O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT POWER vs. OVERDRIVE

What do you guys think?
Old 03-10-03, 09:22 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overdrive OFF just means that the mighty 4-speed won't shift into 4th gear. Useful if you are towing something downhill, for example.

ECT power allegedly uses a more aggressive shifting pattern or something. All toyotas have it, even a U-HAUL truck I rented that was 20 years old. I leave ECT power on all the time, only because I really don't notice a difference. So ECT power it all the way!
Old 03-10-03, 04:12 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

same here with my 5spd, this thing needs all the help it can get!
Old 03-10-03, 05:50 PM
Wald GS

So what happens if you have overdrive and ECT POWER on at the same time??? All i know is that overdrive gives you more of a kick and you can feel it. ECT from what I learned is that if you have a soft foot it gives the car more power so you don't have to step as hard. BTW ECT POWER uses up more gas.
Old 03-10-03, 07:02 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

ECT and overdrive are 2 different things:

ECT is simply the shift mapping, it determines how long your car will stay in a certain gear, thus maximizing performance based on the revolutions your engine is turning, i.e. sport-stays in gears longer, more aggressive downshifts, better performance, regualar-shorter, lower rpm shifts, lazier to downshift, better fuel economy

Overdrive-simply determines whether your car uses its 4th or 5th gear (Our cars have 5, 95 and below have 4). If you keep it off, you actually get more "snappy" acceleration because your car is staying in a lower gear that has a lower drive ratio. The trade off is you cruise at a higher rpm, use more gas, and do more wear on the motor over time. Try this, the next time your on the highway doing 60-65 with your overdrive ON, just turn it OFF, and you will feel the car downshift, and the revs will increase by about 500 -750(or some # like that) rpms. if you punch the gas, after doing this, you will feel more 'snappy' acceleration.

BTW, I just punch it and wait for the car to downshift for itself, since it usually drops 2 gears (5-3) instead of one (5-4). I guess those Lexus guys know a thing or two about designing a tranny huh?
Old 03-10-03, 07:17 PM
Wald GS

You sure about ECT POWER being better on the fuel economy? I drive with everything off. I've never used OVER DRIVE. Am I hurting my car if I just have it on Normal mode?
Old 03-10-03, 08:13 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DTPstyle
You sure about ECT POWER being better on the fuel economy? I drive with everything off. I've never used OVER DRIVE. Am I hurting my car if I just have it on Normal mode?
Having the "ECT Power" button turned on USES more gas and is bad for fuel economy because the computer upshifts higher in the rpm range so more rpms are used, and hence, more gas is used. It also downshifts alot quicker. This would reduce fuel economy if the transmission is in a lower gear most of the time.

As far as overdrive or "OD", it should be on almost all the time. It lets the car cruise in its highest gear, which lowers the engine rpm, and hence, better fuel economy.

When I race on the freeway, I would turn OD off so I will be in the best gear for a freeway-power-run. I only use the ECT Power button on streets if I need my car to be more responsive, but I never use it on curves because my car gets unsettled if it abruptly downshifts in the middle of a long curve.
Old 03-10-03, 08:24 PM
Wald GS

Like I said before, would it hurt my engine if I drive on normal and nothing else? I thought overdrive strains your engine if you drive it on the street. When Jmai22 put his car in OD i felt the car wanting to go faster even at a lower speed. Advice as to when to use OD would be appreciated as I am pretty much confused as I have never used OD. thanks
Old 03-10-03, 08:36 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Grasshopper, You Must Close Your Eyes and Open your Tranny Mind!!

Imagine your car had a 5dp MANUAL instead of an auto, drivin on the highway and not using your OD, is like never shifting into FIFTH, your running at a higher RPM, using more gas and straining you engine more!! If you dont wanna use it around town (30-50 mphs, short distance) thats fine, but drive on the highway with it off, and your working against urself. Think about it, they would not have given you a 5th gear in 1996, only for you to NEVER use it!!

I'll get up with you guys Manana!

I SPEND WAAAYYYYYY TO MUCH TIME ON THIS DAMN BOARD!! See what happens when you move away for a promotion!!
Old 03-10-03, 10:08 PM
Wald GS

Thanks alot. This grasshopper will use OD the next time he hits the freeway....
Old 03-10-03, 11:06 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks alot. This grasshopper will use OD the next time he hits the freeway....
no you should never drive on the free way with OD OFF. thats pointless. on freeway drive with it ON. use OD when you are around town for that extra kick. on freeway ECT is the way to go.
Old 03-10-03, 11:26 PM
Wald GS

Yo John!! You are confusing me bro..""no you should never drive on the free way with OD OFF. thats pointless. on freeway drive with it ON. use OD when you are around town for that extra kick. on freeway ECT is the way to go.""

Ok so if I drive in the freeway with the OD why would i need the ECT POWER on at the same time.. I don't think I will be using it around town cause I don't need the extra kick.lol. As far as freeway travel, from now on im using OD. P>S you on, but you aim aint.
Old 03-10-03, 11:41 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Yo John!! You are confusing me bro..""no you should never drive on the free way with OD OFF. thats pointless. on freeway drive with it ON. use OD when you are around town for that extra kick. on freeway ECT is the way to go.""

Ok so if I drive in the freeway with the OD why would i need the ECT POWER on at the same time.. I don't think I will be using it around town cause I don't need the extra kick.lol. As far as freeway travel, from now on im using OD. P>S you on, but you aim aint.
OD and ECT two different things. well this is getting a little confusing. but to sum it all up. just leave OD on all the time. (orange lights off) and use ECTPOWER when you want to change lanes.
Old 03-11-03, 12:15 AM
Wald GS

hey John,

Ok now with all this in mind, when are you supposed to use NORMAL mode????
Old 03-11-03, 12:26 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Normal mode is if you just wanna save gas and drive regularly. only time i use ECT is when i race or if i'm on the freeway and want to switch lanes.

Quick Reply: ECT POWER vs. OVERDRIVE