GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

How will my car ride with Intrax Spring, Stock Shocks,& 20" Wheels..

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-03, 04:59 PM
DroppedGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How will my car ride with Intrax Spring, Stock Shocks,& 20" Wheels..

How will my car ride with Intrax Spring, Stock Shocks,& 20" Wheels.. I just brought some 20s and I have alittle gap in my wheelbase.. I would like to know how will my car ride with Intrax Springs and the Stock Shocks with the 20s?

How much should it cost me to get the springs installed?

I would also like to know how will I install these Springs... Would I be able to install them myself? What should I look forward to when installing these Springs?

Will the Springs wear my Stock Shocks out faster, because its lowered? Is it a must to install Aftermarket shocks when you put on aftermarket springs?

One more question will my Car ride smoother with the Stock Shocks or with the KYBs? Im more of an City Driver and the roads aren't good in Philadelphia..

Thanks Alot!
Old 04-11-03, 05:52 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Dropped- damn that was alot of questions, I will try to answer them all:

1. My ride in the city is harsh, and I have KYBs, so with stock struts, it can only be worse

2. Figure about 200-250 for the spring install, and about 100-150 for a 4wheel alignment(THIS IS MANDATORY, dont try to save a few bucks and wear the ***** out of your new 20" tires)

3. Unless you have experience and tools (spring compressor, etc) I would leave this job to the pros

4. Intrax will wear your stock shocks out QUICK, and the ride will be rough.

I think you should wait until I find some decent struts for our cars, I have a thread called "Decent struts for 1st Gen", you can check it out. When I get some new info, I will post. If the streets of Philly are anything like the streets of Brooklyn, I would stay away from the Intrax until you can get some GOOD struts! Conversely, I think the KYBs will do just fine with your Eibachs!
Old 04-11-03, 08:11 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DroppedGS.... post a pic with your new wheels.. and let us see how big the gap is you have. DGot20's said you have Eibachs now is that true?
Old 04-12-03, 03:00 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the only thing I would add to DGOT20's reply is to stay away from InTRASH. I've owned their springs before (and had friends that have owned 'em) and the consensus is that they suck. They sack out very quickly...I would look into other springs. Maybe some JDM ones that can give you the extra lowering.

Of course, the other option is to go the coilover route so that you can determine how low (or how high) you want your car....and you don't have to worry about blowing out the shocks because coilovers come with correctly valved and matched shock and springs....
Old 04-12-03, 08:35 AM
DroppedGS
Driver

Originally posted by 007
DroppedGS.... post a pic with your new wheels.. and let us see how big the gap is you have. DGot20's said you have Eibachs now is that true?
Right now I don't have any aftermarket springs on my car...But I would think that that Eibach's 1.2 drop isn't going to be enough to fill that gap up.

Will the Eibach & KYB setup ride close to stock? Will the car handle corners better?
Old 04-12-03, 10:42 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Intrax

The Intrax w/ any shocks/struts will give you a rough ride. I had Intrax on my GS for a few months and I did not like the ride at all. They also did not lower the car significantly more than the Eibachs. Right now, I'm runnning Eibach springs w/ stock struts on 19s and the ride is very good. I don't know what the long-term is like with Intrax because the ride was rough enough that I decided I could not deal with them, but Manaray has posted before about problems with sagging as Intrax springs get older.

I think the self-installation that Dropped asked about is not a good idea unless you have done it before or know someone who has who can help you. My brother and my friend John did mine for me because I am inept and would rather drink beer or shoot hoops than wrench on my car.
Old 04-13-03, 02:00 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Intrax

Originally posted by link13
...for me because I am inept and would rather drink beer or shoot hoops than wrench on my car.
Hey, SOMEONE'S gotta do it! It might as well be you! Hehehehe...

I actually like to turn the wrench and bust a few knuckles here and there...builds like, character or something...but luckily, I have VERY, VERY experienced friends that help me out (and honestly do all the "major" stuff)....but if I had a hydraulic lift in my garage, I'd be doing all kinds of stuff to my car...or I'd end up killing myself...?