GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 07:55 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I just hope they don't screw up the 4GS like the 3GS. There was no reason to come out with the 300 and 430 and then switch to the 350 and 460 a year later. Why not just wait and do it right the first time.
You know you make a great point, I totally forgot about that and will probably wait the next year and get the next years model.
Old 05-20-11, 08:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I just hope they don't screw up the 4GS like the 3GS. There was no reason to come out with the 300 and 430 and then switch to the 350 and 460 a year later. Why not just wait and do it right the first time.
especially when in japan they started out with 350 directly, so it's not like the engine wasn't ready
Old 05-20-11, 02:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
^^^ Yeah, thats what I meant to say.

All of Toyota/Lexus 4 cylinder hybrids are using transverse mounted engine. The GS uses longitudinal engine configurations. You can't just stuff one of the existing 4 cylinder hybrid engines into it.
Why not? It is not a techanical challenge at all, just turn it

Guys can do it in their own garage, let alone Toyota corporation.

Old 05-21-11, 09:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RufRidn
Yes I got to sit inside. The interior was real nice, still liked the BMW better. They didnt mention the horsepower. They just wanted feedback on the styling of the exterior and interior of the gs compared to the others. I couldnt ask questions about the car because I was being interviewed by the focus group who has no info. It seemed like everyone in the group liked the new GS. Only negative was the tan interior.

As far as the focus group goes I got called asking if I was interested in doing a study on cars. They dont tell you what it is until you get there. I had signed up to do some market research studies a couple years ago and get calls occasionally to see if Im interested.

I have been looking at pics all day to give you guys an idea. The headlights do look like the pic dunnojack posted. The grill is somewhat like a ct200 and the tail lights looked kind of like the IS convertable. Shape was close to the lf-gh just gs sized.

Didnt hear anything about smartphones.
Hey did the GS you saw have horizontal slots like the CT/LS, RX or vertical slants like the current GS/IS?

Old 05-22-11, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

According to Motor Trend, the GS-F is a go for 2012, but details of the powerplant are unclear.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2011/05/1...-gs-f-in-2012/

Motor Trend is reporting that a Lexus GS-F version of the next-generation GS will be introduced some time in 2012:

Plans to drop the Lexus LFA’s 552-horsepower, 4.8-liter V-10 into the engine bay of the new Lexus GS-F are off, though the F variant is not. The LFA’s engine, we hear, would have cost “far more than half the price” of the GS-F, which we expect to launch about a year after the ’12 GS line’s late 2011 introduction. The most likely scenario is that the GS-F will get the IS-F’s thoroughly competent 416-horsepower, 5.0-liter V-8, instead, and provide an extra slab of meat to Lexus’ F performance lineup, which now consists only of the IS-F.
I’ve been told on more than one occasion that the LFA engine would add around $75,000 to the price of any car that used it, so it’s not all that surprising to find out that the rumored V10 GS-F is no more — and when you consider that with some tweaks (read: a power bump to 500hp), the 5.0L V8 engine in the IS-F will be more than capable of contending with the BMW M5 & Mercedes E63.

[Source: Motor Trend]
Old 05-22-11, 04:32 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what's so special about the v10 engine that it would cost 75k ?

AMG engines don't add that much cost.

is the LFA engine made of kryptonite ?
Old 05-22-11, 04:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dunnojack

I explained this a long time ago and MT is simply acknowledging what I said. Do you know how much a SLS engine costs? Alrighty then.

If the LFA is a multi-hundred million dollar project losing money and is only selling 500 units, logic would tell one that the engine must cost an arm and a leg to produce. One can simply google up or read in the LFA forum why the engine is so special and it should answer most questions. I can understand if one cannot understand if they don't understand engineering, that is entirely feasible much like they say "why is the LFA so much".

Old 05-22-11, 05:17 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMG replacement motors with labor can go for $40k-$80k depending on the car, and that is motors that is shared with more cars

So a engine that is shared with only 500 other cars and a small amount of GS-F, it can get that pricey

Last edited by xioix; 05-22-11 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 05:50 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Boy, you really dunno jack.

There is tons of great info in the LFA forums but you gotta sift for certain specifics.

And...AMG engines are a dime a dozen. Please make proper comparisons.

Last edited by G Star; 05-22-11 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 06:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

May be they should just mass produce the LFA's V10 to offset the R&D cost, and slap it in IS-F, GS-F, RX-F, LX-F, Sinenna-F, Camry-F, Corolla-F etc. weee!
Old 05-22-11, 06:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
May be they should just mass produce the LFA's V10 to offset the R&D cost, and slap it in IS-F, GS-F, RX-F, LX-F, Sinenna-F, Camry-F, Corolla-F etc. weee!
Then those same people would say "Lexus sucks, they put the same V-10 in every car, it isn't special, why does it cost so much"

Old 05-22-11, 06:49 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Then those same people would say "Lexus sucks, they put the same V-10 in every car, it isn't special, why does it cost so much"
Good call! May be that's why they are not doing it! Same V-10 in everycar = no soul
Old 05-22-11, 06:55 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STIG
Good call! May be that's why they are not doing it! Same V-10 in everycar = no soul
Soul??? Wtf is that?

According to most BMW drivers only their cars have it.
Old 05-22-11, 06:59 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Soul??? Wtf is that?

lol

Sam&Dave would disagree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j2mzeyGZ8Y

Old 05-23-11, 05:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Soul??? Wtf is that?

i thought soul is when she gets mad at you and leaves you... at side of the road, waiting for AAA?

Quick Reply: 4GS mega thread (UPDATED; preview drives, specs, more interior pics)