GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tpms(tire pressure monitoring system) f sport

Old 02-10-12, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
My opinion if you plan on doing an aftermaret wheel & tire set up.

Options:
  • A) Remove current TPMS sensors from OEM wheels and transfer into new wheel setup.
    Involves cracking open the oem wheels to retreive them.

• B) Purchase a new set of TMPS sensors and install them on your new wheels & tires.
    Involves a trip to the dealership to remove current registered set of ID numbers and replace them with the new set of ID numbers via the Techstream Laptop.

Personally, I would go with option B.. For the pure fact of not "touching" the oem wheels & tires

Joe Z
i would go with option c -- ignore any warnings

ok, just kidding. can they retrieve the ID numbers that are programmed in already? i guess to me i like option A more
Old 02-10-12, 10:18 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rominl
i would go with option c -- ignore any warnings

ok, just kidding. can they retrieve the ID numbers that are programmed in already? i guess to me i like option A more
LoL

I'm sure they can... But if your going with Option A, you will be able see the ID numbers printed on the sensor themselves..

Or

If you going with Option B, before they erase all the original registered sensors, you will be able to write down the codes to reinput when and if needed at a later date..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-10-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 03:12 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm waiting for my wheels with TPMS installed and I'm looking into how to program these new sensors into my car. Someone just told me Discount Tires has a scanner to read the ID off the sensors and then program it into the car. So no need to go to Lexus dealer. I'll find out when my wheels arrive.

Anyone else have any experience programming a different set of TMPS sensors into your 4GS without going to the dealer?
Old 07-31-13, 03:31 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4
I'm waiting for my wheels with TPMS installed and I'm looking into how to program these new sensors into my car. Someone just told me Discount Tires has a scanner to read the ID off the sensors and then program it into the car. So no need to go to Lexus dealer. I'll find out when my wheels arrive.

Anyone else have any experience programming a different set of TMPS sensors into your 4GS without going to the dealer?
Were you required to use a different set of TMPS? I had mine swapped into the new tires with no problem. The only place I have heard is discount tire or maybe a good tire shop who has had some experience with TMPS.
Old 07-31-13, 06:12 PM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered a new set of sensors for the wheels and tires I ordered. The install shop will take care of the TPMS, they said.
Old 07-31-13, 06:39 PM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this is all you need:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...s-at-home.html
Old 07-31-13, 07:46 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The TPMS sensors on the 4GS is new to Discount Tires. Last couple months when I had my wheels swap they won't able to scan it, they will need to break down the bead to read the code.
Old 08-01-13, 02:16 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

TPMS has been a thorn in the side for me! In June I received my set up from a So cal online company ready to slap on (they used ITM sensors). $31/sensor. This particular shop has programmed them for another GS, so I know it is possible. The next week I called Lexus for a programming quote, $115. At that time I said no thank you. Called a local shop, and said they would do it for $20. They almost had it but during the final step realized their software only had up to 2012 GS, so they updated their software the following week. By that time the TPMS failure warning had showed up on my console, it comes on intermittently, but hasn't come up in a week or so. When I took it back to the shop, for some reason the TPMS would not even read?? They tried on 3 different occasions. Ok, so I had my 15K service at Lexus last week and I asked them again how much? I was told $195, with no guarantees since they were aftermarket. That's 1.5 hrs labor @ $125/hr!! I am guessing he was going to pull the sensors out for the codes?? Again I said no go. I will just wait until I need new tires. The owner of the shop said he felt bad and would pull the OEM's from the stock set up and put them in the new set up for $100. Damn good price, but I want to have those as a fall back. I will figure it out someday. Sad out here in Cen Cal I lack the resources of the bay and So Cal.

Bottom line is too bad I didn't see this thread sooner! Hope some of you get a laugh, and no one has the issues I have. I am not too worried about it, nothing too serious.
Old 08-01-13, 10:32 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should be a no charge item for a tire shop to pull sensors from stock setup to install into new rims and tires.

For the winter setup, most people just leave them off.
Old 08-01-13, 11:00 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

If it involves demounting a tire and mounting it back on, ain't no shop going to do that for free.
Old 08-01-13, 12:41 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Were you required to use a different set of TMPS?
Not required to have a different set. I think most people here reuse their old sensors. But then if they have to go back to stock they'll have to remove tires to get to those tpms. That could be a PIA and potential wheel damage.

From my research the 4GS uses the same 315MHz tpms sensor as the 2012 Camry, Yaris, as well as the 2013 Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ. Quite a few shops can scan for the tpms ID's without removing tires (OTC 3833, 3834). However to input that ID into the car's computer requires a computer scan tool to access the car's OBD. This process is generally true for a lot of asian cars. Domestic cars don't require so many steps.

From a few conversations this morning quite a few shops don't understand the difference which surprised me. So you have to sort of know what to ask when you call the shops. i.e.. can your machine scan for tpms ID's without removing tires. If yes, do you have scan tool to access car's OBD to enter those new ID's.

There are some machines that can clone tpms. So that it can tag two different tpms with the same ID. So once you clone two wheels with two tpms you can switch them and the car can't tell the difference and will still read the pressure of the wheel that's installed. The tool reference above cannot scan for ID's so you do have to have the actual ID.

Last edited by mso4; 08-01-13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 01:51 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
If it involves demounting a tire and mounting it back on, ain't no shop going to do that for free.
I guess I got lucky then. But then again I did just drop over $1K for new tires so maybe they just wanted to make sure I didn't change my mind?
Old 08-01-13, 02:10 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

That I can see. You spend $1K on tires with them and they can take a few extra steps do do it right. These days, deals like that are getting to be more and more rare. Remember when gas stations use to give out free air so you can fill your tires? No one does that anymore. Soon they will charge you to wash your windows with their squeegee. LOL
Old 08-01-13, 09:18 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Originally Posted by praetor
Yeah I had spent nothing with this shop so there was no way they would do it for free, especially since they would have to dismount 2 sets of tires. Since I had the tires nitrogen filled that's another reason I am going to hold off. That's added cost of course.

Last edited by GSthe4th; 08-01-13 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 10:05 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got different wheels on my car , I had to put some new TPMS sensors, so I got a set from VDO, which they made it for the 2011 GS and, so I told them I will try it in my car and also in the aftermarket wheels, they were not sure, so i tried it, it fit and had my friend scan it and transfer it to ECM and no light came on,$50 a pc worth it, at least u dont have to take the old ones out and damage it, which I have seen it before, they brake it and ur stuck,I will post the the part number if u guys were interested in it, let me know I will let u know where to get it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tpms(tire pressure monitoring system) f sport