GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Official GS-F discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 05:42 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
well the e60 m5 has 383tq and 4000lb, when that car goes it goes even harder than the m3. as long as the gearing is done right, high rev engine is as sweet as it can get imho. driving the m3 and m5, as long as you keep the car in the right gear, the car can go pretty crazy.

so overall i think it can be done in the gsf too. but of course, if one has to argue, drivability wise, higher tq number might drive smoother at lower rpm, amg is a great example on that spectrum. but when it comes to more extreme cars like this, i can go either way
Well of course. It had 380ft-lbs of torque vs the 295 that the E92 M3 has, with a narrow weight difference. Of course it goes harder!!

I like high revving responsive engines too, but I believe an engine ought to be well matched to it's chassis. I guess with some modifications it can be done, but we'll see. As long as it's not a hybrid, lives up to the F marque's standard thus far, and can go toe to toe with this generation's M5/E63/RS6, a forced induction V8 or NA V10 is fine with me as long as it can be done at a proper price for the class.

Originally Posted by adamls2
ALSO!! this is just an idea but does anyone else think it would be cool for lexus to invest into turbo charging technology like the German rivals?? idk if the brand would be cooler to be known as high performance N/A engines, or should they go into the rivals route??

Toyota has been working on some awesome turbo technology for a couple years now. I'd prefer them to take their time and get it right rather than rush it to market and run into problems like BMWs for instance.
Old 08-21-11, 08:24 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess a lot of you missed the photo of the LS460 TMG edition. 9000rpm, IS-F V8, over 600hp. I'm speculating it was an upgraded IS-F engine allowed to rev higher with hybrid technology. Why use a Turbo when you can have a 'KERS' type unit? "Hybrid is our biggest weapon" I think that speaks volumes.
Old 08-21-11, 10:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Sometimes, I get tired driving my M3 in the city. the car makes less power than accord under 4k rpm, and I look like an idiot gunning from the red light to another in the city.

V10 GS-F with LFA motor is probably not going to happen. But if it does, i will sell my ********* to get one. Actually, I should be able to get 10 GS-Fs by selling them.
hahahaa i never see myself with that kind of problem. i am not the fastest, but i make sure i am not slowest either

Originally Posted by TF109B
I guess a lot of you missed the photo of the LS460 TMG edition. 9000rpm, IS-F V8, over 600hp. I'm speculating it was an upgraded IS-F engine allowed to rev higher with hybrid technology. Why use a Turbo when you can have a 'KERS' type unit? "Hybrid is our biggest weapon" I think that speaks volumes.
simple, gas mileage alone could make it a pretty painful factor for lexus to consider
Old 08-21-11, 10:30 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

That's where the hybrid comes in. A more powerful battery technology and intelligent packing with the upgraded engine (obviously possible) and you could have yourself an efficient and powerful GS-F with a possible 9krpm engine. I'm really convinced that the 'TMG edition' LS that was shown about a month back has a hybrid unit. That's why the torque was increased. If Toyota wanted to go turbo they could do it. But I see it the other way- hybrid. That's their big deal, their signature. I would bet on it.
Old 08-21-11, 11:09 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Link... ???
Old 08-22-11, 12:02 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I didn't save the image, but I'm sure you can find someone on these forums that did in the LS section. I just know it was the same displacement of the IS-F engine, rev limit was 9000rpm, had over 600hp and over 450/500lb-ft of torque.
Old 08-22-11, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Link... ???
it was out for about 12 hours and then got shut off
Old 08-22-11, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

That's where the hybrid comes in. A more powerful battery technology and intelligent packing with the upgraded engine (obviously possible) and you could have yourself an efficient and powerful GS-F with a possible 9krpm engine. I'm really convinced that the 'TMG edition' LS that was shown about a month back has a hybrid unit. That's why the torque was increased. If Toyota wanted to go turbo they could do it. But I see it the other way- hybrid. That's their big deal, their signature. I would bet on it.
sorry but the 9k rpm alone on the isf engine will kill the gas mileage already, the hybrid part is a mood point. plus, what they do on the r&d side has little to do with what they will put in actually production cars. i would love to see that in the gsf, but at the same time i doubt we will see anything close.

but again, i am glad to be surprised
Old 08-22-11, 01:03 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

if they put v10 in the gsf, applaud!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by SRTGS300
If a V10 makes its way into a GS, I swear I'll sell everything and buy one lol.
If the GS-F got a V10, I would buy one regardless of how little I think of the 4GS's exterior design.

I don't see it happening, that designer is just saying it to keep our hopes up. When the F comes out, he is gonna be like "oh yeah after all consideration, V10 is not the best way to go"

Again, I really hope to see a V10, but I highly doubt it.
Old 08-22-11, 01:11 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jjscsix
If they make it too exotic - which will equal too expensive, the car won't sell. Lexus just doesn't have a following to sell a 80-90k performance sedan. Think about it - where would the buyers come from? BMW and M-B drivers are not going to make the switch. They will be looking for buyers to move up from a current Lexus. How many people today can afford a 50k GS and next year a 80K car?

The reality is that in order for it to sell it will have to be priced under $70k. In my mind, that gets something like the current IS-F. That uses current V8 engine MAYBE upgraded a little.

Now, that doesn't mean they wont try for something more grandiose but I can't see how it would sell. They have to overcome two things. One is that Lexus is all new to the game (I don't consider the IS-F a factor). And the times they are a changing. M5's and AMG's still sell because the really rich folks will always be out there and will always be really rich. But they are not Lexus customers - at least not in the performance world.
^^^^^I have been saying the exact same thing for the last year, everyone hate me for pointing out the reality. I agreed 100% of what you just said^^^
Old 08-22-11, 01:20 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

formula 1 cars, the tq number is very disappointing on paper, but the car goes like crazy.
That's because they weight 1300 lbs And once the little 200 ft-lbs get them going, they rev up crazy fast and the high rpm hp takes over.

The only road cars that weight 1300 lbs is the Ariel Atom and Caparo T1.
Old 08-22-11, 01:31 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I guess Lexus could decontent the V10 from the LFA and put it in the GS-F, like how GM decontent the LS9 from the ZR1 to make a LSX to put into the CTS-V and ZL1. In the case of the LS9/LSX........the LSX lost the dry sump, got smaller blower, smaller intercooler, lower redline.......etc.

So for the Lexus V10, could be the same...........no dry sump, lower redline from 9k to 7.5k~8k, no ITB, no equal length headers........etc. Subtract all the exotic features to make it a lot cheaper to produce.
Old 08-22-11, 06:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I guess Lexus could decontent the V10 from the LFA and put it in the GS-F, like how GM decontent the LS9 from the ZR1 to make a LSX to put into the CTS-V and ZL1. In the case of the LS9/LSX........the LSX lost the dry sump, got smaller blower, smaller intercooler, lower redline.......etc.

So for the Lexus V10, could be the same...........no dry sump, lower redline from 9k to 7.5k~8k, no ITB, no equal length headers........etc. Subtract all the exotic features to make it a lot cheaper to produce.
Speaking of CTS-V, I'm going to take delivery of one pretty soon from Paul Conte Caddy

It would of been great for the GS-F to be out some time this year. Lexus is losing potential customers.
Old 08-22-11, 06:07 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

They need to modify the V10 in a way which may add weight but doesn't reduce power output. The car needs to have similar power output to LFA. However there is room for a more typical engine size and weight.
Old 08-22-11, 06:25 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't save the image, but I'm sure you can find someone on these forums that did in the LS section. I just know it was the same displacement of the IS-F engine, rev limit was 9000rpm, had over 600hp and over 450/500lb-ft of torque.
Sounds like boost to me

Could the current hybrid transmission unit even support those kind of revs and torque?

Quick Reply: Official GS-F discussion