GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I still can't believe the 4GS will not have a V8 option!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 10:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
There's no hatin' there.
We're not saying ALL //M/ AMG owners are slow.

Of course people buy these cars for the speed, don't they? However, there are few small percentage who have these cars and barrrrely drive speed limit.

I agree with Gojirra. I've seen these drivers not the 55 amg but with the 65 amg, both hands on the steering wheel, horse blinders on, while sporting a big hp personalized plate, and just drive 40-50mph on a freeway with a nice stretch to open it up. It's soooo sad to see this

I'm behind them for at least 5-10 minutes to see if they get to normal speed limit at least.
It doesn't mean you have to go drive 100mph and endanger everyone, but geez, can you go speed limit at least???

You're not in this percentile so there's nothing to worry here
i will admit i am on the aggressive side as a driver but looking at how some these m and amg are driven, there is just no way they are being "cautious". there is a difference between knowing how to drive but decide to drive carefully, vs don't really know how to drive and struggling to stay in one lane
Old 09-15-11, 10:47 AM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only the other day I saw a lady, probably in her 80s, doing ~35 mph on a freeway (speed limit 65 mph in Northern California), in an M5. At least she was in the slow lane ...
Old 09-15-11, 01:13 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Well Said...

This unfortunately has become the reality for many former Lexus owners including myself. This new GS on paper does not appear to solve any of these concerns either.
Please count me among those who wish Lexus success with the new GS! Those here who know me know that I wasn't crazy about the looks of the 3rd generation GS...in fact, I once referred to it as soulless. Looks-wise, the 4th generation car is going to take some getting used to; however, I want this car to be a winner in its class because competition (among the 5 Series, A6, and E Class) will, most certainly, only serve to improve the breed.
Old 09-15-11, 01:17 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Glaphmion
Only the other day I saw a lady, probably in her 80s, doing ~35 mph on a freeway (speed limit 65 mph in Northern California), in an M5. At least she was in the slow lane ...
Perhaps it was a loaner! [Anything is possible in Cali!]
Old 09-15-11, 02:02 PM
User 121523
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Please count me among those who wish Lexus success with the new GS! Those here who know me know that I wasn't crazy about the looks of the 3rd generation GS...in fact, I once referred to it as soulless. Looks-wise, the 4th generation car is going to take some getting used to; however, I want this car to be a winner in its class because competition (among the 5 Series, A6, and E Class) will, most certainly, only serve to improve the breed.
I'm actually starting to notice the hourglass motif on other Lexus vehicles, just in more subtle ways (see RX, CT, even ES). I wasn't a huge fan of the concept car, but with the tone-down in the production version, I'm actually having to consciously remind myself that my plan was to not upgrade until 2014 -- because if I stop reminding myself, I just might line up outside Lexus for the first batch of GS coming out next year.
Old 09-18-11, 08:24 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
They're not going to upstage the flagship (LS). The GS won't have a new engine until after they release the new LS. Same thing happened in 2005/2006.
Well they could upgrade the LS engine mid cycle. They've done that before on the GS.
Old 09-18-11, 08:26 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Amen to that.
Old 09-18-11, 05:45 PM
LexFather

I'm going to post a thread about this in car chat but though I'd share here. Mind you I 100% feel the GS should have a V-8 at launch and I'm very disappointed it does not.

In this month's EVO where they chose the LFA over the 500 GTO, there is an editorial about the demise of the V-8 AND 6 cylinder...

Seems in the U.K, in a year, only 51 550 BMWs have been sold....they then state 60 Ferrari 599s were sold that same time. It looks like 70% of the 5 series sold in the U.K are now 4 cylinder 5 series!
Old 09-18-11, 07:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm going to post a thread about this in car chat but though I'd share here. Mind you I 100% feel the GS should have a V-8 at launch and I'm very disappointed it does not.

In this month's EVO where they chose the LFA over the 500 GTO, there is an editorial about the demise of the V-8 AND 6 cylinder...

Seems in the U.K, in a year, only 51 550 BMWs have been sold....they then state 60 Ferrari 599s were sold that same time. It looks like 70% of the 5 series sold in the U.K are now 4 cylinder 5 series!
i think that makes sense. especially in european countries, they have always been very conscious on engine sizes due to regulations, gas prices, etc...

one question i have (i really don't know the answer), how's the annual sales of cars here in northern american, number wise, compared to other regions?
Old 09-18-11, 08:38 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The 550 part doesn't surprise me, but the 4 cylinder part does. The 5 series I see the most around London is the 530D which is a 6 cylinder diesel.

The UK is largely a company car market though. In the US I have been quite impressed how many 550 models are being sold. Part of it is due pricing. If you adjust for equipment level differences, they only charge an extra $2500 for the engine which offers you 100 more hp. The 550 is a bargain.
Old 09-22-11, 07:55 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The 550 part doesn't surprise me, but the 4 cylinder part does. The 5 series I see the most around London is the 530D which is a 6 cylinder diesel.

The UK is largely a company car market though. In the US I have been quite impressed how many 550 models are being sold. Part of it is due pricing. If you adjust for equipment level differences, they only charge an extra $2500 for the engine which offers you 100 more hp. The 550 is a bargain.
I don't know about the bmw but I was told by a Sales Person from MB that they sell one e550 to every 20 e350. That probably seems like a legit number as I don't see very many e550's on the road. I assume that number is fairly close for the 3gs as well.
Old 09-22-11, 08:37 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Here in Atlanta, I'd say the mix is probably 30% 550i / 20% 535i / 50% 528i. E Class is probably something like 25% E 350 / 75% E 550.

These are, of course, my very scientific measurements
Old 09-22-11, 10:11 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Article

Following the debut of the Lexus LFA Concept, Toyota’s luxury brand brought a roadster version of the study to the auto show circuit in 2008. Known as the Lexus LFA Roadster Concept, the study gave us hopes and dreams of a drop-top variant to the company’s $375,000 supercar.

Unfortunately, those hopes and dreams are being shattered today. Bill Kwong of Lexus Division Communication tells us that the Lexus LFA Roadster “was purely a concept and was created as the result of a styling exercise. He said that “there were no plans for a production version.”

We then decided to ask Kwong about the possibility of a V8 option for the new Lexus GS sedan, a question that is been bothering since the launch of the 2013 GS last month. At launch the 2013 Lexus GS is only being offered with V6 and hybrid powertrain. So will there be a V8?

“With gas prices escalating, the importance of the V8 engine in the GS/Mid-Luxury Segment is on the decline,” Kwong told us. “At launch, V6 and hybrid powertrains will be offered. Lexus is confident that the performance of its V6 engine will exceed the expectations of nearly all of its prospective buyers.”

Basically, that leaves you with the IS-F and the $375,000 LFA as the downright hardcore ‘sports cars’ from Lexus.
Old 09-24-11, 08:12 AM
LexFather

So I need to find this Bill Kwong and drag him to Japan after slapping the taste outta his mouth to explain to Lexus in Japan they are out of their gotdamn minds if they think the GS doesn't need a V-8 version, gas prices be damned. And yes he is just a messenger but a message must be sent to Japan

Great.......just great...well I'm happy for these articles as its giving me names on who I need to slap.

Lexus, you better bring a V-8 GS F soon to at least somewhat make up for this tragedy.
Old 09-24-11, 08:41 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

We then decided to ask Kwong about the possibility of a V8 option for the new Lexus GS sedan, a question that is been bothering since the launch of the 2013 GS last month. At launch the 2013 Lexus GS is only being offered with V6 and hybrid powertrain. So will there be a V8?

“With gas prices escalating, the importance of the V8 engine in the GS/Mid-Luxury Segment is on the decline,” Kwong told us. “At launch, V6 and hybrid powertrains will be offered. Lexus is confident that the performance of its V6 engine will exceed the expectations of nearly all of its prospective buyers.”
I'm fine if this is the position they're taking (not happy to hear it, but understand); I'm just glad to see them admit it rather than dance around the issue and say the V6 hybrid is an acceptable substitute for a V8 option. They're willing to cede buyers that want a V8 to other brands in exchange for a more competitive general offering. Not happy about this if no GS-F comes to bear as it moves the new GS lower down my shopping list.

Quick Reply: I still can't believe the 4GS will not have a V8 option!