GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 12:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

V8 is already a niche market for a LONG time, especially when you look at worldwide demand for them.
Even in North America, the V6 versions outsold V8's by at least 3 or 4 to one, but yes I still want one
Old 08-21-11, 12:46 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I too am interested in the economy of the V6 hybrid and the power it has the potential to produce. After owning an RX450h I can really see the potential for hybrids and I'm really interested in seeing what the GS450h is like to drive. I believe there are many other people like me interested in hybrids nowadays.
Old 08-21-11, 01:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
V8 is already a niche market for a LONG time, especially when you look at worldwide demand for them.
Even in North America, the V6 versions outsold V8's by at least 3 or 4 to one, but yes I still want one
yes you're right of course, but i forsee a greater separation (greater niche market than it already is?) in the coming years. V6 outsell V8 3-4 to 1 now; i forsee V6 outsell V8 5-6 to 1 (or more) in a couple of years once the idea of a performance hybrid gains traction and becomes mainstream. right now when you talk about hybrid, most people only think of prius and fuel economy (and NOT performance).

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I too am interested in the economy of the V6 hybrid and the power it has the potential to produce. After owning an RX450h I can really see the potential for hybrids and I'm really interested in seeing what the GS450h is like to drive. I believe there are many other people like me interested in hybrids nowadays.
+1 i'm with you, except i'm currently enjoying my 3GS450h.

Last edited by Stormforge; 08-21-11 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-21-11, 02:16 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Henry my tastes have changed. Again I do wish a regular V-8 was offered but even if it was, I would have minimal interest. My interest is in the hybrid and the F.

Like you bought a M3 and said to hell with a 335 or a chipped 335. No interest.

I still think its a mistake NOT to offer a regular V-8 b/c that 10% might be the people you WANT buying your car. Again if there was no GS 400, there would be no
1sicklex
rominl
davegs4
j.p
bitkahuna
ck
percy
etc
etc
etc

I mean that is damn near the entire moderator forum That car brought us here. Now that I think of it tons of old, new mods are GS 400 owners at one time. Not to mention the 2GS forum is one if not the busiest forum and who runs it? GS 400/430 owners, with all due respect to GS 300 owners.

I can only hope the IS F/GS F etc continues that tradition of interest.
If they do a turbo v6 that may fill the gap for not having the reg v8 because people will look at the numbers...

But v6 anything prob is not going to get any money from the list noted above and to go with that the half *** effort of the v8 in the 3GS did not do it either so what did they lose?

The trend seems to be, on here anywhere, give me the hybrid or the F, and the rest are fine with the v6..... So looking at old sales numbers, feedback from places such as CL, maybe Lexus knew it would be wasted to bring weak v8 to the game that will sell less than 10% of total GS sales. If they are going to do the v8, do the F, DO IT RIGHT and you end up with some great sales given the nature of the car + the halo benefits.

I keep looking at the CLS550 as a benchmark, 80k TT 400hp V8 and its not even an AMG car, Lexus knows where they need to be.

Last edited by J.P.; 08-21-11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-21-11, 02:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The 5.0 V8 in the LS600hL and the IS-F can easily make 400+ hp to compete with the rest of the V8's in it's class.
They need a more powerful V8 for the next LS, I don't think the current 4.6 is competitive anymore, so I don't see why the 4GS cannot share the same V8 with the next generation LS which should be only a year to two away.

I am also wondering what they will do with the 600hL for the next generation, so will they make another LS hybrid their top flagship, it's also obvious the current 5.0 V8 + hybrid drive won't do anymore, what will they have in mind to replace the current 600hL ? Maybe use a modified V10 too to share with the GS-F ?
Old 08-21-11, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

The 5.0 V8 in the LS600hL and the IS-F can easily make 400+ hp to compete with the rest of the V8's in it's class.
They need a more powerful V8 for the next LS, I don't think the current 4.6 is competitive anymore, so I don't see why the 4GS cannot share the same V8 with the next generation LS which should be only a year to two away.

I am also wondering what they will do with the 600hL for the next generation, so will they make another LS hybrid their top flagship, it's also obvious the current 5.0 V8 + hybrid drive won't do anymore, what will they have in mind to replace the current 600hL ? Maybe use a modified V10 too to share with the GS-F ?
When you have S class moving to 4 cylinder options, i think mainstream LS will be LS350 and LS450h in the future, no matter what the flagship is.

LS only adds 200lbs to the GS so they would still be sub 6s cars.

LS600h while flagship, has not sold well worldwide.
Old 08-21-11, 03:44 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
When you have S class moving to 4 cylinder options, i think mainstream LS will be LS350 and LS450h in the future, no matter what the flagship is.

LS only adds 200lbs to the GS so they would still be sub 6s cars.

LS600h while flagship, has not sold well worldwide.
So no S550, no V12's , no S63, S65 in the future ? Only S450 as their top S-class models ?
Old 08-21-11, 04:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

So no S550, no V12's , no S63, S65 in the future ? Only S450 as their top S-class models ?
i said "mainstream". Not many bought LS600h and despite it being some technological wonder, nobody really cared.

I think they should be better off with V10 LS-F and then do proper hybrid that makes sense and is sellable than something that nobody cares about except for 500 buyers/year and fanboys on the internet.
Old 08-21-11, 04:14 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The auto market seems to end up like everything else, you have the low end and the high end, the middle market is fading.

We will have the F's, M's, AMG's in small numbers, and rest will be 4 \ 6 cyc \ hybrids \ diesels to meet the future MPG reqs and rep the mass sales.

Just make sure you give us a good option when it comes to the F and not a half hearted effort....
Old 08-21-11, 06:53 PM
Rider
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they should have a V8 exclusive to the Middle-East! No one buys V6 over here.
Old 08-21-11, 10:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

very good points. i wonder where the next LS engine will head to. i surely hope they are not going to stay with the same v8.

all i know is i see tons of s550 and those people don't seem to care as much about gas, at least here in the US. same with 750il. i don't see much s400 and 740 around.
Old 08-22-11, 08:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

good points here.

i think the 4GS350 'old' engine will be short lived, replaced after a year, 2 at most.
the hybrid 4GS450h will likely be similar to the current drivetrain too, but the car will perform better because it's lighter and with better handling. i believe this drivetrain too will be short lived.
this is in line with lexus new plan to refresh drivetrains midcycle, and i know 1-2 yrs is less than mid cycle, but i think competition (and regs) may require it.
i highly highly doubg any V10 will show up for a GS-F. i bet it's a tweaked version of the IS-F drivetrain, which is FAST anyway. moreover, it's visceral - sounds good, low end v8 grunt, etc.

anyway, just my morning speculation.
Old 08-22-11, 08:41 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider
I think they should have a V8 exclusive to the Middle-East! No one buys V6 over here.
I agree with the V8 exclusive, but I don't agree with the V6 part, I see GS300s more than GS430/GS460.

The thing is nobody really buys the Hybrid, in general I mean. They don't even offer that much.
Old 08-22-11, 09:34 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, i dont find this car to be a total redesign. It looks nice, but not totally original. Yes, there should be resemblance in the family but that doesnt mean you cant be original and creative.

The front is an ES with a body kit, the side is a LS 460, and the rear is an ES/IS/Hyundai sonata.
Old 08-22-11, 09:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good points here.

i think the 4GS350 'old' engine will be short lived, replaced after a year, 2 at most.
the hybrid 4GS450h will likely be similar to the current drivetrain too, but the car will perform better because it's lighter and with better handling. i believe this drivetrain too will be short lived.
this is in line with lexus new plan to refresh drivetrains midcycle, and i know 1-2 yrs is less than mid cycle, but i think competition (and regs) may require it.
i highly highly doubg any V10 will show up for a GS-F. i bet it's a tweaked version of the IS-F drivetrain, which is FAST anyway. moreover, it's visceral - sounds good, low end v8 grunt, etc.

anyway, just my morning speculation.
hybrids are like diesels in the sense that engine block is just one tiny bit of the puzzle, so they will update it with more battery power for instance and probably different battery later on in few years.

So essentially, i expect you being able to notice hybrid updates a lot sooner than with your regular engine updates, just like diesels, even toyota diesels, get updated every 2-3-4 years with new turbos, new injectors, new fuel pumps, etc.

Quick Reply: Like the car a lot, nevertheless; Disappointed..