GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Crank Pulley Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-03, 07:03 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Broken?

Anyone here ever had their crank pulley to break? This is also called the Harmonic Ballancer, it connects to the crank and the drive belt rests on the pulley attached to it. Mine broke yesterday, luckily i was in the driveway. Apparently the pulley is pressed onto the harmonic balancer with a rubber seal between the two. The pulley fell off onto the platic undercarriage and put a big gash in my fan on the way down. Whats left is the rubber center.

Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Crank Pulley Broken?-pulley1.jpg  
Old 04-02-03, 07:05 PM
Lead Lap

Here's a pic of the part the fell off:
Attached Thumbnails Crank Pulley Broken?-pulley2.jpg  
Old 04-03-03, 12:00 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same here

I had the same happen to me.........

I was changing the water pump on mine and I needed to take off the timing belt. At the time the best idea seemed to be ;

We left as much of the old rubber on as we could,

We drilled between the groves on the outer case ( about 4 - 5mm hole ), in three oppsite points
inwards into the inside wheel ( the three screws are to keep the weigh even & balanced.

The holes now on the inside wheel we tapped - but we did not tap the hole on the outside wheel
( seeing as there must have been some reason for rubber to have been used in the first place,
we thought it was to give some movement between the two. )

So now what youre left with is, the outter wheel sits back on to the inner wheel. You screw small
screws through the holes on the outter wheel into the treaded holes on the inner wheel.

So now the screws give a small amount of movement, but still hold your outer wheel on.

thankfully all worked out well and it's still holding up
Old 04-03-03, 02:22 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
roolex: can you post a pic of your engine bay??
Old 04-03-03, 02:28 AM
Lead Lap

So you are saying that you put the pulley back on by drilling holes and holding it in place on the harmonic balancer with screws?

The pulley is pressed on.. i thought about taking it off, (i haven't yet, been driving the IS3) and since i have a press pressing the pulley back on. But i would like to replace the rubber in the middle, don't want to press it with the old rubber, which may be the reason it came off. I had to replace my right rear wheel bearing once and it had to be pressed in. I may avoid doing this by buying one at a salvage yard, but the best price i have gotten so far is $175, the dealer wants $299 new. I will be checking another source tmw, i really only want to pay about $50-$75 for this part. And i don't feel like pressing it on either just swaping them out. This part should have never broken, i never had this problem on my first motor and it lasted for 204,000km, This one now only has 54,000km .. Anyway, i think i am going to sell my GS this year, it will be hard cuz i love that car.
Old 04-15-03, 12:32 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Exclamation On second thoughts.........DON'T

Bad news, I take back what I said about drilling and tapping the pully.
At this very second I'm sitting in our shop waitting for a new one to be dropped off. Driving out the road the other day, brought it up to about 180k.... coming to a stop to turn, and just as I came to a full stop

! bang !

All the lights came on, on the dash - I lost my power steering. Got out looked under the engine, seen nothing to strange. Thought maybe that my power steering pump had exploded because it had been giving a lot of trouble. So I was only about three mile from my house so I thought the best thing to do would be to try and get it home started driving home doing about 20mph, Next thing...........

! bang !

Steem everywhere... rolled it in to a lane. Got out and looked at the engine, one of the top water pipe had just exploded. Then seeen that the pully which I had fixed before had just sheered all three studs and came flying off. I got a lift in to town got a new piece of piping and a container of water. Went back out to the car - changed the pipe refilled with water. Then began to drive it home watching the temp. as soon as it got to half way pulled in and let it cool back down. then continued to do the same again. It took me over four and half hours to get home. So I stripped it down and ordered the new pully.

So once again I stress the point do not drill and tap the pully

Wish Me Luck ! !
Old 04-15-03, 12:19 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, sorry RooLEx, that really sucks! I'm glad you made it home okay.
Old 04-16-03, 12:39 AM
Lead Lap

Default Re: On second thoughts.........DON'T

Originally posted by RooLex
Bad news, I take back what I said about drilling and tapping the pully.
At this very second I'm sitting in our shop waitting for a new one to be dropped off. Driving out the road the other day, brought it up to about 180k.... coming to a stop to turn, and just as I came to a full stop

! bang !

All the lights came on, on the dash - I lost my power steering. Got out looked under the engine, seen nothing to strange. Thought maybe that my power steering pump had exploded because it had been giving a lot of trouble. So I was only about three mile from my house so I thought the best thing to do would be to try and get it home started driving home doing about 20mph, Next thing...........

! bang !

Steem everywhere... rolled it in to a lane. Got out and looked at the engine, one of the top water pipe had just exploded. Then seeen that the pully which I had fixed before had just sheered all three studs and came flying off. I got a lift in to town got a new piece of piping and a container of water. Went back out to the car - changed the pipe refilled with water. Then began to drive it home watching the temp. as soon as it got to half way pulled in and let it cool back down. then continued to do the same again. It took me over four and half hours to get home. So I stripped it down and ordered the new pully.

So once again I stress the point do not drill and tap the pully

Wish Me Luck ! !
Good Luck... I had already threw out that idea cuz i figured that when the RPMs got up high enough it would break and tear up a lot of stuff on the way.. you got lucky actually.. The pulley could have gone straight ahead and destroyed the fan and radiator in the process. BTW... please tell me how much you paid for your new pulley and where you got it from?
Old 04-16-03, 09:29 PM
Seminole GS300
Pole Position

had the same problem with my 95 Mustang GT. Sucks to pay for a replacemet, especially if you don't work on your car yourself. Good luck guys.
Old 04-17-03, 12:13 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Thumbs up done

Hey lads, thanks for the support !!

Got a new one from "Toyota Ireland" It cost me €230 ( about the same in dollars ) inculding the new bolt - there would be very few of these cars over here so I wouldn't have got a used one. Thankfully all seems to be running fine. I hope it stays that way because the a big show on over here on Saturday and Sunday, and the car is in it, ( it's first ). Wish me luck !!

Did you get you're new pully yet 007 ??
Old 04-17-03, 10:01 PM
Lead Lap

Nope, been driving the IS300 and have the GS sitting the the garage "sick" I checked pricing here.. dealer wants $299 new and Salvage Yard in Cali wants $125 used. I will probably go the used route. Been too busy with finals and projects right now to be concerned. Good thing you're back in business.