GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 02:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
The GS460 already has the LS' 1UR-FSE and trans, but with less hp.
Originally Posted by (Cj)
I believe Lexus will upgrade the GSh to Lithium-ion batteries which cost more. Trunk space is too important in the luxury sector for the hybrid to be only the upmarket engine option (outside of the F). Even with improved packaging the GSh would still have less space than a standard GS.
Every time my G/F and I go out and need to use the trunk, she always gives me this look like "your trunk sucks" and then mentions "your trunk is so much smaller than mine".

To which I remind her in a pleasant way your entire car sucks with its huge trunk.

Old 12-09-09, 02:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
So anyone with a GS 430/460 looking to stay within the GS family will be moving 'up' (or forward) with a 3.5L v6 as a top of the line choice, unless we go for the GS-F?

Lexus has been a complete fail with the 430 line up ever since it's beginning.
The v6 in the GS is quicker then the v8s right now so I don't see a big reason to pay all the extra money to get the slower v8 aside for more down low torque. I never really see 3rd gen GSs430 and have never seen a GS460, they are all 350s. If the GS350 is the quicker version and the one the majority wants and buys then I think it is a smart move to focus on that car and leave the v8 for a high performance model. If a 350 has 330hp and has a 5 sec or sub 5 sec 0-60 while getting decent fuel economy I doubt many are going to be complaining of no normal v8 version. The days of v8s available like they are now or were and hp wars are pretty much over with increasing sCAFE standards and a poor economy that is barely recovering. We will be seeing even more v8s replaced by 6 cylinders and 6 cylinders replaced by turbo/hybrid/diesel 4 cylinders. It is already happening.

I would figure Lexus would use a larger engine then the 2.5 as a base engine in the next GS since it is sluggish in the smaller lighter IS and may not have enough power for a car like a GS. A 3 liter tuned to around 260hp would be perfect for the IS and GS, 2.5 just seems a bit small unless it is hybrid or FI.

A hybrid GS that uses a smaller engine and focuses on fuel economy instead of power is a smart idea also. Aside from using the 250 as the base engine I think the Motor Trend information looks pretty good if its true.
Old 12-09-09, 02:52 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That article is utter hogwash and conjuncture at this point. I will wait until Lexus actually unveils the car before commenting on specs. Waste of my time to do so until then as I doubt Lexus is listening much to what I have so.
Old 12-09-09, 02:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone that think GS350 is quicker than GS460 has obviously never driven a 460.

Maybe on paper or in a magazine race the 350 is quicker. In real world, theres no comparison.
Old 12-09-09, 03:05 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more important question is: When will Lexus introduce a proper diesel GS for Europe?

Hybrids are incredibly expensive here and are often overlooked in favor of vehicles with smaller diesel engines that get roughly similar fuel economy - and are cheaper to purchase in the first place. A smaller hybrid GS will most likely still lack the popularity and reputation of its diesel-engined German rivals.

It would be a good idea to make the GS roomier inside, too.
Old 12-09-09, 03:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
That article is utter hogwash and conjuncture at this point. I will wait until Lexus actually unveils the car before commenting on specs. Waste of my time to do so until then as I doubt Lexus is listening much to what I have so.

Hogwash?????? I prefer to use BS
Old 12-09-09, 03:16 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Also to mention, if these plans are true, GS 250 etc. hasn't been trademarked in the US yet, although there usually is an embargo of several months.
Old 12-09-09, 03:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Anyone that think GS350 is quicker than GS460 has obviously never driven a 460.

Maybe on paper or in a magazine race the 350 is quicker. In real world, theres no comparison.
i wouldn't say there is no comparison. for speed under 100 if pushed hard the gs350 will keep up with gs460 very well. but any pick up from 80 up and the tq of the 460 will kick in
Old 12-09-09, 03:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
The more important question is: When will Lexus introduce a proper diesel GS for Europe?

Hybrids are incredibly expensive here and are often overlooked in favor of vehicles with smaller diesel engines that get roughly similar fuel economy - and are cheaper to purchase in the first place. A smaller hybrid GS will most likely still lack the popularity and reputation of its diesel-engined German rivals.

It would be a good idea to make the GS roomier inside, too.
never. in fact, they think now that it was mistake to put diesel in IS.

Expect more smaller hybrids with better price tags and space utilization. RX400/450h is by far the best selling Lexus model in Europe.
Old 12-09-09, 04:40 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I would figure Lexus would use a larger engine then the 2.5 as a base engine in the next GS since it is sluggish in the smaller lighter IS and may not have enough power for a car like a GS. A 3 liter tuned to around 260hp would be perfect for the IS and GS, 2.5 just seems a bit small unless it is hybrid or FI.
They should supercharge it and give it some actualy torque while maintaining fuel efficiency.

A 2.5L hybrid would make sense in the IS and GS lines, though of course I would hope that they would still offer the 450h. A 2.5L hybrid would also make sense in the front driver ES and RX.
Old 12-09-09, 04:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
They should supercharge it and give it some actualy torque while maintaining fuel efficiency.

A 2.5L hybrid would make sense in the IS and GS lines, though of course I would hope that they would still offer the 450h. A 2.5L hybrid would also make sense in the front driver ES and RX.
dont be suprised if ES gets 4cly hybrid... quite possibly IS as well, depending on weight. Just more powerful system than current HS250h.
Old 12-09-09, 05:08 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont think that we'll ever see that GS250 here in the US. It is probably going to Europe and China, maybe Russia. Just like Infiniti's G25.
Old 12-09-09, 05:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by UDel
The v6 in the GS is quicker then the v8s right now so I don't see a big reason to pay all the extra money to get the slower v8 aside for more down low torque. I never really see 3rd gen GSs430 and have never seen a GS460, they are all 350s. If the GS350 is the quicker version and the one the majority wants and buys then I think it is a smart move to focus on that car and leave the v8 for a high performance model. If a 350 has 330hp and has a 5 sec or sub 5 sec 0-60 while getting decent fuel economy I doubt many are going to be complaining of no normal v8 version. The days of v8s available like they are now or were and hp wars are pretty much over with increasing sCAFE standards and a poor economy that is barely recovering. We will be seeing even more v8s replaced by 6 cylinders and 6 cylinders replaced by turbo/hybrid/diesel 4 cylinders. It is already happening.

A hybrid GS that uses a smaller engine and focuses on fuel economy instead of power is a smart idea also. Aside from using the 250 as the base engine I think the Motor Trend information looks pretty good if its true.
V-8s are NOT going anywhere. Infiniti now has a 5.0 and 5.6 V-8. BMW has a tt V-8 among other V-8s. Benz has multiple V-8s. Audi has V-8s. Volvo has them, CAddy has them.

V-8s are not going anywhere, people still want them. No turbo or S/C V-6 can have the smoothness of a V-8.

The luxury market has been DEFINED by the V-8.

Not to mention once a carmaker balances offering V-8s with fuel efficient engines like I-4s...well the MPG average should be fine.

Not offering a V-8 is simply LAME. Period.

Old 12-09-09, 05:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Not to mention once a carmaker balances offering V-8s with fuel efficient engines like I-4s...well the MPG average should be fine.
Case in point, my ISF is EPA rated at 16 CITY, 23 HWY but I average well above that amount. The best mileage I've ever gotten is 28mpg on the highway. I average 23-24mpg mixed city/hwy consistently. Despite being a 5.0L V8 with 416hp, it is one fuel efficient Lexus and beats the M3 and C63 AMG by not having a gas guzzler tax added to it's price tag.
Old 12-09-09, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
Case in point, my ISF is EPA rated at 16 CITY, 23 HWY but I average well above that amount. The best mileage I've ever gotten is 28mpg on the highway. I average 23-24mpg mixed city/hwy consistently. Despite being a 5.0L V8 with 416hp, it is one fuel efficient Lexus and beats the M3 and C63 AMG by not having a gas guzzler tax added to it's price tag.
Exactly. EVO, CAR, Top Gear have all RAVED about the MPG in their long term IS-Fs....

Funny but the IS-F gets what 18 MPG average with 416hp. The GS 430 with 300hp gets 18 MPG.

The V-8 will live on and become better than ever.

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)