GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus will listen to customer like ME

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 11:29 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Lexus will listen to customer like ME

I don't want a V8, period. I want a decent V6 (300+ HP 5.7s 0-60 is more than enough) or a good hybrid (techies and effecient). As an MBA I know that market determines the products, not enthusiats or racing magazines. The look of int and ext plus the reliablity will sell the car. I hope that Lexus will hold the base price. Can't wait to test drive and check out the real car.

Who is on the same boat with me?
Old 09-01-11, 01:30 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
I don't want a V8, period. I want a decent V6 (300+ HP 5.7s 0-60 is more than enough) or a good hybrid (techies and effecient). As an MBA I know that market determines the products, not enthusiats or racing magazines. The look of int and ext plus the reliablity will sell the car. I hope that Lexus will hold the base price. Can't wait to test drive and check out the real car.

thats exactly what lexus is doing,,,
Old 09-01-11, 02:02 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LIMS407
thats exactly what lexus is doing,,,
With the MBA, they will make sure to get the V6 done for him

As far as demand and what the market wants, Lexus did not do the IS-F and LFA for no reason.........
Old 09-01-11, 07:32 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

The fly in the ointment is that manufactures of products that have a 2+ year development time have to predict what the market will be 3-4 years out. Times are a changing for the auto industry. And let's not forget that one of the problems Lexus is faced with is that even with all their MBA's and yet the GS turned into a dud the past couple of years in the market place.

What Lexus is looking to do is find about 20,000 buyers a year who have bought something else in the past. The 460 was a really stupid move for Lexus because they neutered the engine to the point that the car was almost no faster than the 350. I can tell you that if it had the 380 hp and eight speed I would very likely have bought one.

Next time around they may lose me to something else because they have made no advances in the performance of the GS. It will depend on how well other manufacturers respond. The Infiniti G37 (ooop, meant "M") is already quite a bit quicker than the GS350.

Last edited by jjscsix; 09-02-11 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-01-11, 08:05 PM
StasGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The look of int and ext plus the reliablity will sell the car" <--- this is not why a company like BMW sells so many cars. Driving is not all about reliability or fuel economy. Some of us still desire performance.
Old 09-02-11, 06:57 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by StasGS4
"The look of int and ext plus the reliablity will sell the car" <--- this is not why a company like BMW sells so many cars. Driving is not all about reliability or fuel economy. Some of us still desire performance.
Food for thought. The 2012 Hyundai Genesis now has a 333 V6 with 10% better gas mileage than the GS350, and they also offer a 385 hp V8 that gets the same mileage as the current GS350, and they now offer a 429 hp V8 that is rated at 25 on the highway (I have not seen real world reports on that one yet).

The Koreans are now trying to do to the Japanese what the Japanese did to the Germans 20 years ago.
Old 09-02-11, 12:45 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by J.P.
With the MBA, they will make sure to get the V6 done for him

As far as demand and what the market wants, Lexus did not do the IS-F and LFA for no reason.........
IS-F and LF-A are for "show the world what we can do" but in fact they are probably loosing millions of dollars. With less than 10% sales in the V8 model it is a tough choice to bring that to the market.

I know many enthusiasts said they wanted the V8 version but that number is so small comparing to the people who opted for the V6. They may LOOSE 2000 sales on the V8 takers but gain 10000 more sales when they make the V6 better. It is all about COSTS vs Benefits and when one is outweigh the other it is next to impossible to pick the the lost one.

BMW and MB do NOT sales that many in their V8 top-of-the-line models. The reason their numbers are high because most buyers opt for the 528/530 or E350.
Old 09-02-11, 12:58 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS sold hardly any V8's because it was a half hearted effort, it was not worth the extra $$$ for the weak v8 they did.....

And sure BMW \ MB sell way more 6's, but without the nicer looking \ higher end car for people to drool over their not selling as well.

You need something to get people excited about even if they cannot afford it, you just give them something close they can afford...
Old 09-02-11, 06:27 PM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a GS coupe
Old 09-02-11, 08:27 PM
StasGS4
Driver

IS-F and LF-A are for "show the world what we can do" but in fact they are probably loosing millions of dollars. With less than 10% sales in the V8 model it is a tough choice to bring that to the market.

I know many enthusiasts said they wanted the V8 version but that number is so small comparing to the people who opted for the V6. They may LOOSE 2000 sales on the V8 takers but gain 10000 more sales when they make the V6 better. It is all about COSTS vs Benefits and when one is outweigh the other it is next to impossible to pick the the lost one.

BMW and MB do NOT sales that many in their V8 top-of-the-line models. The reason their numbers are high because most buyers opt for the 528/530 or E350.
The sales of Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys are phenomenal. You even own one!

Now, does that mean I want one? Or maybe it is better to ask if I look at one twice when I see it on the road? The answer is no. But I defiantly look and admire IS-Fs, Bimmers, Audis and Benzs (don't really see too many LFAs around here). Why? I think it has something to do with how these cars drive. Even a stock 528i handles better than my old GS400 with Ltuned suspension.

I hope that Lexus, even though its parent is Toyota, will never become another mass selling and boring Accord or Camry.

A V8 or twin turbo inline 6 would be definitely sweet for the new GS!
Old 09-09-11, 02:08 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lapdrn
I want a GS coupe
THIS..... lexus needs an gs-f coupe and is-f coupe...but thats just a whole other discussion
Old 09-09-11, 07:30 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd be happy with a straight-six twin turbo w/all the Lexus ULEV technology. I too am not a huge fan of huge engine Japanese cars....leave that for the Germans and Americans. Japanese cars have been doing fantastic with their small but powerful workhorses....lets keep that tradition going Lexus! The IS-F (as nice as it is) really could have been built with a bullet-proof six cylinder turbo motor...but, I am pretty sure Toyota is out of the forced induction game....god i miss the 90's.
Old 09-11-11, 01:16 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
What Lexus is looking to do is find about 20,000 buyers a year who have bought something else in the past. The 460 was a really stupid move for Lexus because they neutered the engine to the point that the car was almost no faster than the 350. I can tell you that if it had the 380 hp and eight speed I would very likely have bought one.

Exactly what I felt, the 2nd Gen GS has more hp than LS400/430. ( 300 VS 290 ), I was expecting the same if not more output than LS460 before the 3GS460 came out. But it was such a dissappointment. I would have bought 3GS460 if it had 380HP and 8spd.
Old 09-13-11, 05:11 AM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Well they should offer a special order V8........ not erase its existence!
Old 09-13-11, 05:52 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by Rider
Well they should offer a special order V8........ not erase its existence!
From the car Enthusiasts point of view they should but from the business point of view that does not make sense. The cost to develop the "special V8" outweigh the the benefits it brings back.

With all we have seen and heard, the GS-F might sport a 5.0L V8 retuned of the current IS-F and the GS-F Sport might have a supercharger glued to its3.5l V6 because all of these are currently available.

Quick Reply: Lexus will listen to customer like ME