Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

smelling gas need help

Old 02-01-15, 07:51 AM   #1
Otmislife1
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default smelling gas need help

Can anyone tell me why when I drive my car for a couple of day. While driving my car just suddenly shuts off. When I try to start it back up I smell gas and smoke comes off the tail pipes any ideas on wht it might be. Could it be the fuel pump?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Otmislife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 03:35 PM   #2
kene
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)

What color is the smoke? Is is black soot-like? If so, your engine may be running "pig-rich" and receiving highly excessive amounts of fuel.

If the smoke color is white with a hint of bluish-grey, then it can be oil related(the smoke). In this case it still does not explain the gasoline smell you speak of.
kene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 06:55 PM   #3
Otmislife1
Driver School Candidate

Default help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kene View Post
What color is the smoke? Is is black soot-like? If so, your engine may be running "pig-rich" and receiving highly excessive amounts of fuel.

If the smoke color is white with a hint of bluish-grey, then it can be oil related(the smoke). In this case it still does not explain the gasoline smell you speak of.
the smoke is white. what could it be about the oil?
Old 02-02-15, 08:45 AM   #4
kene
Lead Lap

try to see if there any engine codes. Follow the instructions oneither of these links to find out where to place the paperclip/jumper wire (TE1 & E1) on the diagnostic plug in the engine bay.

http://www.troublecodes.net/lexus/
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es30...ght-codes.html

Then count the number of flashes to find out which codes you have.
Post them here, and more people may chime in with possibilities. Make sure to put the paperclip on only E1 and TE1. Or you may blow a fuse somewhere.
Old 02-02-15, 05:39 PM   #5
Otmislife1
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
try to see if there any engine codes. Follow the instructions oneither of these links to find out where to place the paperclip/jumper wire (TE1 & E1) on the diagnostic plug in the engine bay.

http://www.troublecodes.net/lexus/
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es30...ght-codes.html

Then count the number of flashes to find out which codes you have.
Post them here, and more people may chime in with possibilities. Make sure to put the paperclip on only E1 and TE1. Or you may blow a fuse somewhere.
I'm getting from others that it could be the fuel pump is that true if so how can I be forsure
Old 02-02-15, 10:36 PM   #6
kene
Lead Lap

Could be or you may need to change the fuel filter if it is the original one. I changed mine 3-4 years back and the fuel that leaked out was brownish in color. you can also use the search in the 2nd gen GS300 forums. There was a post a while back where a member cut his in half and took pictures. It was pretty darn bad on the inside.

I would still check to see if you have any underlying codes. some codes can exist without officially turning on the check engine light. It has happened to me before.
Old 02-03-15, 12:55 PM   #7
Otmislife1
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Could be or you may need to change the fuel filter if it is the original one. I changed mine 3-4 years back and the fuel that leaked out was brownish in color. you can also use the search in the 2nd gen GS300 forums. There was a post a while back where a member cut his in half and took pictures. It was pretty darn bad on the inside.

I would still check to see if you have any underlying codes. some codes can exist without officially turning on the check engine light. It has happened to me before.
I changed the fuel pump before. What are some signs of it being the fuel pump
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #8
MA70KinG
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otmislife1 View Post
Can anyone tell me why when I drive my car for a couple of day. While driving my car just suddenly shuts off. When I try to start it back up I smell gas and smoke comes off the tail pipes any ideas on wht it might be. Could it be the fuel pump?
Have you yried the basocs? Change plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, check timing is 10 btdc on idle with clean air filter on and jumped(instructions on hood), clean throttle body, and idle air control valve
MA70KinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM