GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I still can't believe the 4GS will not have a V8 option!

Old 10-26-11, 05:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why is it fine to trash Lexus for wheel gap, bad wheel choices etc but don't bring up a base German car without sport trim. They sell it, there are pics of it, its fair game. To the other end Benz has the splendid S63/S65 and Lexus has nothing to compete. Fair game.

The argument "oh the LS isn't in the same class as the Germans" is stated until one realizes you can get a 4 cylinder S-class or a FWD A8 etc overseas...then its "oh Lexus should offer that"

I am no fan of the LS facelift, much prefer the 07-08 version though.

They all have presence to me, even the Equus has luxury proportions. I wasn't a fan of the S-class SUV fender flares but IMO that car speaks "I HAVE ARRIVED".
because some people cant wait to complain about:
- wheel gap
- fogs cost cutting
- overhangs

As soon as Lexus makes something work, it is something else that is the "big problem". First it was wheel gap and now nobody mentions it anymore as F-Sport looks great. But it is irrelevant now.

Before that it was overhangs. People post tens of photoshops trying to show bigger overhangs in 2012 model. Then we found out they were actually smaller. And it becomes irrelevant. When 3 series comes out with larger overhangs, nobody complains at all. But here we get 10 page thread on it.

And now it is fog lights. It is ok for M5 not to have fog lights. When GS F-Sport doesnt have them, apparently it is obviously cost cutting from Lexus.

With 2006 GS it was technology, it was seats, it was plastics/leather, it was trunk room, it was back room. 2012 went on the top of the class of all of those points. And now it doesnt matter anymore. It is all about fog lights, who cares about 18 way seats? Leather dash? 12.3" dual screen display with internet apps? Not even to mention rear wheel drive and adjustable suspension that mags claimed drives better than competition. I see almost nobody mentioning that anymore.

Same goes for engine... yes, it is "same" engine...but enhanced. It was already among best in class, unlike competitor's turbos that have been crazy unreliable. Heck, it is faster car than 535i.

So we have "base" GS350 being faster than 528i and 535i... but thats not enough? Whats the benchmark? Because I dont see any benchmark...

GS350 F-Sport vs 535i, which is its biggest competitor:
1. Faster
2. Lighter
3. More advanced interior technology (Enform, 12.3" display)
4. Simply more luxurious interior (leather everywhere)
5. Handles probably better according to previews.
6. Cheaper / Better equipped
7. More reliable
8. No fog lights.

But apparently, thats not enough. It should be faster than BMW, more luxurious than Audi, quieter and smoother than Mercedes and cheaper than Hyundai.

:-).
Old 10-26-11, 05:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lmao, you should take things more easily. most of the adjectives you used in your posts are subjective anyway, similarly when bitkahuna says it, or when i say it, or when 1sicklex says it. just because some people prefer another brand doesn't mean they have no taste and care only about badges and lease rates.

I agree with this post. That is why I seldomly post on this forum. Anyways, about this
4GS lacking a V8. I honestly do not see Lexus excluding the v8 option for long. They are receiving too much flack from the press and will react by offering one to the not so distant future. Lexus truly can't let the likes of Hyundai leep frog them in the car game. I'll return when their is a V8 GS.. Signing off
Old 10-26-11, 08:37 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lmao, you should take things more easily. most of the adjectives you used in your posts are subjective anyway, similarly when bitkahuna says it, or when i say it, or when 1sicklex says it. just because some people prefer another brand doesn't mean they have no taste and care only about badges and lease rates.
I never said they had no taste, but the badge and lease rates probably do play a notable role.

The vibe I'm getting is that "oh it's German so it's automatically better" and that something like an S-class by default has to be better. Well I just showed one way that to me it isn't. I'd be interested to read about how it is for you - what part of the design you like best and think is better executed and contributes to better presence.
Old 10-26-11, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i know you had the LS, but you have an S550 now!?
lol you missed my fb picture, paul

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I never said they had no taste, but the badge and lease rates probably do play a notable role.

The vibe I'm getting is that "oh it's German so it's automatically better" and that something like an S-class by default has to be better. Well I just showed one way that to me it isn't. I'd be interested to read about how it is for you - what part of the design you like best and think is better executed and contributes to better presence.
i don't agree. germans don't mean it's better. i think you are making a very bad assumption there. i don't see anyone saying that here. when the e65/66 came out, i trashed that car to death. it was just horrible for the time. plenty of other germans that i don't like. i don't even like the 1 series or 1m, given how good the performance is. i don't think of any suv that can come close to the presence, stance, and capability of the lx570 / lc. you want me to continue?

stance is the overall design that gives people an impression about the whole presentation. it doesn't have to be a certain parts, and often that's not the case. that's why it's so subjective and why i respect others' choice. i have seen LS, S, and 7 all togerther at the redlight on opposite lane, all black too. which stands out most to me? to ME the s is, followed by ls, and then 7. to ME the s feels the most class. but you feel different and just fine.
Old 10-26-11, 09:13 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by spwolf
because some people cant wait to complain about:
- wheel gap
- fogs cost cutting
- overhangs

Please add the below to your LIST asap... Because I HIGHLY agree with Mike on this one...

~ Joe Z

I 100% agree the GS should have a GS 460/500 and be around 400hp at this point and this is pretty gotdamn INEXCUSABLE to me.
Lexus, I don't want to hear it. This is what you learned with the first generation and what the Germans offer.
I am hugely disappointed there is no V-8 offering.

Every time I think about it I want to chuck my computer.
Old 10-26-11, 09:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Please add the below to your LIST asap... Because I HIGHLY agree with Mike on this one...

~ Joe Z

"omg 1sick he just finds no wrong with Lexus"

If anyone wants to know the real reasons why someones doesn't post, please PM me..I got everything from screenshots to photos

Last edited by LexFather; 10-26-11 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-26-11, 10:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

~ Joe Z
well thats valid complaint right now, at least for you US guys... for Europeans, GS450h is too fast... I think most europeans would have preffered GS300h or something like that :-).
Old 10-26-11, 11:05 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"omg 1sick he just finds no wrong with Lexus"

If anyone wants to know the real reasons why someones doesn't post, please PM me..I got everything from screenshots to photos
Old 10-27-11, 10:58 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK13X
It's sad to think that Lexus is only looking at sales figures and not catering for the enthusiasts..
Here's the problem (and I am pulling these numbers out of thin air to create this analogy).

97% of Lexus owners are CUSTOMERS.

Customers don't really care about raw performance and they're the guys who make you rich.

3% of Lexus owners are ENTHUSIASTS.

Enthusiasts want performance, driving involvement and perhaps more interesting design, but they are in the minority and don't bring in as much cash as customers.

Now, from a logical business point of view, to whom would you cater?

BMW is experiencing the same problem right now. They took the complaints from their customers about the cramped cabin and somewhat uncomfortable E60 5er to heart and created the new F10 5er which is more spacious inside and clearly more comfortable. These are attributes which the majority of their CUSTOMERS want. Let's face it, these cars are bought as luxury items, not as driving machines. Only a small amount of 5 series owners actually drive their cars in a sporty fashion. However, these folks can still order a 5er with a manual transmission and experience a sporty drive. Perhaps the new F10 is just not as sporty as the E60 was, but it's still a sporty car. The BMW enthusiasts who want an extreme performing purist 5er have to opt for an M5 (or a used E60 5er).

However - BMW still offers purist cars for enthusiasts, namely the 1M, M3 and M6 (dare I say the X5/X6 Ms) and of course the new aforementioned M5.

Personally, I am not bothered by this at all. I am not your typical shopper who is interested in a car from this class, but at the same time I cannot comprehend why people are so obsessed with driving these overweight and oversized family/business/luxury sedans in a sporty fashion. In the case of the BMW 5er, I say let BMW make it more comfortable. The BMW enthusiast who wants a purist driving machine can opt for a 1 series/1M or a 3 series/M3, which are smaller, lighter and much better handling than a 5er/M5 ever will be.

Regarding the lack of a V8, I personally could care less. I'm the kind of guy who wants a nice luxury car for its features and ride quality, not performance (I value fuel economy over performance).

I do agree that the GS needs a V8 to at least be competitive to those who want a V8 at all costs for whatever reasons.
Old 11-02-11, 12:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUdvTsdg0g

question asked by our famous 1sicklex. either they are working it secretly, or they just don't care about anything v8 or gsf so far
Old 11-02-11, 01:51 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwUdvTsdg0g

question asked by our famous 1sicklex. either they are working it secretly, or they just don't care about anything v8 or gsf so far
I certainly hope it's them slow playing the marketing so as not to stall early buyers into waiting for alternative drivetrains. One comment that repeatedly showed up in the drive reviews a few months ago was that the chassis changes were significant enough to warrant increased power. Let's hope those chassis upgrades won't be forever saddled with average power options.
Old 11-02-11, 08:37 PM
LSIII
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it me, or did anyone else get the vibe that a GS-F is more likely than a GS460/GS500.
Old 11-02-11, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LSIII
Is it me, or did anyone else get the vibe that a GS-F is more likely than a GS460/GS500.
to be the straight implication from the video is both v8 4gs and gsf are equally not being worked on
Old 11-02-11, 11:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Maybe the GS-F will be like the skunk works IS-F and randomly show up lol
Old 11-03-11, 06:28 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Going by their past performance in the v8 area since 2001, it's just a big FAIL by Lexus. I don't say this too often because I love my L but they've earned it a ton of times over and I'm done giving them the benefit of the doubt. They rode 1998 kudos until the wheels fell off.

At least now I know I can start searching in earnest for my next v8.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I still can't believe the 4GS will not have a V8 option!