GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus to Reveal All-New 2013 GS 350 with F SPORT Package at 2011 SEMA Show

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

mike, all i can say is i expected you to have more understanding on the m cars.

i am happy that i become a lexus hater while trying to defend the brand
Old 10-26-11, 08:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
mike, all i can say is i expected you to have more understanding on the m cars.

i am happy that i become a lexus hater while trying to defend the brand
It seems the industry is moving to no fogs in the lower valance..why pick on Lexus for doing it?
Old 10-26-11, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It seems the industry is moving to no fogs in the lower valance..why pick on Lexus for doing it?
because the normal 4gs has it? that means the fsport doesn't have it for a reason.

look, i don't care if the fsport doesn't have it. i said early on already i am totally ok with no fogs, they are just artistic touches like spoilers for example (imho). and i like the fsport front end design far more than normal 4gs. can i fault you for not mentioning those things that i have said now?

i was TRYING to defend why lexus omitted fogs from the fsport, and i hoped for weight saving plus other reasons (just weight saving doesn't cut it).
Old 10-26-11, 09:21 AM
LexFather

because the normal 4gs has it? that means the fsport doesn't have it for a reason.

look, i don't care if the fsport doesn't have it. i said early on already i am totally ok with no fogs, they are just artistic touches like spoilers for example (imho). and i like the fsport front end design far more than normal 4gs. can i fault you for not mentioning those things that i have said now?

i was TRYING to defend why lexus omitted fogs from the fsport, and i hoped for weight saving plus other reasons (just weight saving doesn't cut it).
Well we both love fogs ...I just think its for stylistic reasons and again, what the Germans are now doing....I much prefer fogs....balances out the front end to me...we are talking about 10lbs max here
Old 10-26-11, 10:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i am the last person to want to believe cost cutting. i think you missed my earlier post where it might be for weight reduction AND other reason (like air inlet). but just weight saving alone i think that's a silly reason, fogs can't save you that much. i TRY to defend lexus here for crying out loud. for argument sake, someone can always say they try to up the interior which means higher interior cost and thus need to reduce cost somewhere else. i don't want to think that way, but your post simply opened up that door

and don't try to bring m3 / m5 into the discussion, that only shows you have no idea on those cars. they took out the fogs for weight reduction and those are air inlet for other purposes.
wait, so M3 and M5 do it for weight reduction? But who knows why GS does it? :-).
Old 10-26-11, 11:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks stunning............but why no front fog lamps???

IS F-sport package has them

IS F as well

and even the LS Vertex Edition too

heck the CT200 has them even in F-sport version

If it's not for weight saving or air inflow purposes, then what is the reason? Otherwise, if there's none, then why remove them?

The regular versions have them

So why are they gone in the F-sport version?

P.S.
Originally Posted by spwolf
fogs are useless
I disagree.

blue light does not do well against fog or low-lighting. Yellow is the best color for this (which I believe most fog lamps are colored this way). Basic color theory states that selective yellow can best penetrate thru fog because of the light dispersion pattern of yellow and amber particles.

That and, if what you say is really true, then why does the EU require rear foglamps then??? Under ECE Regulation number 48, it has become mandatory in EU territories for decades now.....

Btw, our family has this cheap**** Asian Utility Vehicle (mostly vehicles used in the developing world) and my, it has front foglamps.

So I can't understand why the F-sport version would NOT have front fog lamps since:

1) All other Lexus F-sport and F vehicles HAVE THEM
2) The regular versions of the GS have them
3) And even our cheap**** rust-bucket Asian Utility Vehicle has them too.

So why no front fogs then?

Either way, if I'm getting the GS with an F-sport package, I'll ask Lexus to remove the front side vents and install front fogs.
Old 10-26-11, 12:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

front fog lights are useless... back ones are not and should be only used at risk of criminal prosecution :-).

I suggest you look at M3, M5 and XF-R to see why no fog lights :-).
Old 10-26-11, 12:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wait, so M3 and M5 do it for weight reduction? But who knows why GS does it? :-).
do you have reading problems or what? i said weight reduction AND air inlet for cooling (which is a bigger part of the functional application). what are you missing here?
Old 10-26-11, 01:04 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the gray and that look. Holy crap, very excited about what a GS-F could be if we get one.
Old 10-26-11, 01:09 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow, so heated just for the fog.

For whatever unknown reasons can we all just leave it alone. May be the actual production cars will have it or not. May be ALL new FSport or F cars from now on will not have fogs at all, starting with the GS-F Sport.
Old 10-26-11, 01:19 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

saving weight? In any case, fogs are useless, and this looks a lot better than with fogs.
Lower Fogs add character to a car, and help with driving in back country roads where street light is a minimum.
Old 10-26-11, 01:27 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I don't think so.
The industry moved in 2002-03, realized it is not what customers want, is back to lower fogs.
Toyota/Lexus is just following the same trail here. In a year or two, it will have lower fogs standard.
Old 10-26-11, 01:33 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I love the interior.
Exterior looks like any other sedan from Japan.
Old 10-26-11, 01:46 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B/C I don't know why but when Lexus becomes the topic of conversation it becomes a feces fling fest in many cases, sometimes over minuscule things.
So here are examples of cars with no fogs. Cost cutting for them all? How come when we see these cars people don't start instantly screaming "OMG COST CUTTING NO FOGS OMG OMG"

Now I am not saying the GS F-sport is a competitor to these cars but as we all can see either now or refreshned, they don't have fog lights. (in the lower bumper).

Where is the rage, OMG NO FOG LIGHTS??
Your post actually makes the reason of no fogs on the GS350 F-Sport obvious. In all the pics you posted, the air inlets in place of the fogs are functional, designed for high performance driving in cars that are designed to be driven hard, with proper high performance to match. The GS350 F-Sport on the other hand has non-functional, faux air inlets and has no performance to back up that look. Since cost cutting is very unlikely the reason for such a move, the only reason left for the omission of the fogs is to create a poseur look of the real deal. Hate to say it but that is the only possible reason now.

Last edited by ydooby; 10-26-11 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 02:36 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

]

A TL owner can't call anything overdone

The engine is fine, it still is among fastest in class with also best MPG in class (could it get a power bump, yes, I agree). Lexus has appealed to more than just grey haired FWD buying luxury cars for 2 decades and continues to expand their sport. They should be commended for offering such a package, not insulted. From turbo IS 300s with 800hp to modified hybrids there have been Lexus owners tuned to sport for sometime now.

Bigger brakes, F-sport specific interior/exterior, staggered 19" wheels, yaw control, updated AVS, lowered, this ain't just a bodykit. This is a really good package and early reviews state it drives well.

It also is lighter. especially considering how upgraded it is to the past generation.

I can totally understand not liking the front end but the overall package is pretty good if you want a V-6 and it blows out anything from anyone not BMW.
If my TL was a 11 or earlier I would agree with you. Mine is a '12 which is toned down.

I know all about the current engine - remember, I have one!

I'm not supposed to "insult" the car? Sorry, I don't consider it an insult, I consider it my opinion of how the car looks.

While there may be some Lexus' out there that have been pumped up, I stand behind my opinion that Lexus image is overwhelmingly that of catering to old men and blue haired ladies. Let's not forget that I own one, and I also own a Z06 Corvette - so consider the source before you take issue with me saying that. I like the car a lot.

While you are extolling the fact that Lexus is not stepping up and adding an F-Sport package, keep in mind that the contents are almost identical to the Sport package offered on the LS460. That is by far the most over priced sport package I've ever seen, and they basically cannot give them away. Why do you think the F-Sport package on the GS350 is going to do any better? As you prepare your answer, I agree that the GS350 likely has a better chance than the LS, but if they price the package at over $6,000 as they do on the LS, it will likely suffer the same fate.

Quick Reply: Lexus to Reveal All-New 2013 GS 350 with F SPORT Package at 2011 SEMA Show