Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Fourth Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

"I didn't want this car" - Akio Toyoda, about the 4GS

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-11, 06:37 AM   #61
natnut
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,965
Default

Loved the 2GS, HAAAATED the 3GS, 4GS fills me with hope that Lexus is back on track again.

IMO, 3GS failed not because of lack of engine options or low power but due to the fact that in essence, it's cabin interior volume wasn't any more useable than that of the cheaper 2IS and it's driving feel was numb.

Cue the 4GS with larger interior volume and possibly class-leading driving dynamics and I fail to see what the hand-wringing over this article is about : Akio Toyoda wanted to kill the 4GS but hasn't because he finally fixed what were the 2 main bugbears of the 3GS.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
GS300 2nd Gen (RIP 6 August 2014 )
Wheels : Volks GTC 18x8 front/rear, Silverstone Evol 8 245/40/R18
Suspension : Daizen sway bars,Bilstein HD shocks,Carson Tuned STB,TRD Front LCB,TOM'S 6-links,TOM'S RLCB, Daizen steering rack bushings
Brakes : Racingbrake 2 piece slotted rotors(front)
Engine : Torquemaster Star series spark plugs
Cosmetics/Interior : LED wedge lights, Chrome Trunk Bar, Borla exhaust tips,Blitz cabin filter, Luxer LEDs interior lighting,RMM Grille,TTE Trunk Spoiler
natnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 10:24 AM   #62
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natnut View Post
Loved the 2GS, HAAAATED the 3GS, 4GS fills me with hope that Lexus is back on track again.

IMO, 3GS failed not because of lack of engine options or low power but due to the fact that in essence, it's cabin interior volume wasn't any more useable than that of the cheaper 2IS and it's driving feel was numb.

Cue the 4GS with larger interior volume and possibly class-leading driving dynamics and I fail to see what the hand-wringing over this article is about : Akio Toyoda wanted to kill the 4GS but hasn't because he finally fixed what were the 2 main bugbears of the 3GS.
You can like or dislike whatever you want but don't make up stuff that isn't true. You invalidate all your good points when you fake on a bad point.
To say the interior of the 3GS wasn't more useable than the 2IS just doesn't make sense. I've driven the 2IS as a loaner. It feels like you're stuffed into a casket. Big guys suffer in that car. I drive my 3GS everyday and it has plenty of room for my big butt. Define useable...maybe it means something different to you than it does to me.
__________________
www.clublexus.com/gallery/data//501/eggie_002.jpg

06 GS300 Obsidian
07 GS350 GFM
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sho...0&ppuser=14738
Ice350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 11:22 AM   #63
Och
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)
 
Och's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY
Posts: 10,689
Send a message via AIM to Och
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominl View Post

in the short run, yes. but you have to look at a much bigger picture. toyota already holds pretty much the first place in hybrid technology, and the application is so wide already across toyota and lexus lineup. so it's not right to say that a lot of r&d is spent solely on the gsh. that's not true. plus, although still an unknown, given enough time, maybe hybrid will come out to be the number 1 solution for power / fuel efficiency. we just don't know yet, but for sure toyota is buying into it.
I believe you are wrong on this one. There's a world of difference between GS/LS-h and Toyotas mainstream hybrids. The Prius and other mainstream hybirds I believe just have an electric engine that assists the ICE, and all the torque is transferred to the front wheels through the CVT, so its a relatively simple system. In the GS-H you have what, three electric motors, two of them driving the front wheels? I don't think their torque is even transferred through the transmission, so you lose the convenience of differentials, and have to have some complex sensors and electronics to keep everything in sync. Its an incredibly complicated system, but people don't appreciate it at all... They describe it as a fancy Prius.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 01:25 PM   #64
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 16,153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
I believe you are wrong on this one. There's a world of difference between GS/LS-h and Toyotas mainstream hybrids. The Prius and other mainstream hybirds I believe just have an electric engine that assists the ICE, and all the torque is transferred to the front wheels through the CVT, so its a relatively simple system. In the GS-H you have what, three electric motors, two of them driving the front wheels? I don't think their torque is even transferred through the transmission, so you lose the convenience of differentials, and have to have some complex sensors and electronics to keep everything in sync. Its an incredibly complicated system, but people don't appreciate it at all... They describe it as a fancy Prius.
no, Prius is complicated as well... It is pretty much as if you had class leading high tech 4cly and class leading high tech V6.
__________________
- 07 Lexus GS350 AWD
spwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 02:14 PM   #65
TF109B
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,057
Default

I see no ES or Camry or Honda in this car. I think people are just making things up because they don't have the car or they're mad they don't have the quad headlights, or something. Everyone has their opinion, but this is a thread about Akio's comments, not what people think it looks like, correct? So on that note I think there was some misplaced translation on his words.
TF109B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 03:34 PM   #66
natnut
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice350 View Post
You can like or dislike whatever you want but don't make up stuff that isn't true. You invalidate all your good points when you fake on a bad point.
To say the interior of the 3GS wasn't more useable than the 2IS just doesn't make sense. I've driven the 2IS as a loaner. It feels like you're stuffed into a casket. Big guys suffer in that car. I drive my 3GS everyday and it has plenty of room for my big butt. Define useable...maybe it means something different to you than it does to me.
In comparison to my 2GS, both the 3GS and 2IS are equally hopeless interior volume-wise( IMO). If it makes you feel any better, I maybe hated sitting in the 2IS a little bit more. Both 2IS/3GS made me feel claustrophobic after my experience in the 2GS.Let me put it this way : both the 2IS and the 3GS feel like 1/2 a size smaller in comparison to the 2GS.

I can forgive the 2IS it's crampedness because it's meant to be a compact zippy little car but I find the fact my dad kept hitting his head on the door frame of the 3GS while getting out of the driver's seat unforgiveable in a car meant to compete in the MID-SIZE luxury segment. And it didn't even have great driving feel to compensate for it's lack of passenger leg/head space.

Right now, only the preliminary reports on the 4GS' supposedly great drive and larger cabin/trunk are giving me hope that my next sedan will be a Lexus.
__________________
GS300 2nd Gen (RIP 6 August 2014 )
Wheels : Volks GTC 18x8 front/rear, Silverstone Evol 8 245/40/R18
Suspension : Daizen sway bars,Bilstein HD shocks,Carson Tuned STB,TRD Front LCB,TOM'S 6-links,TOM'S RLCB, Daizen steering rack bushings
Brakes : Racingbrake 2 piece slotted rotors(front)
Engine : Torquemaster Star series spark plugs
Cosmetics/Interior : LED wedge lights, Chrome Trunk Bar, Borla exhaust tips,Blitz cabin filter, Luxer LEDs interior lighting,RMM Grille,TTE Trunk Spoiler
natnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 07:52 PM   #67
Compass
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Compass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 57
Default

And now that we've seen it, neither do we.
Compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-11, 08:49 PM   #68
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natnut View Post
In comparison to my 2GS, both the 3GS and 2IS are equally hopeless interior volume-wise( IMO). If it makes you feel any better, I maybe hated sitting in the 2IS a little bit more. Both 2IS/3GS made me feel claustrophobic after my experience in the 2GS.Let me put it this way : both the 2IS and the 3GS feel like 1/2 a size smaller in comparison to the 2GS.

I can forgive the 2IS it's crampedness because it's meant to be a compact zippy little car but I find the fact my dad kept hitting his head on the door frame of the 3GS while getting out of the driver's seat unforgiveable in a car meant to compete in the MID-SIZE luxury segment. And it didn't even have great driving feel to compensate for it's lack of passenger leg/head space.

Right now, only the preliminary reports on the 4GS' supposedly great drive and larger cabin/trunk are giving me hope that my next sedan will be a Lexus.
I've hit my head on a lot of cars but not my car. The roof line is closer than many sedans because it has a coupe-like silhouette....which I happen to like. You compared the 2GS. It obviously has a more rounded, bubble shaped roof...which would be roomier but not as sporty looking.
__________________
www.clublexus.com/gallery/data//501/eggie_002.jpg

06 GS300 Obsidian
07 GS350 GFM
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sho...0&ppuser=14738
Ice350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-11, 11:22 PM   #69
LexFather
Guest
Trader Score: ()
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natnut View Post
In comparison to my 2GS, both the 3GS and 2IS are equally hopeless interior volume-wise( IMO). If it makes you feel any better, I maybe hated sitting in the 2IS a little bit more. Both 2IS/3GS made me feel claustrophobic after my experience in the 2GS.Let me put it this way : both the 2IS and the 3GS feel like 1/2 a size smaller in comparison to the 2GS.

I can forgive the 2IS it's crampedness because it's meant to be a compact zippy little car but I find the fact my dad kept hitting his head on the door frame of the 3GS while getting out of the driver's seat unforgiveable in a car meant to compete in the MID-SIZE luxury segment. And it didn't even have great driving feel to compensate for it's lack of passenger leg/head space.

Right now, only the preliminary reports on the 4GS' supposedly great drive and larger cabin/trunk are giving me hope that my next sedan will be a Lexus.
I have both, just rode with 4 adults today. Room has rarely ever been an issue. Personally I don't want a LS size car yet, I love the size of the GS. If i want a SUV, I'll get a SUV. Well we have one.

Seem the 4GS will be roomier but the GS stays around teh same size with an 18 cube trunk.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 01:58 AM   #70
n8236
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
n8236's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco & San Luis Obispo
Posts: 281
Default

Lexus needs to sustain some permanent DNA in their cars. Every 5 years, you get designs that are pretty decent, but never good enough to be sustained.

BMW is a master of retaining their DNA. Look @ their bull nose grills. They're on every single BMW in some shape or form. Even though it doesn't look good on every single BMW, they are somehow able to work around that grill and make sexy cars!

Audi got smart and pursued a similar method. The Audi grill! Now, all their cars start their designs around that center piece and work their way down.

Lexus (Acura, Infiniti, etc) need something like what the Germans are doing, a baseline design characteristic.
__________________
- 1984 Silver Audi 4000 (Supa chix magnet in high school)
- 1998 Silver Honda Civic (Enough room to haul multiple college chixs)
- 2002 Black Acura RSX (Da club ride)
- 2007 Black Infiniti FX35 (White chix dig it)
- 2008 White Lexus IS350 (Damn it, attracting $-Diggers!)
n8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 05:20 PM   #71
ingoodtime
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
ingoodtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: fl
Posts: 236
Default

I'm liking the look of the new GS. maybe I'll wait a few years and sell my GS300, then buy a 4th gen CPO.
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-11, 07:39 PM   #72
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: southern cali, san gabriel valley
Posts: 1,402
Default

totally agree, I like japanese and korean cars but the europeans just keep hitting the sweet spot in terms of design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8236 View Post
Lexus needs to sustain some permanent DNA in their cars. Every 5 years, you get designs that are pretty decent, but never good enough to be sustained.

BMW is a master of retaining their DNA. Look @ their bull nose grills. They're on every single BMW in some shape or form. Even though it doesn't look good on every single BMW, they are somehow able to work around that grill and make sexy cars!

Audi got smart and pursued a similar method. The Audi grill! Now, all their cars start their designs around that center piece and work their way down.

Lexus (Acura, Infiniti, etc) need something like what the Germans are doing, a baseline design characteristic.
mikemareen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 02:11 AM   #73
jre002
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natnut View Post
IMO, 3GS failed not because of lack of engine options or low power but due to the fact that in essence, it's cabin interior volume wasn't any more useable than that of the cheaper 2IS and it's driving feel was numb
As far as Mr. Toyoda saying he didn't want the 4GS... ridiculous. He is out of touch to even think that. The GS is a must-build for Lexus.

I've heard a lot of criticisms of the 3GS, but cabin size was never one of them. Maybe it wasn't big enough for you personally, which is fine for you to say, but to make a blanket statement that this is the general consensus on the GS throughout the car-buying public is a bit of a stretch. Also, I have driven the 2IS. There is no way that it feels similar in size to a 3GS. The 2IS feels tiny and cramped in comparison, though it is a fun car to zip around in.

As far as "numb" driving feel of the 3GS, while I disagree, I admit that is a generally held opinion of the masses. My 3GS has steering feel equivalent to that of a BMW. I sometimes wonder if I am going crazy because everyone says it has numb feeling, yet I don't see it. I've driven the E60 5 Series, the current 6 Series, a 2011 7 Series with the M package (don't know if it had any mechanical upgrades but it had the M kit, rims, and steering wheel), and a 2011 1 Series 5-door Hatchback. I felt no noticeable difference in steering feel on the Lexus.

I wonder if people are dittoheading the steering feel comments or if I am just completely incapable of measuring steering feel.

FYI, my favorite of all the BMWs I drove was the 1 Series followed by the 6 Series. Of course the 6 was 10X nicer and the power is not comparable, but I drove the 1 Series from Stuttgart to Venice this past week and it was a great little car to dart around in. With the M Steering wheel, and sport suspension it was a great to drive in the twisty Italian mountains. Looked good with the factory M body kit and upgraded M wheels too. Currently I drive an E39 around Germany as my beater and it sucks, mainly due to its age and not feeling crisp anymore. My E39 definitely has numb steering. I am also a former E30 owner. Sorry had to post that history before people start saying I don't know anything about BMWs.
__________________
2010 Lexus GS 350 (RWD) Deep Sea Mica
2006 Lexus GS 300 (AWD) Starfire Pearl

Last edited by jre002; 09-05-11 at 02:23 AM..
jre002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 11:38 AM   #74
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 79,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jre002 View Post
As far as Mr. Toyoda saying he didn't want the 4GS... ridiculous. He is out of touch to even think that. The GS is a must-build for Lexus.

I've heard a lot of criticisms of the 3GS, but cabin size was never one of them. Maybe it wasn't big enough for you personally, which is fine for you to say, but to make a blanket statement that this is the general consensus on the GS throughout the car-buying public is a bit of a stretch. Also, I have driven the 2IS. There is no way that it feels similar in size to a 3GS. The 2IS feels tiny and cramped in comparison, though it is a fun car to zip around in.

As far as "numb" driving feel of the 3GS, while I disagree, I admit that is a generally held opinion of the masses. My 3GS has steering feel equivalent to that of a BMW. I sometimes wonder if I am going crazy because everyone says it has numb feeling, yet I don't see it. I've driven the E60 5 Series, the current 6 Series, a 2011 7 Series with the M package (don't know if it had any mechanical upgrades but it had the M kit, rims, and steering wheel), and a 2011 1 Series 5-door Hatchback. I felt no noticeable difference in steering feel on the Lexus.

I wonder if people are dittoheading the steering feel comments or if I am just completely incapable of measuring steering feel.

FYI, my favorite of all the BMWs I drove was the 1 Series followed by the 6 Series. Of course the 6 was 10X nicer and the power is not comparable, but I drove the 1 Series from Stuttgart to Venice this past week and it was a great little car to dart around in. With the M Steering wheel, and sport suspension it was a great to drive in the twisty Italian mountains. Looked good with the factory M body kit and upgraded M wheels too. Currently I drive an E39 around Germany as my beater and it sucks, mainly due to its age and not feeling crisp anymore. My E39 definitely has numb steering. I am also a former E30 owner. Sorry had to post that history before people start saying I don't know anything about BMWs.
sorry, i had the gs400 and now gs350. i complained about the cabin size. my wife complained about it. my parents complained about it. my friend who drove my car complained about it. my friends who rode in my car complained about it. my friend with e class complained about it. it might not be all 3gs owners, but i know more people than i can even keep count of who complain about cabin space of the 3gs, for a mid-size sedan
__________________
Yes, I drove it. The great feeling of boiling blood.
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 01:20 PM   #75
jre002
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominl View Post
sorry, i had the gs400 and now gs350. i complained about the cabin size. my wife complained about it. my parents complained about it. my friend who drove my car complained about it. my friends who rode in my car complained about it. my friend with e class complained about it. it might not be all 3gs owners, but i know more people than i can even keep count of who complain about cabin space of the 3gs, for a mid-size sedan
Man, I could imagine what your day is like with all that complaining.
__________________
2010 Lexus GS 350 (RWD) Deep Sea Mica
2006 Lexus GS 300 (AWD) Starfire Pearl
jre002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 01:20 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lexus plans $375,000 LFA successor zema Car Chat 43 08-13-14 01:24 PM
Toyota's car-buff president makes Lexus his pet project natnut Car Chat 33 05-08-13 12:22 PM
Short Biography of Eiji Toyoda; the founder of Toyota/Lexus SC400slide Car Chat 6 03-22-13 08:25 AM
Toyota Dealer Meeting Las Vegas (2012 Camry is Coming!) flipside909 Car Chat 668 08-23-11 12:41 PM
Akio Toyoda reportedly will become Toyota's next president in June jruhi4 Car Chat 25 06-25-09 08:37 PM


Tags
06, akio, crazy, fought, gs300, its, lexus, lexuss, like, lost, management, regional, teams, toyoda, zip

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info