GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 07:45 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The image is not from Canada, it's a JDM model.
Oh that would make more sense.

Originally Posted by itruns
I agree, I wish the would let a customer have a bit more flexiblity on some things. I want fog lights and wood on a F-sport.
Yes I totally agree, they are always close but so far away from want the consumer wants, If I want to add wood to my F-Sport I should be able to if I want to choose fog lights I should be able to like Mercedes, they have a choice of fog lights or LED fog lights. Also I'm finding out they have gotten rid of the side view mirror being electronic, that is something I would want and should be my choice not Lexus. It seems I might wait tell next year in hopes for a redo on certain amenities.

Originally Posted by mordecai
I really want to know why the US, Lexus' biggest market, is getting gimped on certain features? Yeah, there is cost blah blah, but would Lexus really lose their price advantage compared to the 5-series and E-class if they featured those options? Another argument would be that Lexus wants to create distinct characters for these different models, which could be why the F-Sport does not have the fog lamps or that the 3 LED headlamps are limited to the hybrid model in the US model, or that there is no F-Sport version of the GS450h (not 100% about the last one). But I'm going to argue that it actually hurts Lexus more by not offering these things in the US than they gain from shaving a couple of thousand dollars from MSRP or having distinct GS models .
Agree with this, the biggest market and we get chumped on features that should be offered in the US but are only offered in either Japan or europe. I think the sales will not do as well when people find out about certian features, I know my dealer told me that the F-Sport not having fog lights lost the dealership a sale.
Old 02-09-12, 10:11 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jtrue28

Still trying to figure out how to keep the car in Sport+ on startup...as it is now I have to turn the **** twice everytime I start the car. Need to find out if the dealer can change this.

We have to click our IS-F's into "Sport Mode" every time...

Most likely will be the same on this newer system as well..

~ Joe Z
Old 02-09-12, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
I really want to know why the US, Lexus' biggest market, is getting gimped on certain features? Yeah, there is cost blah blah, but would Lexus really lose their price advantage compared to the 5-series and E-class if they featured those options? Another argument would be that Lexus wants to create distinct characters for these different models, which could be why the F-Sport does not have the fog lamps or that the 3 LED headlamps are limited to the hybrid model in the US model, or that there is no F-Sport version of the GS450h (not 100% about the last one). But I'm going to argue that it actually hurts Lexus more by not offering these things in the US than they gain from shaving a couple of thousand dollars from MSRP or having distinct GS models .

Will keep on saying this: the GS450h F-Sport with special grille and bumper, 3 LED headlights, in Riviera Red, with the big wheels is currently the sexiest Lexus out. Looks much better than any competitor.
i am totally with you. but my guess is, if they allow all those "extra things" like fogs and led headlights, etc... it starts to push the car into price range that lexus doesn't feel comfortable with
Old 02-09-12, 11:11 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

May be Lexus needs to read the tagline from Rominl's signature
Do it once and do it right. Do your homework to get it right.
Old 02-09-12, 12:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
May be Lexus needs to read the tagline from Rominl's signature
Do it once and do it right. Do your homework to get it right.
haha not sure if i go that far. in lexus defense, i do think their decisions are for a reason, as much as we might not like. maybe they want to gradually add in these new "options" over the years to keep the car fresh. again not saying that's the case or if i am a fan, but it's a strategy in some way
Old 02-10-12, 11:23 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change of mind, I do believe it's the "character traits" theory now because I just remembered how you are stuck with the aluminum trim on the F-Sport. Too much evidence pointing to that theory. I love the way Lexus has handled the new GS, like its new performance-heavy ideals and sharper design with more personality (let's face it if they made the 4GS drive just like the 3GS with new sheetmetal, there would be even more outrage on the internetz/enthusiast communities). But little things like these inflexible restrictions on the 4GS kinda sour the awesomeness Lexus is bringing right now (and in the near future)
Old 02-10-12, 07:07 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I went to the Lexus of North Miami launch event today. Here are my takeaways:

Stunning interior, Butterface
  1. The interior is fantastic. Way better than Audi, Mercedes, Infiniti or Jaguar. On par with BMW (some better bits, some worse bits)
  2. I like that the HUD has RPM, although the HUD display is small and monochrome - nowhere near as up to date as the BMW full color large HUD
  3. The luxury package version is gorgeous. I think these are the best seats I have encountered on a luxury car - better than the vaunted BMW seats. Also the wood trim is top notch - I criticized the 3GS trim as being Camry like, but this wood trim is world class. I love the wood steering wheel. One of the best wheels out there.
  4. The F-Sport package interior looks cheap. They should have an F-Sport luxury package. Also the seats on the F-Sport are not as good as the Luxury package. They lack the pivot on the seat back, and the passenger seat only has very basic adjustment. Also no rear AC controls and no wood trim on F-Sport model. Also the steering wheel on F-Sport is pretty crumby - not thick like BMW's M-Sport wheel, and yet it doesn't have the gorgeous wood wheel of the basic model. I think they made a mistake here - the 535i M-Sport has a much nicer interior than the GS350 F-Sport, and only because on the BMW you can get upgraded leather, wood trim, 18 way seats all round, rear AC controls, etc.
  5. They didn't let me drive one (only had corporate cars - said I could come back on Friday and drive an inventory car. However they took me for a ride in the front passenger seat and it appears to drive very well. Handling is excellent - clearly in BMW/Audi camp and way better than the Infiniti or Mercedes - it feels very planted. Importantly there are no rattles - the car feels really solid like a German car. Also the sound of the engine is superb - really engages you.
  6. Excellent sound system. Probably best in class.
  7. The tactile remote touch interface on this model works really well. I hated it on the HS, but I love it on the GS.
  8. The GPS does not let passenger program it while car is in motion - Seriously WTF!
  9. Some nice bonus details - adjustable side bolsters on luxury package and F-Sport drivers seat, butterfly headrests, RPM on HUD, huge trunk, very nice quality wood trim and aluminum trim, the clock. Also switchgear looks Lexus - don't see any Toyota switchgear here.
  10. Some things which are still omissions (a bit cheap) - headrests are still not electrically adjustable, sunroof screen is not electric, no electric trunk, lack of soft-close doors, passenger seat on F-Sport model, lack of four zone climate, lack of surround cameras, retro map graphics, etc.
  11. The car is so ugly - honestly if I was Akio, I would find the designer and torture him to death Caligula style. This car will sell maybe 50% of what it could sell if it had a vaguely decent exterior design. It looks like a generic cheap Japanese car on the outside. The taillights and headlights in particular look bog standard - they could be on an Acura or Honda.
  12. Can't wait to take a test drive
  13. I won't be in market for a GSF. This car is just too ugly and there is nothing the F Dept can do to change that. My next car will be M6 Gran Coupe.

I took a lot of pics, including a side by side versus my beautiful (but very dirty and unwashed) 550i.
Old 02-10-12, 08:12 PM
GSfsport
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my dealer wont allow any test drive of their fsport due to the reason that the car is reserved to get bought and corp. of lexus wont allow them to sell the f sport until after ppl from corp. stop by the dealership to present the gs line up to the public
Old 02-10-12, 10:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSfsport
my dealer wont allow any test drive of their fsport due to the reason that the car is reserved to get bought and corp. of lexus wont allow them to sell the f sport until after ppl from corp. stop by the dealership to present the gs line up to the public
that's quite a bummer
Old 02-11-12, 02:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's quite a bummer
Man if you understood that...i give you major props.
Old 02-12-12, 11:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but I stopped taking this review seriously as soon as I saw you compared an AWD GS350 model to your modified 550i M-Sport. Overall an irrelevant exterior comparison, as the AWD GS350 sits a bit higher than a regular GS model, so it doesn't look as good. You chose to compare the WORST GS model in terms of exterior styling to your 5 Series, and the specific 5 Series variant you have is one of the best in terms of exterior styling of the F10 5 Series model. The proper exterior comparison should have been between your car and a GS350 F-Sport RWD. Also saying that the GS has "bog standard" head and taillights is totally ignoring the styling evolution from other Lexus models. It is very clear that the headlights and tails are similar style-wise to the IS, LS, and CT. Not being able to tell them apart from a Honda or Acura would mean you would be someone with no clue about cars.

As time goes on, I am actually finding the exterior of the F10 5 Series less and less appealing. The grille is too upright, and with such an upright kidney grille it looks like the car has buckteeth.