-11-14, 05:38 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I lucked out and paid 3.62 per gallon for 93 octane yesterday. You bet I got a full tank.
Old 05-11-14, 06:56 PM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSfsport
its sounds like a win win for the gas company, they add more ethanol to the gas and make more volume of gas and ppl get less gas mileage. so people would pump more often.
theres a cupple of no-ethanol stations around where i live which is around 20cents more per gallon, but i think itll be worth it.

no ethanol= better for engine + better gas mileage - happy me..
Ethanol percentage has nothing to do with the oil companies. It is regulated by the government. It is an oxygenate, designed to supposedly provide cleaner emissions.

The previous commonly used oxygenate was MTBE, which is an environmental disaster when spilled so it is no longer used.
Old 05-11-14, 07:01 PM
Needsdecaf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The fuel consumption of this vehicle is pretty much in-line with its 6 cylinder peers from other brands. No more no less.

But personally though:
In my honest opinion, I consider the Lexus GS as a car for rich people. Now, I don't know what are the income brackets of people that buy Lexus cars in America.......but personally, I consider Lexus as luxury brand (especially in the country I'm from). In short, it's a car that primarily caters to rich people (i.e. Class A and B primarily)

So that means that I couldn't care less if I spend 1,000-2,000 Philippine pesos (or 20-40 American Dollars) every single day on fuel for this car......simply because this is a luxury car.

And for me:

Point is simple

Just saying....
This argument is oft used and it never gets any smarter. Ever think that many of us got to be in a position to buy a luxury car because we don't **** money away?

And no, this car does not get the same mileage as it's counterparts. My turbo 535 got 3-4 MPG better, and much buddy's E350'at least 5.

My biggest complaint is the range. Small tank and crappy mileage means the light is on at under 300 miles. Close to 400 was the norm for my Bimmer.

My diesel Cayenne is about 600. And is averaging 5 MPG better than the 1,000 lb lighter GS,

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage on New GS 350 F Sport