Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-12, 05:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Here are the images uploaded to imgur:

I think the GS holds its own, but still not on par with your considerably more expensive 550i. I think had the GS grill slats been chrome like with the 5er, and it had the 450h headlights, the GS would be on par.

What's really unexpected is the size of the GS compared to the 5er. While it's shorter, overall it looks chunkier and larger. Maybe because it rides higher?
thanks for the link, very interesting comparison there

maybe it's the height, but i think the bulky hood lines on the 4gs makes it look bigger from up front. i have noticed it since the beginning, not a bad thing actually. when looking at the rear, i don't feel the 4gs as "bigger" anymore
Old 02-01-12, 05:39 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeISF
Great pics! But I really dont like the new GS. I still cant figure why, but I think they went overboard with the aggressive front end, and bland interior.
If that interior is bland to you, I would like to see your definition of a nice interior. But to each his own I guess
Old 02-01-12, 06:13 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a bad choice of words. I just dont think it matches the aggressive exterior. Dont get me wrong, its very nice, but maybe should have been designed a little better.

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
If that interior is bland to you, I would like to see your definition of a nice interior. But to each his own I guess
Old 02-01-12, 06:16 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review. I was to attend this event but sadly missed it today. I might make the Pembroke Pines debut.
Old 02-01-12, 06:18 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
thanks for the link, very interesting comparison there

maybe it's the height, but i think the bulky hood lines on the 4gs makes it look bigger from up front. i have noticed it since the beginning, not a bad thing actually. when looking at the rear, i don't feel the 4gs as "bigger" anymore
The GS is quite a bit higher. WHen I pulled along side, the GS seemed to be about 2 inches higher at the window and hood lines. Most of that was coming from fender gap. The Lexus guys liked that I pulled alongside and they were comparing the cars. Their takeaway was that the Lexus needs to be lowered. They also shared my perspective on the exterior design.

On the whole they felt good though, especially when I told them that the window sticker on my car is $85k and the GS is $58k.

They really should fire the designer though. Burns was able to improve it in photoshop in 5 minutes. The tail lights are really bad. The orange showing, the use of LED dots instead of LED tubes. The 3GS taillights are much nicer than the 4GS ones. There are only 2 exterior aspects I like - the exhaust, and the door mirrors. I had expected this car to look better in reality than in the photos, but actually I think it looks better in photos than in the flesh.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-01-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 06:41 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^
The GS below would probably be more fitting next to your 5er.

Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics-g5tap.jpg

There are a lot of things I would improve on the design, even with just minor tweaks with the details. I'd start with the non-hybrid headlight cluster, and grill. The tail lights are in need of a redo.

What did you think of the paint? From pics the paint quality on these looks fantastic.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 02-01-12 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 07:01 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
^^
The GS below would probably be more fitting next to your 5er.

There are a lot of things I would improve on the design, even with just minor tweaks with the details. I'd start with the non-hybrid headlight cluster, and grill. The tail lights are in need of a redo.

What did you think of the paint? From pics the paint quality on these looks fantastic.
The bright red looked great. I like the fact that the metallic sparkles were very small and close to surface. Reminds me a lot of the Xirallic finish on my BMW. The Black is superb, but Lexus has always had the best Black in my opinion. I was not a fan of the maroon/brown color pictured. The White looks awful.

The Lexus should have smaller headlights. It's as if the headlight cluster is designed for halogens, even though they have LEDs. If you look at the pics, the BMW headlights are a lot smaller, same with the Audis. Big headlights look retro - the 6 series has the same problem.
Old 02-01-12, 07:07 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The bright red looked great. I like the fact that the metallic sparkles were very small and close to surface. Reminds me a lot of the Xirallic finish on my BMW. The Black is superb, but Lexus has always had the best Black in my opinion. I was not a fan of the maroon/brown color pictured. The White looks awful.
Yeah I like the red as well:

Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics-feuoa.jpg

Again, something about a red car with a curvy fender/hood and swoopy door mounted mirrors. The car has its own attractions but a lot of small issues with the design prevent it from being really special as a whole.
Old 02-01-12, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Okay I can speak my mind now. I honestly are completely underwhelmed with the 4GS in the looks department, a first for me when a GS debuted. To me its like the 4GS could be the 3GS, it simply doesn't say "hey I'm all new" outside of the front grill. Stock I am not a fan of it losing the vertical grill slants and the quad lamps. I really hope Lexus doesn't shoot themselves in the foot by VASTLY improving the GS but not attracting enough attention outside of the grill.

On the other hand lets be completely honest here. The entire segment is bland, boring and predictable. E classes and 5 series are so common you don't even look at them. The Jag XF is a looker but no one buys it.

Will Lexus get 2,000 buyers a month for the new GS. I honestly think so and I think its attracting new people to Lexus. In my conversations I've found non-Lexus owners more approving of the design than in the past.

I really hope people try this car b/c when you get past the exterior, everything else is really sensational.

It also 99% of the time just takes bigger wheels, a drop, some tint and light mods to completely change the look of a vehicle.
Old 02-01-12, 07:18 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Will Lexus get 2,000 buyers a month for the new GS. I honestly think so and I think its attracting new people to Lexus. In my conversations I've found non-Lexus owners more approving of the design than in the past.

I really hope people try this car b/c when you get past the exterior, everything else is really sensational.

It also 99% of the time just takes bigger wheels, a drop, some tint and light mods to completely change the look of a vehicle.
I agree they will sell 2000 cars, but I think they could sell 3000-4000 cars if the car was better looking. I think many customers don't even bother to test drive before buying. This is a lot of demand they will miss out on due to bad decision making in design sign-off.

Also wheel upgrades and drops help, but seriously nobody buys a car with that intent. You should try to convince them that Vossen should start designing their OEM wheels going forward. That would be a good first step. Whoeever designed these wheels should not get the contract for the next IS, ES and SC.

There are so many things they did amazingly well, that this one thing is so painful.

Last edited by *Batman*; 02-01-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 08:37 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Chrome all around grill and blacked out divider

Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics-qvxzz.jpg
Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics-juoe6.jpg

LS and ES will have the chrome ring around the grill.
Old 02-01-12, 08:45 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too much chrome is terrible. Its so 90s.
Old 02-01-12, 09:16 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics and write up...thank you

I haven't seen the new GS in person yet, but from pictures, I'd agree that the front end is the only interesting part of the design. As Mike has mentioned, the car lost it's coupe silhouette so that more upright greenhouse in combination with 2IS design cues leaves me wishing for more. I also worry about the lack of available wood trim in the F Sport model...why can't you have your sport AND luxury?

Every aspect of the interior is amazing, IMO. The flaxen leather and matte wood paired with fire agate exterior paint....yummmm
Old 02-01-12, 11:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The GS is quite a bit higher. WHen I pulled along side, the GS seemed to be about 2 inches higher at the window and hood lines. Most of that was coming from fender gap. The Lexus guys liked that I pulled alongside and they were comparing the cars. Their takeaway was that the Lexus needs to be lowered. They also shared my perspective on the exterior design.

thanks again for the details, exactly what we want to know. so the gs has more wheel gap? i really wish lexus cars come out with less wheel gap, they can pull that off no problem

also if you can refer to my previous post and the questions that'd be much appreciated!
Old 02-02-12, 01:09 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
thanks again for the details, exactly what we want to know. so the gs has more wheel gap? i really wish lexus cars come out with less wheel gap, they can pull that off no problem

also if you can refer to my previous post and the questions that'd be much appreciated!
Unfortunately the wheel gap is a consequence of dynamic ride control. To range the suspension from comfort to sport you need height. Whereas if you had a pure sport setup you can lower it. Only way around this is if you use Air instead of Springs. Even the M5 is higher now. However Lexus can be a bit tighter than they are.

Quick Reply: Lexus of North Miami Launch Pics