GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 03:59 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I would buy the LF-GH outright as it is.
Old 07-13-11, 04:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah right, paper theory again. you saying bmw aren't as rigid? plus how many people would remotely push cars like this to that kind of limit? and how many would prefer to have the flexibility to take in bigger cargo?
honestly i always hated 5 door sedans because of NVH myself... so i would never buy one (i had few). Sure it is not apples to apples, but i dont think i would use GS with its small trunk opening to carry things long enough... but thats just me, imho.
Old 07-13-11, 04:35 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
honestly i always hated 5 door sedans because of NVH myself... so i would never buy one (i had few). Sure it is not apples to apples, but i dont think i would use GS with its small trunk opening to carry things long enough... but thats just me, imho.
And that's why BMW is kind enough to offer fold-down rear seats as an option.
Old 07-13-11, 05:22 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hope those mule wheels don't make it to production.

i want those concave concept wheels.
Old 07-13-11, 05:46 PM
rocks
Driver

Fold down rear seats is a very worthwhile feature, I can't tell you how many times it helped me with carrying larger items in my E46 sedan. This is why I can't fathom why Lexus does not offer it on their cars when even a 3 series offer it. We own two cars in my household, no SUV's or trucks so that feature is critical to me. I remember when my Sister's husband was using a wheel chair, it was pretty easy getting it inside their E60 without scratching the seats, again because of the fold-able rear seats....

Ps. I am considering a switch to this marque and the omission of this feature might be the single facet that may dissuade me from switching.

Last edited by rocks; 07-13-11 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 07:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Great shots! Look at the rear! Sleek and wide, and the tails look angry! L-shaped LED tail lights too, very nice. Love the front as well, looks aggressive.

The theme of the 4GS is aggressive. Something the 3GS never really had. This looks like the hybrid being tested.

Also like the muscular fender flares that can be seen through the camo.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I really wish Lexus was a bit more creative with the DRL.

It's always gonna be compared to Audi.

Instead of a string of LED bulbs, they should have done some type of LED "tube" that diffuses the light.
LED tubes can look even more tacky. Some future Toyota models will have LED tubes. Hyundai is overusing tube lighting, and Audi is using it now as well.

I very much actually like the Lexus LED setup. Out on the road, the Lexus LED lights look classy and refined, and not like christmas tree lights which all Audi LEDs look like. Plus, the full LED projector lamps look great on the Lexus models, something which Audi isn't really doing.

As for these spy shots, the car still has heavy camo on. I'll wait for the final production version before commenting on this.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I don't know about you guys but to me this shot makes it look a lot like the CT:
Don't be fooled. The car still has heavy camo on. Look closely at how thick and padded the camo on the hood is. It completely hides the muscular lines of the car. The rear end and fender bulges give away that this car will have muscular lines. The aggressive front bumper also gives away that this will have muscular lines. Also notice the heavy padded camo on the roof, which slightly obscures the overall silhouette of the car.

I see a similarity to the CT, which makes sense. Once the camo comes off and we see the final production version, I think it will look more like the LF-Gh than CT.
Old 07-13-11, 07:49 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
I think the problem is that Lexus got lazy and doesn't seem to bother to develop a new chassis for the new GS, as evident by the LF-Gh still having the same 112.2-inch wheelbase as the current GS, by far the shortest in class, and with that comes likely the smallest rear legroom once again. The 5-series has a 116.7-inch wheelbase in comparison.

yeah. that was pretty lazy.

I think the front to wheel distance should be shorter than the wheel to door distance.
Right now, the 4GS has almost a FWD look. Even the Audi A4 has a longer wheelbase/length ratio, which means shorter overhangs.

here's an animation of what the GS would've looked like with a 115-116 wheelbase...
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-gs.gif  
Old 07-13-11, 08:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jre002
I suppose. It's not ugly at all. Looks pretty good, actually. I just think they took a step back in the design and went more traditonal with everything past the C-pillar.

the c pillar is all the way in the back.

you mean the A pillar ?
Old 07-13-11, 08:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well a 5 door is quite different than a 4 door sedan. There is little difference between a sedan with and without fold down seats. The braces behind the seats are usually thin gauge steel, and they cover maybe 20% of the area. Hardly worth anything when it comes to HVH.

The 3GS could have benefited from a fold down seat because it almost makes up for the small trunk that it has. I go fishing quite often and somtimes I could use a fold down seat for my fishing rods. Right now, the only way to get them in my car is to have them bent.
Old 07-13-11, 08:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yeah. that was pretty lazy.

I think the front to wheel distance should be shorter than the wheel to door distance.
Right now, the 4GS has almost a FWD look. Even the Audi A4 has a longer wheelbase/length ratio, which means shorter overhangs.

here's an animation of what the GS would've looked like with a 115-116 wheelbase...

Old 07-13-11, 09:04 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Long overhangs ftl ...
Old 07-13-11, 09:07 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the c pillar is all the way in the back.

you mean the A pillar ?
I think he means he doesn't like the trunk??
Old 07-13-11, 09:26 PM
LexFather

All cars are getting longer overhangs, has anyone seen a BMW or Benz or Audi? They used to have very short overhangs, not anymore. Heck the 3GS overhang is longer than the 2GS.

Car makers have to sadly make their cars pass Euro pedestrian crash standards and it is uglifying cars. Then they have to pass tough US regs if they want a 4/5 star rating.

You want to see a long overhang and complete ungainliness? Compare these two

DJ as usual is being overly negative and is jumping to conclusions based on a GS COMPLETELY COVERED IN BLACK TARP where even the headlights are covered in plastic.

Seriously, some of you need a woman's touch, a hug, it will make you feel better

Old 07-13-11, 09:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Guys let's get this back on the topic of the 4GS and not on the people posting in the thread please.
Old 07-13-11, 10:11 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I find it funny that we have seen a concept and spy shots of the GS but none of the ES which is supposed to come first, right?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)