GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 08:19 AM
LexFather

Lexus is also aware there is a market for people that want a super sedan Lexus even if its not the end all be all in regards to power. Even when the IS F debuted it was down on power to the C63 and the C63 offered a power pack as well.

There is a niche for this car from loyal Lexus customers to customers from other brands that may want a more involving drive with less hp and surely some of the best reliability offered.

It is super exciting to see the pics of this car being tested and that it is coming soon!

Old 09-11-13, 08:35 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Lexus is also aware there is a market for people that want a super sedan Lexus even if its not the end all be all in regards to power. Even when the IS F debuted it was down on power to the C63 and the C63 offered a power pack as well.

There is a niche for this car from loyal Lexus customers to customers from other brands that may want a more involving drive with less hp and surely some of the best reliability offered.

It is super exciting to see the pics of this car being tested and that it is coming soon!
+1

No offense, but the endless horsepower debate is a little silly.
Old 09-11-13, 09:35 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
...and 3) Trickle down features, styling elements across the model line. See 4IS F Sport instrument panel!
That's what #1 is. R&D on these concept and super cars often trickle down the technology down to other models. There was a time when ABS, Airbags, traction control, ...etc was only available on the high end luxury cars. Now they are all standard.

But in the end, if the car doesn't sell, Lexus ain't building it.
Old 09-11-13, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by madfast
the 600hp number was just an example.

its not excuses, its about being realistic. competing with the germans in the almost 100k super sedan segment serves what purpose for lexus? what have they to gain?

you say dated, i say classic. to some, the germans have lost the plot. their cars continue to get bigger and more powerful at the expense of driving enjoyment.

the fact that lexus havent made a ton of F cars just goes to show you how unimportant they think competing with AMG/M is...

lexus isnt going to make a car just so rich guys can brag about owning it. and even if they do, who's to say they will buy this over a german car?

simple. the GSF is targeting a lower segment. i personally believe the GSF is targeting the M3 more than the M5. crazy? perhaps not. i contend that the GSF, and not a future ISF, will be the sedan version of the RCF. they were seen together in the same garage at the nurburgring....

the point was that its unrealistic to think lexus has something in the background just waiting to debut. lexus doesnt even have a turbo 4 in their lineup yet some expect a twin turbo V8?
with the above bold points i think it's more thane enough to conclude that we are on different planets so i don't think this needs to go anywhere else any further

i don't know how e60 m5 is a classic already, actually some people think e39 m5 was purer. so?

if you ever remotely think doing this market segment is about selling volume, my goodness you are in such a wrong discussion. this super sedan segment is NEVER about volume. bmw and mb never sell big volumes on their m and amg either. this segment is about "competing" and "showcasing", bringing volume into the talk is strike one.

gsf is not targeting m5 and e63 but instead m3? i am floored i don't even know what to say. mid-size vs compact-size? strike two.

sigh, twin turbo v8 again. why, why? i thought i said it specifically already that FI is not really needed to get what some people what. but it's so hard to convey that idea i suppose... strike three.

it's ok, it is what it is. let's just move on. i have made my points and i think everyone else has. we will see how it comes and what it does to lexus. lfa is all about driving in that special market and we all know how well it sells. maybe the gsf will come out as the best car ever putting m5, rs6, and e63 to shame, and it sells like a hot cake too. to be honest i would be so happy if that happens and gladly admit i was wrong. but i am just so afraid that anything i said became true and the car can't help to boost the brand image and prestige status. when that happens i can already see what the defensive arguments are going to be

Originally Posted by Blueprint
as a car lover (and not a loyal brand fan) i completely agree and why i am happy with lexus direction in general

but your statement, that's very close to how lexus positioned with the lfa back then, isn't it? i will leave it at that

Last edited by rominl; 09-11-13 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 09:54 PM
madfast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
with the above bold points i think it's more thane enough to conclude that we are on different planets so i don't think this needs to go anywhere else any further
i want the same things as everyone else but there is no point talking about it if its not likely to happen.

i don't know how e60 m5 is a classic already, actually some people think e39 m5 was purer. so?
not the car itself, but the formula and the philosophy behind the car. the new M5 is getting further and further away from that. imo lexus should NOT follow.

if you ever remotely think doing this market segment is about selling volume, my goodness you are in such a wrong discussion. this super sedan segment is NEVER about volume. bmw and mb never sell big volumes on their m and amg either. this segment is about "competing" and "showcasing", bringing volume into the talk is strike one.
i agree and that's exactly why lexus looks at the germans and says its not worth it to try and match them. the LFA did all the showcasing for them already. lexus has nothing to gain from making a super sedan. however, a modest GSF with the 450+ hp 5L V8 is simply the V8 GS we all asked for. they will make it look more aggressive and add in some more performance bits and there you go, GSF. the main point is that it doesnt have to match the M5. it can be its own car. a high performance version of the GS350 independent of whatever the germans do.

gsf is not targeting m5 and e63 but instead m3? i am floored i don't even know what to say. mid-size vs compact-size? strike two.
this is just my personal opinion. i understand its out there. imo its all about consolidation. BMW can afford to have a million models. lexus wont. not cant, but wont. imo they dont want to make so many F models because they are niche cars. the coupe of the F cars will be the RCF and the sedan will be the GSF.

sigh, twin turbo v8 again. why, why? i thought i said it specifically already that FI is not really needed to get what some people what. but it's so hard to convey that idea i suppose... strike three.
not you, but others have consistently mentioned the TS650 engine as a possible GSF engine and i find that absurd. that's the only reason why i keep going back to that. as for your idea of a 500 hp V8? that would be great. id love to see it. but will it happen? realistically though imo they will save the money and just use the RCF engine as is.

it's ok, it is what it is. let's just move on. i have made my points and i think everyone else has. we will see how it comes and what it does to lexus. lfa is all about driving in that special market and we all know how well it sells. maybe the gsf will come out as the best car ever putting m5, rs6, and e63 to shame, and it sells like a hot cake too. to be honest i would be so happy if that happens and gladly admit i was wrong. but i am just so afraid that anything i said became true and the car can't help to boost the brand image and prestige status. when that happens i can already see what the defensive arguments are going to be
imo lexus doesnt care as much as the fans when it comes to matching the germans. they do their own thing and sell a lot of cars. if it makes sense they will go after the germans, see the RCF as an example. but just because they compete in one segment doesnt mean they will in ALL segments. if that were true where is the RX F? its their best selling model in the US, why not go after the X5 M and ML AMG? maybe cuz it doesnt make sense? the same goes for the GSF. the germans can have that segment. the GSF will instead put the 550i/S6/E550 to shame. maybe thats not what the fans want but its what's going to make lexus money. prestige? the LFA did that and the LF-LC will continue that.
Old 09-12-13, 11:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally believe the GSF is targeting the M3 more than the M5.
No offense dude.............but I stopped reading the rest of your post the moment you mentioned that.

You may be entitled to your own belief but in the real world (and especially in ANY automotive enthusiast circle), that kind of statement is just dead wrong.

Sorry mate......
Old 09-12-13, 05:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You guys are all wrong, the GS-F is targeting the Acura RLX SH-AWD!!
Old 09-12-13, 09:45 PM
madfast
Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
No offense dude.............but I stopped reading the rest of your post the moment you mentioned that.

You may be entitled to your own belief but in the real world (and especially in ANY automotive enthusiast circle), that kind of statement is just dead wrong.

Sorry mate......
if you think about it, its not so far fetched. both are sedans, RWD, 450+ hp, about 80k well equipped? the only thing that's obviously different is the size.
Old 09-16-13, 06:20 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

if you think about it, its not so far fetched. both are sedans, RWD, 450+ hp, about 80k well equipped? the only thing that's obviously different is the size.
Maybe so.........but the cars they're based on compete in different segments.

You're comparing a C-segment vehicle with a D-segment car.
Old 09-16-13, 10:32 PM
tankton
Driver School Candidate

Maybe the best thing is to explain it in simpler terms - Audi S6 competitor.
Old 09-17-13, 04:47 PM
dgsvt
Driver

Pricing seems to be too high to be an s6 competitor at 80-85k
Old 09-18-13, 08:03 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll throw some more fuel on the fire: Tesla Model S P85 competitor.
Old 09-18-13, 08:41 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Saw a Tesla Model S 85 yesterday. Owner came out as I was walking in and had nothing but good things to say about the vehicle.

I also a couple days back visited my new Lexus dealership that just opened a couple weeks ago. Very nice inside. While there, I attempted to small talk one of the sales staff about this subject. Almost seemed offended at the notion of a GS-F. I find it interesting how Lexus is going through a change in its demographic as the older market they used to focus on is now shifting to a younger generation. Personally, looking at all the other brands out there with Hondas trying to look like Audis and BMWs trying to look like Infinitis and so on, the vehicles are looking more bland and I applaud the stand out nature that the F line is trying to employ.
Old 09-18-13, 11:43 PM
2ndxAround
Driver School Candidate

Ladies and gentleman, Please be advise that cadillac has already drop a twin turbo v-6 in there new XTS!!! The folks at Lexus better do something fast. 1st, 556hp-cts-v now a twin turbo v-6!!! http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/...o_v6_vspo.html
Old 09-19-13, 09:17 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just throwing in my two cents. Lexus did a nice job with the IS-F and it was a competitive car. Competitive with the M3, C63 and RS4. I think it'll be a shame if they don't do the same with the GS-F and keep it within close proximity with the M5, E63, RS6 and CTS-V.

Lexus does decide what "F" means but they gave us a direction with the IS-F. It looks to me they're going in another direction with the GS-F.

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion