GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11, 06:04 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
I agree with the above comment from Batman. I just showed my girlfriend the latest photo shopped 4GS pic and she asked if if was a "fixed" up version of her mom's IS250...haha.

If it looks anything like the photo shopped pics lately, I'm going for the new BMW 5 series with an M package.
I can tell you one thing, none of the 4GS cars at launch will be able to compete with the 500hp, 518lb feet of torque of the 550i with the $3k Dinan tune.

I'm sure Lexus will have some new engines, but I doubt it will be by January. Likely will be phased intro of new power units, but launching with tuned versions of the current ones.

Last edited by *Batman*; 06-26-11 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-26-11, 07:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
They may look like bolt-on skirts but the camo could be deceiving. I think it will be integrated as part of the design like with the concept - though toned down.

The front end also doesn't look as upright as the concept's, perhaps to please crash test regulations. The green house is also a tad taller.

So far by all indications, this will be a nice looking car. A tad conservative from some angles, but I'd say more than competitive for the class.
considering how bland A6 and 5 series are, i see this new GS being competitive.
Old 06-26-11, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
considering how bland A6 and 5 series are, i see this new GS being competitive.
but to me it looks dated before it's even launched.

hope the end result does more for me.
Old 06-26-11, 08:07 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus problem is that they make awesome looking concepts but in the end their final product is boring and plain.
Old 06-26-11, 10:09 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
The only good looking one was the one in the auto show. The toned down photo-shops just look like Toyotas with bodykits.

Lexus better stick with their bold new design, or confine themselves to an ever shrinking customer base of geriatric customers.
If they're really bold they'd do this:

Not gonna happen in a million years.
Old 06-26-11, 11:33 AM
LexFather

Why are we talking about modded F10 5 series cars? Then why even bring it up against a car that hasn't debuted and we know there is a 99% chance it won't be forced induction.

Then we had IS 300s turboed and SC 300s turboed years ago. Some have a turbo GS. Do we really want to go into modded cars?

Its a moot point, most people don't mod cars and most BMWs are leased. It's great that you can mod that turbo engine, something Toyota did with the Supra nearly 20 years ago in the Supra.

There are different ways of doing things, there is no one right way. Lexus went with a 3.5 V-6 that when it debuted was fastest in class in the IS with the best fuel economy. BMW had the 330 with 255hp at the time. They countered with a TT unit instead of making a larger V-6. This I-6 is moddable.

This I-6 also has various HPPP and other issues. You might not be able to "chip" a Lexus but they avoided the issues that come with Turbo cars.

And again, Lexus offers a high HP hybrid and BMW does not with the 5 series. So lets not just give credit to BMW and give no credit to Lexus for leading the way here and doing something different in the process.

I've driven the F10 on the road and on a roadcourse, it is very well done, it looks great ONLY with the sport package though derivative. The interior is well done and derivative of any BMW. It handles well for its size, it pushes hard when you punch the gas after turbo lag. Its a BMW that actually drives more like a Lexus than BMWs in the past. Overall it has moved to be more vanilla to please more people. It is bigger, heavier, softer yet still superb. It is honestly the perfect car for IMO, most people.

I'll wait to beat up the GS if necessary after I've driven it and see the specs and can come to a fair conclusion of it.

And my last point, if you buy an automatic F10 when a manual is available, I honestly don't want to hear it. Buy the manual, then you can say how much sportier the car is. If you buy an automatic, well yeah its sportier but its an automatic. Next thing we know BMW won't make manual F10s b/c people were so busy arguing how sporty an automatic BMW is, they never took the time to buy the damn manual.

For me Manual F10 or M5 or nothing.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-26-11 at 11:37 AM.

Old 06-26-11, 01:25 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Hmmm, a turbo GS V8 would be just perfect!
Old 06-26-11, 06:00 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the rear lights dont look like the concept picture
Old 06-26-11, 07:22 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

a lot of time headlights and taillights on pre-production cars are simple tacked on units simply for function. the production taillights might not be on there.
Old 06-26-11, 08:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why are we talking about modded F10 5 series cars? Then why even bring it up against a car that hasn't debuted and we know there is a 99% chance it won't be forced induction.

Then we had IS 300s turboed and SC 300s turboed years ago. Some have a turbo GS. Do we really want to go into modded cars?

Its a moot point, most people don't mod cars and most BMWs are leased. It's great that you can mod that turbo engine, something Toyota did with the Supra nearly 20 years ago in the Supra.

There are different ways of doing things, there is no one right way. Lexus went with a 3.5 V-6 that when it debuted was fastest in class in the IS with the best fuel economy. BMW had the 330 with 255hp at the time. They countered with a TT unit instead of making a larger V-6. This I-6 is moddable.

This I-6 also has various HPPP and other issues. You might not be able to "chip" a Lexus but they avoided the issues that come with Turbo cars.

And again, Lexus offers a high HP hybrid and BMW does not with the 5 series. So lets not just give credit to BMW and give no credit to Lexus for leading the way here and doing something different in the process.

I've driven the F10 on the road and on a roadcourse, it is very well done, it looks great ONLY with the sport package though derivative. The interior is well done and derivative of any BMW. It handles well for its size, it pushes hard when you punch the gas after turbo lag. Its a BMW that actually drives more like a Lexus than BMWs in the past. Overall it has moved to be more vanilla to please more people. It is bigger, heavier, softer yet still superb. It is honestly the perfect car for IMO, most people.

I'll wait to beat up the GS if necessary after I've driven it and see the specs and can come to a fair conclusion of it.

And my last point, if you buy an automatic F10 when a manual is available, I honestly don't want to hear it. Buy the manual, then you can say how much sportier the car is. If you buy an automatic, well yeah its sportier but its an automatic. Next thing we know BMW won't make manual F10s b/c people were so busy arguing how sporty an automatic BMW is, they never took the time to buy the damn manual.

This. Agreed completely.
Old 06-27-11, 09:03 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I was looking at these pics again last night and noticed...the rear wheels fit better than they normally do. The rear wheels are usually sunk in 1-1.5" in. Hmmmmmm....are they finally listening?

Old 06-27-11, 10:06 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Here's hoping the interior is way more interesting than the exterior
Old 06-27-11, 10:31 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
if you buy an automatic F10 when a manual is available, I honestly don't want to hear it. Buy the manual, then you can say how much sportier the car is. If you buy an automatic, well yeah its sportier but its an automatic. Next thing we know BMW won't make manual F10s b/c people were so busy arguing how sporty an automatic BMW is, they never took the time to buy the damn manual.

Manuals are dead. They offer inferior performance. None of the supercars have manuals. You'd be insane to stick a manual in a V8 sports sedan unless you have a penchant for high depreciation, and finding a way to make a quick car slower.

And the best paddle shifters are more fun too. Creates a video game dynamic.
Old 06-27-11, 10:51 AM
derfp2
Driver

How come no one is talking about the spy pics from the 25th???????
Old 06-27-11, 11:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
Manuals are dead. They offer inferior performance. None of the supercars have manuals. You'd be insane to stick a manual in a V8 sports sedan unless you have a penchant for high depreciation, and finding a way to make a quick car slower.

And the best paddle shifters are more fun too. Creates a video game dynamic.
you forgot about the gt3, gt3rs, gt2, gt2rs?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)