GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS Release Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 07:25 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey did someone say what that little "hump" is just behind (and blow the speed gauges)the steering wheel is? Looks like two little red LED lights.
Old 08-18-11, 07:27 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched the Pebble Beach 2013 GS debut and they made no mention of a V8 GS other than the GSf and that will be Nov, sema for info on that..
they talked about how sporty the trans and suspension is but only mention the 3.5 306 hp V6 and hybrid.

sounds like the only chance for a V8 GS is the F and hopefully they won't "F" that up and make it a hybrid like rumored......
Old 08-18-11, 07:28 PM
SDLexus
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like. I wonder (probably not) if that's going to be the stance of the production model. Looks low and almost no wheel gap. I want to see the F-Sport version. I'll wait 'til the 2014 version but this is looking like my next car
Old 08-18-11, 07:29 PM
two2tone
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

306hp??? Man... all i gotta say is the 3IS best be 400hp... i mean... spending in the $40k range... Id expect nothing less than 400hp
Old 08-18-11, 07:32 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by two2tone
306hp??? Man... all i gotta say is the 3IS best be 400hp... i mean... spending in the $40k range... Id expect nothing less than 400hp
The ISF is 416 and it costs 60k+. What are you talking about?

Base model cars don't even need that much horsepower, the type of people buying the majority of the GS350's don't care all that much about power.

If you need more power, the GS-F or GSh might be what you're looking for.
Old 08-18-11, 07:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by two2tone
LOL where can you find 400hp in a 40K car that is brand name? You have to spend 60+ to get that

Also I noticed that chrome strip is no longer there on the bottom of the doors
Old 08-18-11, 07:34 PM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

This is all very encouraging. Especially considering the early drives of the camo'd prototypes revealed it to be a much better drive than previous generations. It'd be nice if this new direction put a dent in the Lexus Isolation Chamber stigma and made even the base models more involving. I for one would enjoy less whining from my favorite car mags.
Old 08-18-11, 07:36 PM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

The headlights look like a CT200h with a half IS350, half Lancer Ralliart grill. The side is 2004-2010 BMW 5 series and the back looks like a new Sonata.

What a disaster.

It should have looked more like a new Benz E Class front end with a smaller, sportier LS460 side profile. I have a 2GS and plan on buying the 3GS but this one, forget it.
Old 08-18-11, 07:42 PM
ben9
Rookie

Originally Posted by TF109B
No V10, V8 probably with more HP, hopefully around 500. I bet it. New IS-F will have to have more power. So maybe 430-450hp for new IS-F, and maybe 50 more for GS-F?
I HOPE SO! That'll be really sweet!... I hope they don't do that V8 hybrid... not even a mild-hybrid. GS deserves to be beefed up!
Old 08-18-11, 07:45 PM
LexFather

For all those complaining about 306hp to its credit it weighs by far, a class low 3715 lbs. That is utterly amazing in this day and age when everyone is gaining 400-500lbs. That will help handling and MPG.

It also seems to have the lowest CD in class.

I will say I would have wished for a bump to at least 320hp though, it is disappointing.

Contrarily to the 3GS though, while the 4GS has a carryover engine it really seems they went all out with everything else. That interior really seems arguably best in class. The options and features are pretty awesome and I noted 3-4 firsts/firsts in class.

Did anyone pay attention to the paint and how it will be done? 875 watt ML? Not to be funny but I was stunned to see the new INfiniti JX thing still has Bose in 2012.

As I told people a couple of days ago during the silly white AWD GS fiasco, the final product will look better. IT does. I am not head over heels, I am not blown away but I am not hurt or turned away from it. I see A LOT of potential here.

To Lexus credit the GS has aged pretty well each generation and I think the 3GS has aged amazingly well. While I fear the front end being bold might not age as well, the rest of the car seems to avoid so many old cliches and overwraught details seen today.The GS seems to have "matured" to finally a baby LS and I'll be honest as I've gotten older the LS looks more appealing with the seats, space, features. Now Lexus lets people get those features in a GS.

I'm encouraged by what Lexus has done overall. I can only imagine how the next generation LS will be!!

If the GS 350 is 3700lbs, I can imagine the GS F being around 4,000 lbs. That would be really incredible.

This is a base, silver GS 350. I am encouraged that the F-sport will perk things up and since this car is the same size as the 3GS but slightly wider, some nice 20" wheels and a drop should do wonders.

Thanks to everyone who sent pics live!
Old 08-18-11, 07:53 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
LOL where can you find 400hp in a 40K car that is brand name? You have to spend 60+ to get that
not that it really compares to a GS but to answer your question off top of my head 2011+ 5.0 mustang 412hp for about 30k or a 440hp boss for $40k.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Also I noticed that chrome strip is no longer there on the bottom of the doors
an improvement to me, cleaner, less clutter.
Old 08-18-11, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Is anyone reading the press release???

Caught this too

ECO mode revises throttle mapping, seat heating, and climate control systems for better fuel economy. In ECO mode, meter lighting changes to blue.
SPORT S mode revises throttle mapping and transmission shifting priorities to fully exploit the capabilities of the powertrain. In SPORT S mode, meter lighting changes to red.
SPORT S+ mode (available on some models) engages handling enhancements via a sport setting of the adaptive variable suspension, steering system, and vehicle stability control (VSC) together with the powertrain enhancements of SPORT S mode.
Like the CT! Awesome! 4 modes. Awesome!

Old 08-18-11, 07:56 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
For all those complaining about 306hp to its credit it weighs by far, a class low 3715 lbs. That is utterly amazing in this day and age when everyone is gaining 400-500lbs. That will help handling and MPG.

It also seems to have the lowest CD in class.

I will say I would have wished for a bump to at least 320hp though, it is disappointing.

Contrarily to the 3GS though, while the 4GS has a carryover engine it really seems they went all out with everything else. That interior really seems arguably best in class. The options and features are pretty awesome and I noted 3-4 firsts/firsts in class.

Did anyone pay attention to the paint and how it will be done? 875 watt ML? Not to be funny but I was stunned to see the new INfiniti JX thing still has Bose in 2012.

As I told people a couple of days ago during the silly white AWD GS fiasco, the final product will look better. IT does. I am not head over heels, I am not blown away but I am not hurt or turned away from it. I see A LOT of potential here.

To Lexus credit the GS has aged pretty well each generation and I think the 3GS has aged amazingly well. While I fear the front end being bold might not age as well, the rest of the car seems to avoid so many old cliches and overwraught details seen today.The GS seems to have "matured" to finally a baby LS and I'll be honest as I've gotten older the LS looks more appealing with the seats, space, features. Now Lexus lets people get those features in a GS.

I'm encouraged by what Lexus has done overall. I can only imagine how the next generation LS will be!!

If the GS 350 is 3700lbs, I can imagine the GS F being around 4,000 lbs. That would be really incredible.

This is a base, silver GS 350. I am encouraged that the F-sport will perk things up and since this car is the same size as the 3GS but slightly wider, some nice 20" wheels and a drop should do wonders.

Thanks to everyone who sent pics live!
According to Lexus the engine is direct and port fuel injected, was this the case with the 3GS?

The new GS is powered by an advanced 3.5-liter V6, four cams, and four valves per cylinder with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i). At 306 horsepower, it is one of the most powerful base engines in the segment, as well as the only one with both port and direct injection. It propels the GS from 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds and at the same time, fuel economy has been improved.
So it's not a direct carryover.

As for power, it still makes more of it than the 535i (300HP) and E350 (268 HP). The current 3GS bests the E350 in fuel economy by quite a bit, and is on par with the 535i.

This is the best picture of the 4GS I've seen, it looks good but still a bit bland IMO:

4GS Release Discussion!-gnm4d.jpg

More on autoblog.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 08-18-11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-18-11, 07:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
According to Lexus the engine is direct and port fuel injected, was this the case with the 3GS?

As for power, it still makes more of it than the 535i (300HP) and E350 (268 HP). The current 3GS bests the E350 in fuel economy by quite a bit, and is on par with the 535i.
Well we live in a world where some people live by and can only quote peak HP figures, not even knowing what RPM that power is made at. Its worked for marketing for decades.

Lexus having the only direct/port fuel injected car in class will be overlooked and rarely mentioned. Instead we will hear "OMG ITS THE SAME ENGINE" even if that engine is still among best in class in 4 key areas
1. Acceleration
2. MPG
3. Durability
4. Smoothness
Old 08-18-11, 08:02 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

It's like a love it or hate it design, right now it's "ok" in my book but maybe the F-Sport or GS-F version will look more nice, only time will tell!

Quick Reply: 4GS Release Discussion!