GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 04:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
550i for north of 50k, yes. but 550i for the price of the 4gs (gs350)? i highly highly doubt that. OP please do tell. i just can't imagine a reasonably loaded (or comparable) 550i for a market price of less than 60k at the very least
Edmund got a long term 528i test car, it is almost fully loaded, MSRP on that is $60k.

Without looking, I think a nicely loaded 550i would be about $80k. I think each level up is roughly $10k more. So $60k for 528, $70k for 535, $80k for 550?

BMW is never intented to be price similar to any Lexus.
Old 08-22-11, 05:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Edmund got a long term 528i test car, it is almost fully loaded, MSRP on that is $60k.

Without looking, I think a nicely loaded 550i would be about $80k. I think each level up is roughly $10k more. So $60k for 528, $70k for 535, $80k for 550?

BMW is never intented to be price similar to any Lexus.
i looked yesterday, 65k for nice 528i, 80k for loaded 535i.
Difference between the two is 5k when same equipment is selected.

I also noticed how everything is now packaged into packages, and to get smart entry you have to buy $1700 package... lol.
Old 08-22-11, 06:08 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i looked yesterday, 65k for nice 528i, 80k for loaded 535i.
Difference between the two is 5k when same equipment is selected.

I also noticed how everything is now packaged into packages, and to get smart entry you have to buy $1700 package... lol.
wow $80k for loaded 535i? so $85k~$90k for loaded 550i?

This is crazy, almost $100k for a "normal" 5-series, not even a M. Although even the normal non-M cars are REALLY nice now.
Old 08-22-11, 06:37 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ yup, bmw is expensive after all the options,,,most of them lease anyways,,with bmw, lease seems make more sense that buyin unless paying cash,,,my girl got new 535 with no down payment and around 800 per month,,still dont think i can pay 800 per month on the car and give back to the dealer three years later,,,maintenance is included so its kind of worry free,,,
Old 08-22-11, 06:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LIMS407
^^ yup, bmw is expensive after all the options,,,most of them lease anyways,,with bmw, lease seems make more sense that buyin unless paying cash,,,my girl got new 535 with no down payment and around 800 per month,,still dont think i can pay 800 per month on the car and give back to the dealer three years later,,,maintenance is included so its kind of worry free,,,
^^^ that is nice if you can swing it, that's A LOT of money

I would love to have a new fancy cars every 2~3 years!
Old 08-22-11, 07:19 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
These V-8s weigh as much if not more than the GS 450h. In the past the hybrid weighed more but since all these new cars came around gaining all this size and weight well they now outweigh the GSh. Kinda odd to see that.

As a 450h owner I honestly don't desire a faster car. It does 0-60 in low 5s and passing power is as great/better than V-8s. Rarely, if ever have I said "I wish this was faster" or "I wish I had a V-8". Then it gets 20-40% better MPG than a V-8 so even if its .2 or .3 seconds slower it doesn't matter to me. When I do desire a faster car, it will be some sort of high performance car or a Porsche.

I'll be honest, when I have lined up with a V-8 competitor they don't push it, they don't run.

As I stated in the other thread, I miss the V-8 sound when I drive the GSh, thats about it. My GS 430 is fully modded with L-tuned exhaust and still sounds great.
But don't you have a lot less trunk space?
Old 08-22-11, 07:30 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
when i bought my GS450h, trunk space was not a major factor for me. i drive it to and from work, no real need to carry anything in the trunk. if i need trunk space, i use my SUV instead.
Old 08-22-11, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LIMS407
^^^ that is nice if you can swing it, that's A LOT of money

I would love to have a new fancy cars every 2~3 years!
leasing isn't for everyone. but for those with disposable income and know about write off, it can be a pretty damn good thing
Old 08-23-11, 05:37 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

I Love the New GS.

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 08-23-11 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-23-11, 06:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

wow $80k for loaded 535i? so $85k~$90k for loaded 550i?

This is crazy, almost $100k for a "normal" 5-series, not even a M. Although even the normal non-M cars are REALLY nice now.
there was nothing crazy in that $80k either, all the stuff i expect to be in GS350.

So I think loaded GS350 F-Sport with bi-LEDs and everything we saw in the interior, will easily cross 70k.
Old 08-23-11, 06:14 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good points here.

i think the 4GS350 'old' engine will be short lived, replaced after a year, 2 at most.
the hybrid 4GS450h will likely be similar to the current drivetrain too, but the car will perform better because it's lighter and with better handling. i believe this drivetrain too will be short lived.
this is in line with lexus new plan to refresh drivetrains midcycle, and i know 1-2 yrs is less than mid cycle, but i think competition (and regs) may require it.
i highly highly doubg any V10 will show up for a GS-F. i bet it's a tweaked version of the IS-F drivetrain, which is FAST anyway. moreover, it's visceral - sounds good, low end v8 grunt, etc.

anyway, just my morning speculation.
This is what I guess as well. Remember that Toyata Execs said that they need to update their line up more often to keep current/new customers interested.

I also think that we will see the new version of IS-F engines since that 5.0 V8 has lots of potential and they will probably be shared for both the IS-F and GS-F.
Old 08-23-11, 06:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
trunk was an big issue previously, it is why i didnt buy GS450h... but 2012 model should have big hybrid trunk, just tiny bit smaller than regular model, and bigger than 2010 GS 350 for instance.
Old 08-23-11, 06:54 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I-FORCE
Okay, to start off i am not a pessimistic individual.. I am actually easily pleased but Toyota's conservativeness is seriously beginning to get to me.

The 4th-gen GS was my last hope for Lexus to catch up and prove to the world that they are not to be taken lightly. The new GS sounds very promising and looks stunning (minus the rear end which needs some getting used to IMO). Its interesting to know that it offers a great drive and handling, interior and options are beautiful and seem very well built and solid as usual...

HOWEVER.. I have always been a V8 enthusiast. What in the world possessed TMC to even consider dropping the V8-Variant? BMW and Mercedes offer great V8 competition and Lexus bailing out on us is just disappointing. We were expecting/anticipating an F-Variant with a possibility of a V10.. Now they say the stock V8 is to be discontinued?? Plenty of V8s offered today (2UR-FSE [IS-F] - 2UR-FE [LS600 Gas-Motor] - 1UR-FE [460 Motor] 3UR-FE [Toy/Lex Truck motors] which would fit perfectly and offer great performance if slightly tweaked or even left as is.. Why do they always have to offer the 'Green' Image' and impress government officials and tree huggers at the expense of disappointing their customers and fans.. I'm not against considering emissions but a V8 engine should be offered and even deemed a necessity by a large portion of potential customers interested in a 'Performance Luxury Sedan.' I am not wiling to pay North of $50k for a 6-cyl offering 306HP when i can have a 400+HP 550I BMW 'IF I REACH A LITTLE DEEPER IN MY POCKETS' (the option of a V8 is nice to have IMO).. I am and have been a Toyota fan to the bone for some time and have a complete lineup of Toyota/Lexus vehicles at the household but this seems like its going to change with Lexus' conservativeness. I understand that emission regulations are quite stringent at this day and age but since the competition have managed to pull it off, i don't see why Lexus shouldn't either. Infiniti dropped a whopping 5.6L V8 in their new M; How on earth will the GS350 or even 450H compete with the 425BHP that offers?

I just felt really upset when finding out and wanted to see if others shared my feeling on this subject. I hope Lexus listen and step it up a little; fixing one factor doesn't mean neglecting another (performance in this case). It's bad enough having limited power mods throughout the lineup thanks to an un-programmable ECU.. Now the V8 has been dropped? Let me see what they're gonna do when its time to offer the new LS.

Let the debate begin...

The ONLY thing I like about the 550i is that its has a opt for a 400hp V8 which is nice piece even if its over kill for what most people need the car for. But the performance numbers I've seen for the 400hp 550i aren't what you would expect from a 400hp car so disappointment there but I bet that's due in part to its weight. Top that off with multiple reviews about how the car isn't the drivers car it used to be and the fact it just a small 7 series . . the 5 Series isn't such a big deal. Much more interested in this new GS. Your issue seems to be HP if you care about HP and JUST HP then go for the BMW.. but if you want a much better built inside and out buy the Lexus. Plus I doubt the 550i is THAT much faster then the GS even with its power advantage. Plus you would compare the GS350 to a similar powered 5 series anyway not the 550i. I would take the M5 over the GS350 but I would rather have the GS350 over the 550i and its lower models. The GS350 has the most powerful base engine in its class.

You would prob pay more for the V8 but your wants prob wont be everyone else. Someone might not want a V8 or dont see the need fit for it MPG is where its at . If Lexus can get 400hp performance from say a hybrid AND get MPG better then the rest of them while doing it? Well that a win right there. Its not like the V6 is slow its pretty quick and faster certain V8 cars. I think your jumping the gun the GS just came about so leave the serious power stuff to the GSF. Having more power is fun but most people want good Mpg. How many 550i have you actually seen on the road compared to its lower models? I see the lower model 5 series almost every time I think I've only ever seen one or two 550i models.

In my eyes this 4th gen GS is better over the 550i in every way inside and out and from the ground up the GS is a better car. Unlike the BMW the Lex will actually stand out from other Lexus cars and stand out in a crowd. I also feel the GS has something special about it that the 5 series doesn't. The GS has something to prove where the 5 series is just living off its BWM badge.

Last edited by JDMToyotas; 08-23-11 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-23-11, 07:28 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there was nothing crazy in that $80k either, all the stuff i expect to be in GS350.

So I think loaded GS350 F-Sport with bi-LEDs and everything we saw in the interior, will easily cross 70k.
no way,no one will touch at 70k,,,maybe GS-F at 70k to 75k,,,F-sport is nothin but few parts installed,,60k max,,,
Old 08-23-11, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

a gs350 f sport touching 70k, that's going to be a very tough sell

Quick Reply: Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..