GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I still can't believe the 4GS will not have a V8 option!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 06:33 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol Henry, I think I just did a Jersey Shore fist pump!!!!
Old 10-05-11, 07:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm crazy, but I still think there might be a chance that we could see a V8 GS, but it would take a lot of customers walking into the showroom saying, "Well I want a V8. Where is it?" and I don't know if I see that happening.

The GS platform is shared with the IS, and has also historically been the building block for the SC. If there is to be a next gen ISF (and it's a V8) or another SC, this platform has to accomodate a V8. I think it was JoeZ who looked at the engine bay and said there was plenty of space for two more cylinders.

I also feel like putting a V8 into the GS would help spread R&D costs around the Lexus lineup in a meaningful way. The LS and ISF are the only other cars using that same basic engine architecture...5.7L V8 is somewhat similar, I think, but not as much as the 5.0 and 4.6.

The best word that I can use to describe this situation is "sad". Lexus half-assed the V8 in the 3GS, and for that and pleny of other reasons, sold 3 of them. Now, they've built a true drivers car but won't put a V8 in it because they're gun shy about the sales failure of the 3GS, when this is THE MOST COMPELLING GS ever to be eligible for a V8.

My other problem is this gas mileage/efficiency/EPA excuse. As I already pointed out, the 5.0L in the ISF is already more powerful and as/more fuel efficient than the 5.5L V8 that MB uses or the TT V8 that BMW is using. The engine is now four years old and is BETTER than the V8 that MB and BMW are using. For Lexus to say that it's old or that it would be too inefficient is just pure BS.

If they are really concerned about gas mileage, slap Valvematic and the lattest VVTi on the engine and leave it paired to the 8AT. I've seen the MPG you can get from the current LS and it's insane for a V8. I'm quite sure that over the last four years, they've come up with plenty of improvements and gas-saving technologies to make the engine more than competitive.

What's next? LS250?

SO FRUSTRATING!
Old 10-05-11, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you can fit a v8 in the gs for sure without a doubt, unless lexus is cute enough to think a 6 banger can someone get them the gsf. it's possible that if lexus has enough customers coming into the show room and turn around right the way after knowing no v8, they will say let's throw in the ls460 setup and we are good. but my bottom line is, not doing this at the launch, it's really like 2005/6 all over again with the 3gs. once you lose the initial traction, it's tough
Old 10-05-11, 10:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Very true. As I said earlier...those initial reviews are your chance to make a statement. People don't rereview a car in 2-3 years when the engine has been updated and the tail lights are rearranged.

Lexus has lost the "pop" factor with a carryover V6 and no V8.
Old 10-05-11, 12:02 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^Very true. As I said earlier...those initial reviews are your chance to make a statement. People don't rereview a car in 2-3 years when the engine has been updated and the tail lights are rearranged.

I think they need to look back to 2001 as part of beginning of an 'error'. The 2nd Gen was a phenomenal success, I think we all agree on that. But that view encompasses the 2GS as a whole. Lexus lost sales because there was no transition. The 2GS was and is still a tank. There was no incentive to get those owners to leave their 2GS and move. This was my timeline and thoughts.

1998 - 2000 GS400 owners- Saw no reason to move to the 430 unless you wanted better nav and a wood steering wheel. But they had something the 430 didn't, the paddle shifters. And if you knew how to use them, they are a thrill. There was zero increase in horsepower and the 430 is a tick slower. So the 430 didn't appeal to this group

2001 - 2005 GS430 owners - Car is still built like a tank and the design is still great. But they (we) sat back on that 300hp number waiting while the rest of the class played catch up and passed us by. Year after year of believing that the 00-01 transition was just a blip and there'd be a new engine on the way. Nothing new from Lexus so nothing new to buy - no reason for new buys from this group either.

06 GS430 - Finally a new design, can't wait to see it. oooh I see the L coming down street is that the new 3rd Gen, NICEEEEE, come closer.... Oh wait, that's an IS. Oh finally, there's one. Nope, another IS, or is that an ES. Ok Finally, I see one... eh maybe, but lets see what the engine is looking like because surely Lexus isn't carrying over that same engi.... crap.

lol, I'm trying to be a little funny but there is truth behind the sarcasm. It seemed like once you were in the door, Lexus was content to let their excellent customer service draw you into buying a new GS. There was little loyalty show to GS Owners and that made no sense to me. You know you built a fantastic machine that happened to be gorgeous and run like a tank. So knowing this, you'd think Lexus would have done more to keep new sales coming in from that target audience.

So when I see articles appear that say "Lexus didn't care about the GS", I tend to agree. There is little that Lexus has done to alter my opinion of that.

Lexus has given me zero reason to say it's time for my 01GS430 to go. And I'm still waiting. I want a reason, I really do.
Old 10-09-11, 05:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd jump on a GS with a 5.0 V8... sigh
Old 10-09-11, 07:30 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus even sent a tweet out I think back in Aug/early Sept asking "how many of you are interested in a V-8 GS" which leads me to believe they have been asked tons about it.

I agree a GS 500 just sounds sick, the name itself would sell cars, it just sounds gooooooood. Even if it has a flat 400hp like the 5 series, that is more than enough for most.
Old 10-09-11, 07:57 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe they should back track and put the good ole 2jzgte inside a new GS with the new turbo technology and maybe a engine bore 3.5 2jz?
Old 10-09-11, 08:03 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Somebody's being a bit too optimistic lol ^
Old 10-09-11, 10:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Lexus even sent a tweet out I think back in Aug/early Sept asking "how many of you are interested in a V-8 GS" which leads me to believe they have been asked tons about it.

I agree a GS 500 just sounds sick, the name itself would sell cars, it just sounds gooooooood. Even if it has a flat 400hp like the 5 series, that is more than enough for most.
you right on, mike
Old 10-18-11, 09:35 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen

Agreed. After 12 years of the same V8 engine, I would get excited over a GS500 V8 w/ 400 HP. Even the R Spec Hyundai is appealing now (never would have thought that before)...lol
Old 10-19-11, 11:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

i am kind of tired with "carry over"... that GR is one of the best if not the best entry level engine in the US.
I just read some Camry review that basically stated that "Toyota wrongly chose to go with old tired carry over engines and that decision might hurt them". What?

Sure, I agree that V8 would be good for advertising even if I dont believe that many would chose it over V6 and Hybrid, but I both V6 and Hybrid are excellent powertrains, just not V8's.
Old 10-19-11, 11:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am kind of tired with "carry over"... that GR is one of the best if not the best entry level engine in the US.
I just read some Camry review that basically stated that "Toyota wrongly chose to go with old tired carry over engines and that decision might hurt them". What?

Sure, I agree that V8 would be good for advertising even if I dont believe that many would chose it over V6 and Hybrid, but I both V6 and Hybrid are excellent powertrains, just not V8's.
i actually don't think either the v6 or v6 hybrid are bad setup at all. i like them and i think lexus did a good job in them. i think all along people are just saying they are no match to today's v8 anymore
Old 10-19-11, 01:37 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cross my fingers hoping there is GS500 in 2014.
Old 10-19-11, 03:54 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

We were making fun of Acura, but like they say, karma is a &*$@%! lol

Well, most will probably disagree, but I don't think we'll see a V8. IMHO, it's irrational to release the V8 two years later, no one would care.

I think the problem here is the GS-F. They probably want to build one or building one already , which is why they had to drop the V8, in order to clear the spot for the GS-F. It would be too risky for Lexus to have both, the V8 GS460 and the GS-F. I mean, think about. How many would go for GS460/GS500 and how many would actually get the GS-F ? Most will probably just go for 460/500 and still drool over the GS-F. However, without having the 460/500 in the picture, people might actually consider paying extra and get the GS-F. This way lexus can sell more of them. Lexus is just not quite there yet in this class, compared to BWM and MB. So, they can't get away with having 2 V8's....but I could be wrong though

Quick Reply: I still can't believe the 4GS will not have a V8 option!