GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 07:06 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And one is a photoshop and the other is a masked mule. Yes I can see what you and others are saying but I am not going to beat the living daylights out of concepts/covered mules. I understand excitement for those waiting to see the GS but I simply do not understand constant posting and harping and defecating on the GS. A point is made, move on.

If I wanted to drive myself crazy, I could quote the comments complaining about wheelgap, the wheel choice and the LEDs all on a mule driven at the Ring.
All we can do before seeing the actual car is speculate and try to derive as much as we can from the heavily covered up mule. It gives us a bar to set expectations at, especially in clear cut areas like proportions and overhangs that cannot be covered up.
Old 07-14-11, 07:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thus far the pics and spy shots leave me lukewarm, so I am not even defending the LOOKS of the design. I have a sad feeling its going to let me down, heck we already know it loses the quad lamps, a signature I love about the GS.
So you're lukewarm on it so far and have a sad feeling. Despite all your protests about the critics, they're not far off what you've said. They're disappointed in what they've seen thus far. Me too!

Looks like the interior will be great, but the exterior is really nothing special from what we can see, hopefully we're all missing something.

The exterior of the e class is nothing special really, and the a6 is sleek but pretty bland. The 5 series to me (I don't care if it's derived from the 7 series or a mack truck), is awesome!

While Lexus now has many vehicles, and the LS really set Lexus off with a bang, as you know it was the 2GS that really got enthusiasts and clublexus going, which is why a new GS is a big deal.

And it's not all negative nancy on cl - I'd say the comments overall for the lfa for example were overwhelmingly positive.
Old 07-14-11, 07:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
All we can do before seeing the actual car is speculate and try to derive as much as we can from the heavily covered up mule. It gives us a bar to set expectations at, especially in clear cut areas like proportions and overhangs that cannot be covered up.
Which is fine but the constant "oh it should be this and that" yadda yadda is well noise. I wish it looked like this but I'm not going to complain over and over A JAPANESE CAR DOESN'T LOOK ITALIAN

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So you're lukewarm on it so far and have a sad feeling. Despite all your protests about the critics, they're not far off what you've said. They're disappointed in what they've seen thus far. Me too!

Looks like the interior will be great, but the exterior is really nothing special from what we can see, hopefully we're all missing something.

The exterior of the e class is nothing special really, and the a6 is sleek but pretty bland. The 5 series to me (I don't care if it's derived from the 7 series or a mack truck), is awesome!

While Lexus now has many vehicles, and the LS really set Lexus off with a bang, as you know it was the 2GS that really got enthusiasts and clublexus going, which is why a new GS is a big deal.

And it's not all negative nancy on cl - I'd say the comments overall for the lfa for example were overwhelmingly positive.
The 2GS will never happen again. Lexus caught the market flatfooted with it. There is way to much competition today and they are all pretty damn good. We have mainstream blandmobiles that look damn good and use luxury styling cues now.

If people want an arresting looking car, buy the Maser I posted above or an Aston Martin Rapide. If you like ugly but love the engineering, buy the Panamera, I would. Otherwise, its a sea of been there done that in most cases.

Old 07-14-11, 09:05 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't understand the hate for the 'overhangs' I prefer the look of the new GS concept over the new 5 series whose blunted front end looks like a bull dog.
Old 07-14-11, 10:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

F10 is 400 lbs heavier than GS350, with less standard equipment.

I will gladly accept few inches of overhang for 400lbs of weight.

the F10 is heavy in part because it uses an all-steel chassis instead of part-aluminum, supposedly as a cost saving measure.

but it still gets good mileage- 20/30mpg
Old 07-14-11, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
even worse, if it was a cost cutting reason to reuse the same chassis.
we may never know.

but done is done. here's to hoping this GS addresses every single shortcoming of the previous 3 generations.
well, not a lot of information is out there yet so i will reserve for final judgment when the car comes out. but my question is whether lexus come out with a new platform, or they stay with the same 3gs platform (and if so, why?). i know the mule from PS seems to have the same wheel base, but i guess i am holding out for a little hope here. i personally don't like the big overhang, and if wheel base is what limit lexus to create good usable space, shown evidently in the 3gs, then i am all for longer wheel base.

Originally Posted by spwolf
downside is weight... BMW uses it to place engine behind the front axle for better weight distribution, but again, problem is that it is very heavy vehicle.

my AWD was already heavy car... I dont want GS to gain 500-600lbs like F10 did.
maybe someone can educate me more, but i don't understand why longer wheel base seems to be directly related to more weight. bmw choose to do the f10 from 7 series that's their choice, but wheel base and chassis don't determine that much of a weight of the car. if lexus is really claiming what they claim on all the technology from the lfa, then there are tons of stuff they can save weight on.

one interesting thing is, i believe the is300 platform was based on a shortened 2gs platform (if my memory is still remotely right). i didn't hear people complaining about weight back then. people all praised how that means it's a strong sturdy good platform
Old 07-14-11, 11:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
So, perhaps this image was not that far off,

looks pretty close to what we are seeing now
I would put my money on the car looking really similar to this car. It looks like an ES mixed with an LS. Not a bad thing
Old 07-15-11, 12:35 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^Honestly from the spy pics I don't think will look like that. Someone just stuck the CT front end on there
Old 07-15-11, 02:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
I don't like where the side mirros are placed
That was mainly done for noise and aerodynamics. The 2nd Gen IS was the first Lexus to do this...and it's not going away anytime soon.
Old 07-15-11, 03:24 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to have overhangs otherwise car is going to look like its squished. Like new 5er when you see it in person, there is just something wrong with front overhang that is so short and so upright and squareish. New A6 does such a better job on front overhang than 5 series.

GS overhang doesn't bother me at all and if we are going to nitpick probably the only thing that bothers me on the front is that grill is not streching all the way down to be in the line with rest of the gorund effects, you can see that on profile pictures. Maybe they are saving that one for F-Sport.
Old 07-15-11, 06:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the comments about using the same platform as the 3GS, I don't see why that would be a problem. Many people have the perception that every "brand new" car is 100% "brand new" and thus, must have a brand new everything when, in fact, several use the same exact platform that they were based on before or a modified version of the same architecture.

Not for nothing, but exactly what a platform or chassis even is has become quite fluid now adays with companies building coupes, sedans, crossovers and minivans, FWD, AWD, 4 cylinders, hybrids, V6s, all on the same architecture.

My point here is that whether or not the 4GS uses the same platform, a modified one, or a totally new one, I'm sure they had their reasons for doing so. Let's wait and see what the final production model looks like, wait for the first drives and our own impressions, and then decide whether or not they did a fair job
Old 07-15-11, 07:17 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

not sure if its a repost.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...d-at-the-Ring/
Old 07-15-11, 07:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Not a repost - thanks for the pics! Overhang looks perfectly normal in these pictures

The more of this car that I see, the more I'm liking it...
Old 07-15-11, 07:53 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1, the more I see the more I like it too. I also think that the overhang looks very normal and definitely not too long.
Old 07-15-11, 07:55 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm. See a diffuser, but no exhaust. Is it using a blown diffuser setup like Red Bull's F1 car? .. lol j/k

Nice proportions, I hope Lexus knocks it out of the park with looks, feel, quality and specs on the 4GS.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)