GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 01:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I was looking at these pics again last night and noticed...the rear wheels fit better than they normally do. The rear wheels are usually sunk in 1-1.5" in. Hmmmmmm....are they finally listening?
hopefully, although the pics also show huge front wheelgap, but that might be to make way for camo (hoping).
Old 06-27-11, 01:51 PM
r00kie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a former 2G GS owner. I moved to an 06 E55 for the power and the looks as I wasn't feeling the 3G GS. My plan was to wait for the 4G GS and hope to come back to the Lexus brand. Unfortunately, if the 4G GS is going to look like the concept, I might have to pass again.

On top of that, I really like the line-up offerings from Benz. So much so, that I picked up a 2011 E350 for my wife (*NOTE: not my car, but similar car - sans Pano roof, but with AMG wheels)

Old 06-27-11, 02:17 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yea the e class has always been a beauty in my eyes. The last gen as well as the newest gen are both gorgeous
Old 06-27-11, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hopefully, although the pics also show huge front wheelgap, but that might be to make way for camo (hoping).
front wheels make it most certainly AWD model... looks a lot like mine. Personally I never minded it as I got AWD for adverse weather, not for showing the badge on the boot. Probably would not even buy the car if not for it being more raised compared to the regular GS.

I just saw new A6 on the parking lot, and looked like every other car out there... I dont know why people want to judge lexus by different standards. None of the competition looks particularly great, most think E class is ugly but at least it looks different, 5 series at speed looks like any other BMW, best design is part is rear lights and A6, again, is bland.

Maybe it is because I am in Europe and I dont see many GS's, but looks wise 3rd gen has held up well compared to the germans, it is not as if looks were ever an issue.
Old 06-27-11, 02:26 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Manuals are dead. They offer inferior performance. None of the supercars have manuals. You'd be insane to stick a manual in a V8 sports sedan unless you have a penchant for high depreciation, and finding a way to make a quick car slower.

And the best paddle shifters are more fun too. Creates a video game dynamic.
I own a Z06 with a manual and I have driven cars with paddle shifters. I have a 2012 Acura TL with paddles. There is simply no comparison in the fun factor for me - I'm 58 years old and you could not give me a Corvette with an automatic. And who the hell cares if the dual-clutch automatics are a tenth faster in any speed contest? We are not buying them to win a F1 race in them, we are buying them to drive them on the street.

I won't ever tell someone that they should drive one or the other, but telling us that manuals are dead or that they are faster or just as much fun may be your opinion, but it doesn't make them the right opinion for everyone. I don't disagree that they are losing ground from a sales standpoint, but go to most foreign countries and you'll see that manual transmissions are far from dead.
Old 06-27-11, 02:57 PM
GuoxJason
Driver School Candidate

Default GS mule running about!

I caught the GS mule too!!! I hope I don't get in trouble for my watermark on the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-img_0139.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-img_0140.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-img_0146.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-img_0147.jpg   4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)-img_0149.jpg  

Old 06-27-11, 02:59 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r00kie
Being a former 2G GS owner. I moved to an 06 E55 for the power and the looks as I wasn't feeling the 3G GS. My plan was to wait for the 4G GS and hope to come back to the Lexus brand. Unfortunately, if the 4G GS is going to look like the concept, I might have to pass again.

On top of that, I really like the line-up offerings from Benz. So much so, that I picked up a 2011 E350 for my wife (*NOTE: not my car, but similar car - sans Pano roof, but with AMG wheels)
Probably the best angle of that car. The side and rear look generic bordering on cheap.

The previous one was classier IMO.
Old 06-27-11, 02:59 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most fun I have had driving a car is a ferrari 360 modena cambiocorsa. Having to deal with a manual transmission in a car like that would be a pain.

I agree manual transmissions are alive and well in overseas markets, but only because they are cheaper.

Fact remains you can't get a Lexus LFA, Jag XKR-S, McLaren MP4-12C, Ferrari Italia, Nissan GTR, Bugatti, or any other car in this league with a manual transmission. Lamborghini is also fazing out manuals as the current crop of cars is replaced.

So if the enthusiast supercars don't have manuals, and the VW Polos of this world do, then one can only assume that the world's top performance car manufacturer's have abandoned the performance car enthusiast. Or more likely that the car enthusiast has also abandoned the manual, and you get guys like Mike who make strong comments about manuals, but actually drive automatics.
Old 06-27-11, 03:26 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, it really is roaming around (I caught the LFA prototype out in the wild last year here in SoCal as well too). Please tell me you got a look inside WOFluxury?
Old 06-27-11, 03:48 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WofLuxury
I caught the GS mule too!!! I hope I don't get in trouble for my watermark on the pictures!
Awesome job! Too bad no interior pics though.

I see some pretty aggressive rear diffusers along with integrated exhausts there, or probably just camo.
Old 06-27-11, 04:25 PM
weezer
Rookie

Does anyone remember an interview about a year ago with a high level Lexus executive that the GS update will only be an update to the front and rear of the car, and the overall length, sides, and dimensions will largely be unchanged? I have a feeling this is exactly what is going to happen. Updated front and rear, and I bet a beautiful interior, but something tells me the exterior is not going to blow any of us away. I have high hopes, but I do not think it's going to knock our socks off. The rear reminds me too much of the ES, and the front doesnt really stand out, looks kind of generic. I hope I'm wrong, I loved my 2007 GFM AWD 350. Moving away from the Quad headlights is a big mistake in my opinion, the 3GS just looks classy... where it needs to look classy, sporty, AND unique without offending or being over styled. I love the look of the 2011 Optima, just a shame the inside looks so bland... the outside is pretty amazing with top notch build quality, test drove a Turbo SX with Pano Sunroof. The inside although functional is VERY underwhelming with too much black plastics, and little contrasts etc. Come on lexus, hit it out of the park!!!
Old 06-27-11, 05:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Manuals are dead. They offer inferior performance. None of the supercars have manuals. You'd be insane to stick a manual in a V8 sports sedan unless you have a penchant for high depreciation, and finding a way to make a quick car slower.

And the best paddle shifters are more fun too. Creates a video game dynamic.
Batman, I'm not picking on you but the arguement and crap flung at Lexus over the years is "they don't offer manuals". So now, its okay to NOT have a manual? This is the double standard against Lexus I speak of, its really out of control.

Enzo Ferrari is surely turning in his grave knowing his road cars will no longer offer manuals. Manuals might be slower but there is simply no replacing a 3rd pedal for feel.

If I ever did a 5 series, it would 100% be a manual, even if the paddle shifters, SMG is great.

I don't care if the LFA, Ferrari's etc don't offer manuals. BMW does with the 5 series. I'll take a guy who owns a manual 5 series posts and listen intently as he actually bought the sportiest version of the car. An automatic BMW still is fantastic but at that point, I'll just mod my Lexus and put up with less steering feel and call it a day if they are in equal segments (in this case 4 door mid size vs 4 door mid size).

Old 06-27-11, 05:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

diffusers? those look like tie downs to me
Old 06-27-11, 06:16 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

These pics look like they were taken outside the Cerritos Towne Center. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-27-11, 06:20 PM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

me likey alot

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)