GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

smelling gas need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 06:51 AM
Otmislife1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smelling gas need help

Can anyone tell me why when I drive my car for a couple of day. While driving my car just suddenly shuts off. When I try to start it back up I smell gas and smoke comes off the tail pipes any ideas on wht it might be. Could it be the fuel pump?
Old 02-01-15, 02:35 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What color is the smoke? Is is black soot-like? If so, your engine may be running "pig-rich" and receiving highly excessive amounts of fuel.

If the smoke color is white with a hint of bluish-grey, then it can be oil related(the smoke). In this case it still does not explain the gasoline smell you speak of.
Old 02-01-15, 05:55 PM
Otmislife1
Driver School Candidate

Default help

Originally Posted by kene
What color is the smoke? Is is black soot-like? If so, your engine may be running "pig-rich" and receiving highly excessive amounts of fuel.

If the smoke color is white with a hint of bluish-grey, then it can be oil related(the smoke). In this case it still does not explain the gasoline smell you speak of.
the smoke is white. what could it be about the oil?
Old 02-02-15, 07:45 AM
kene
Lead Lap

try to see if there any engine codes. Follow the instructions oneither of these links to find out where to place the paperclip/jumper wire (TE1 & E1) on the diagnostic plug in the engine bay.

http://www.troublecodes.net/lexus/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ght-codes.html

Then count the number of flashes to find out which codes you have.
Post them here, and more people may chime in with possibilities. Make sure to put the paperclip on only E1 and TE1. Or you may blow a fuse somewhere.
Old 02-02-15, 04:39 PM
Otmislife1
Driver School Candidate

try to see if there any engine codes. Follow the instructions oneither of these links to find out where to place the paperclip/jumper wire (TE1 & E1) on the diagnostic plug in the engine bay.

http://www.troublecodes.net/lexus/
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ght-codes.html

Then count the number of flashes to find out which codes you have.
Post them here, and more people may chime in with possibilities. Make sure to put the paperclip on only E1 and TE1. Or you may blow a fuse somewhere.
I'm getting from others that it could be the fuel pump is that true if so how can I be forsure
Old 02-02-15, 09:36 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Could be or you may need to change the fuel filter if it is the original one. I changed mine 3-4 years back and the fuel that leaked out was brownish in color. you can also use the search in the 2nd gen GS300 forums. There was a post a while back where a member cut his in half and took pictures. It was pretty darn bad on the inside.

I would still check to see if you have any underlying codes. some codes can exist without officially turning on the check engine light. It has happened to me before.
Old 02-03-15, 11:55 AM
Otmislife1
Driver School Candidate

Could be or you may need to change the fuel filter if it is the original one. I changed mine 3-4 years back and the fuel that leaked out was brownish in color. you can also use the search in the 2nd gen GS300 forums. There was a post a while back where a member cut his in half and took pictures. It was pretty darn bad on the inside.

I would still check to see if you have any underlying codes. some codes can exist without officially turning on the check engine light. It has happened to me before.
I changed the fuel pump before. What are some signs of it being the fuel pump
Old 02-26-15, 09:57 AM
MA70KinG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Otmislife1
Can anyone tell me why when I drive my car for a couple of day. While driving my car just suddenly shuts off. When I try to start it back up I smell gas and smoke comes off the tail pipes any ideas on wht it might be. Could it be the fuel pump?
Have you yried the basocs? Change plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, check timing is 10° btdc on idle with clean air filter on and jumped(instructions on hood), clean throttle body, and idle air control valve
Old 10-24-15, 10:52 PM
lecturer
Driver School Candidate

I have similar issues with my lexus rx330. The check engine light keeps blinking, the car shakes even when stationary with the engine on especially in traffic, and the car does not ride smoothly on the high way.

I took it to a mechanic workshop/servicing centre where it was suggested that it's engine spark plugs problem which I let them change all six. The air filter and adjacent parts were cleaned including the air flow meter. However, prior to the development of this "flashing check engine light" they have changed the passenger front shock absorberror, both shaft tubing protector, and the two steering locks (the thyroid, the previous day. The problem continues.

Today, I had the car scanned and got these codes:
C1223 (malfunctioning ABS)
C1246 (malfunctioning master cylinder pressure sensor)
P0304 (s1 and s2)

Please I need help for the interpretation of these results/code and how I will sort out these problems.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 10-25-15, 12:39 AM
Lexusonlly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Otmislife1
I had a similar problem on my 98 gs300 the gas tank was rusted every time I would start the car I smell gas check the tank and the smoke could be burning oil from too much oil.
Old 10-26-15, 12:11 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Lecturer, you may want to ask rhis question in the lexus RX forum area.
just click this link below and select which year your lexus rx330 is.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-models-9/

On a side note, are you in enugu? If so, how well is the rx doing? I personally know that is some tough terrain.

Last edited by kene; 10-26-15 at 12:15 AM.