GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 F-sport test drive review

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 11:58 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

It choices, we all have a CHOICE to try to achieve the best mpg or drive for fun. I've done both. I Often take 6-10 hour trips.. and yes, on some occasion i putt-putt along to see how great gas mileage i can get but most often I drive in my comfort zone which is (80-100 mph range) I often avg 90+ with traffic permitting which is fun with a V8 power car or my GF's 335i

Going 90+mph, my gas mileage is 20-21 mpg at best but it makes the trip fun enjoyable and you get there alot faster than strolling along. I'm thinking why have a V8 or twin-turbo car if i'm just going to just stroll along at 65-75mph just to save a couple of bucks while I can have fun with my drive as the car was design and capable of sustaining high speeds with comfort. I wouldn't suggest doing the same with a Camry or Prius but Ive seen a few Prius zooming by me over 90 mph but when I throw down the hammer bye-bye Prius.

Seriously, it really is remarkable that such Hi-Performance cars such as Lexus, BMW can provide such power with great mpg if you sip along the slow lane if you choose to but if you want to drive a performance car the way it was design to be driven, the gas mileage isn't that bad because the ability to get good gas mileage will offset the Hi-speed/aggressive driving. I've never gotten below 20mpg on hwy cruising around 90-100 mph (with short burst of 120 mph) in either my GS430 or my GF's 335i.. So whats a few bucks on gas, its your car, have fun with it..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 02-19-12 at 02:43 PM. Reason: ..
Old 02-19-12, 05:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

1QWKGS4,

^^^^^is not about the money, like rominl said, if I want to save money, I would drive a Prius.

I found anything extreme is fun, driving as slow as I can to get the most MPG or as fast as I can on the track to see how low MPG is.

So far my best is 27 MPG on my LS430 and about 7 MPG WOT on the track in my R34 GTR.
Old 02-19-12, 05:59 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i've had my white 2013 GS4 F-Sport since 5:00 pm yesterday and i've already put a little over 200 miles on it, and i have a little more than a quarter of a tank of gas left. i like the car. the handling is very good. it's a smooth ride. potholes bumps manhole covers etc. it does ok. i try to avoid all the obstacles on these NEW YORK streets, sometimes you can't. could use more hp and bigger engine. the way this car was built i believe it could handle it.
Old 02-20-12, 07:36 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by js619858
Nice car! Front is nice but mid-side to back needs to match the front.

Hate wood trim and also love power but at my point in life and owning a ISF, I rather sacrifice power for MPG! Even in my ISF, I barely step on the gas pedal because I hate watching my MPG go down.
I have over 10k miles on my 2011 IS-F and my Avg currently sits at 20.x MPG and no this is not Tank Avg.

IS-F gets phenomenal gas mileage considering it's big V8 Power plant...Thanks to the 8 Spd Trans.
Old 02-20-12, 07:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I got 45 minutes to kill before my yakitori is ready, so I stopped by the dealer to see the 4GS for my 1st time.

They got all of them in stock, I naturally looked at a white F-Sport with the tan/light saddle interior.

My impression:

Exterior: Blah. It looks like a 3GS body with a Bomex / Veilside aftermarket front bumper, way out of proportion on the front, boring sides and cheap looking rears. That sums it up. The only details I found interesting is the kink on the rear edges of the rear doors. Still horrible stance, a tad better then the 3GS I guess? Lexus is keeping lowering springs and wheel spacers manufacturers in business for sure. The styling of the 19s looks good, but might be due to the bad stance or extra large wheel well opening, they still look a tad small. OEM 20s from the LFA or GTR probably look perfect on this car.

Interior: WOW.........stunning, gorgeous, absolutely revolutionary. After the disappointment on the exterior, the beautiful interior provide a huge contrast. It is shockingly good You guys know everything already, so I am not gonna repeat anything. Few things that really stand out, Top surface of the dash is wrapped by leather, this is huge, even though it might not be genuine leather, it is still very soft leather like material, softer then the leatherette in cheap BMW. I don't know how many people notice this, but the power motorized operation of the seat feels GREAT. Is a huge improvement over whatever they had before. Of course the huge NAV screen is awesome, but everyone knows. The biggest delight I found sitting in the front seats of the 4GS is, it got less of that bunkered-in feels that I absolutely hate from the 3GS or 4LS or most latest cars. The top of the dash feels lower and the roof feels higher.

That's it, I don't feel like driving it, I don't need to feel the disappointments from the carry over drivetrain. I am sure the suspension is great, I take all you guys words for it.

Overall I think is an improvement in the positive direction. It is getting better, just moving at a pretty slow pace. I think I am just getting old enough to stuck loving my good old school Lexus models. You guys all heard old folks always say I love my 1970s so and so and I don't like any of the new cars came out after that, they don't build them like they used to. I think when a person is getting old enough, they just stuck loving whatever they love the most and stop appreciating new things. I think I am getting that way. Hopefully the LF-LC will shock me out of it.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-20-12 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 08:48 PM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

The new Gs is hot hands down
Old 02-21-12, 12:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by credle89
The new Gs is hot hands down
well i don't think it looks that hot outside period. inside though it's freaking nice

thanks jeff for the quick words!
Old 02-21-12, 02:31 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the review Henry.

Originally Posted by rominl
lol i got 16mpg in my m3 and i didn't feel a thing, i just drove it the way it's supposed to be. if i want mpg i would have gotten something else
How the heck did you get 16mpg? I'm averaging 12mpg per tank!
Old 02-21-12, 03:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Thanks for the review Henry.

How the heck did you get 16mpg? I'm averaging 12mpg per tank!
lmao, move to OC, jay, less traffic here
Old 02-21-12, 05:54 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured out why Lexus didn't offer a 460. After driving my 460 for the first time in a month, I found it to be astonishingly slow. Even with 380hp like the LS it wouldn't have enough power to compete with the latest biturbo V8s. Waiting to develop a new flagship engine is probably the right move on their part.
Old 02-24-12, 08:46 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I am going to get kill for saying this, I saw a 4GS on the street this morning for the 1st time, it aren't a F-Sport. Just from looking at the front, I totally thought it was a CT200. I was just thinking that CT200 looks pretty good. Then I see the side and realized why this particular "CT200" got extra presence.
Old 02-24-12, 09:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I figured out why Lexus didn't offer a 460. After driving my 460 for the first time in a month, I found it to be astonishingly slow. Even with 380hp like the LS it wouldn't have enough power to compete with the latest biturbo V8s. Waiting to develop a new flagship engine is probably the right move on their part.
Hehe I just hope the delay is for making a 500+ hp engine for a potential GS-F
Old 02-24-12, 10:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus needed to add some bolder lines on the flanks and more prominent fender flares. Unfortunately, I don't think Lexus has ever addressed these issues at a refresh, so let's hope the 4GS is enough of a success to warrant a 5GS that can right this car's wrongs.
Old 02-24-12, 10:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BNR34
I am going to get kill for saying this, I saw a 4GS on the street this morning for the 1st time, it aren't a F-Sport. Just from looking at the front, I totally thought it was a CT200. I was just thinking that CT200 looks pretty good. Then I see the side and realized why this particular "CT200" got extra presence.
actually you'd be the 2nd one. someone made another thread earlier mistaking a new gs as ct
Old 02-24-12, 11:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hehe I just hope the delay is for making a 500+ hp engine for a potential GS-F
GS-F will probably have bulging fenders, like IS-F, and thus MPLexus will be happy too :-)

Quick Reply: GS350 F-sport test drive review