GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Aftermarket Rear door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 08:28 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Rear door speakers

so i have aftermarket stereo, amp, and speakers. how would i run the wires from the rear door so that they dont get pinched by the door when i close it? anyone running aftermarket system care to give me some input here? i cant seem to get into where the factor wiring goes any suggestions???
also whats a good place to place the amplifier?
Old 12-17-14, 10:11 AM
onelt1
Pole Position

Run the wires through the B-pillar, where the seat belt attaches to. It is a bit of a pain to get through, but your wires wont get pinched and your wires will be hidden. As for amplifier mounting that would be all up to how you want the install to look. Clean installs involve a little bit more innovation to get the look you want.
Old 12-17-14, 08:35 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Got any pictures? that i can reference to further understand what you mean? cuz if im not mistaken ive tried there and havent managed to get it threew how to get in there
Old 12-17-14, 09:01 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

I do not have any pictures. If you remove the lower B-pillar trim, it just pops off, you will see a white plastic piece that covers the hole you need in, this pops out too. Behind is a blue or white plastic junction area, this unbolts from the outer B-pillar, 10 mm. make sure you have a magnet, cause the nuts will fall off if you aren't paying attention and there is no getting them back. In between the door, when its open, and the B-pillar is the rubber wire cover (boot), pop this out from the B-pillar. Inside the door the same boot can be pulled through until you can see all the wires. Push your speaker wire through this boot and up to the B-pillar. You might be able to get your wire through the connector, but if you can't you must drill a hole so your wire fits through. If don't want to drill a hole you can get some of those metal things that go at the end of the wires and then into the connectors and put those on the end of your speaker wire and plug it into an empty hole on your connector. This all does sound very confusing, but if you open everything back up you will see and then I hope you can figure everything else out. When I first installed my door speakers it took me about 2-3 hours for the fronts and about 8 hours for the rears. I recently redone my speaker wire and the whole process took me no longer than 6 hours. That time is removal and reinstallation.
Old 12-18-14, 03:01 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Here is some basic pictures. I didn't want to take my door panel off or remove my door speaker to show you the whole process, but I think you can figure it out. Its not really that hard.

B-pillar. remove this

White plastic piece behind B-pillar cover. Remove this too.

You will be left with this. There is a nut on the bottom as well as the top that you can see. Once removed you will be able to pull the wire and its connector through and unplug the connector. The metal behind this is what you may have to drill a hole in.

This is the boot. After removing this (from the B-pillar and the door) you will be able to pull this with wires and connector through the door. This is a little tricky, but just take your time and think everything out. Once through the door you can run your speaker wire through.
Old 12-18-14, 05:26 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Good pics man I was also curious when I read the initial post by you, I need to redo this on my car and those pics help clarify lots!
Old 12-18-14, 06:55 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

Thanks a bunch bro!! Very helpful i see the light now lol
Front doors took me like 2-3hours each very time consuming. It started raining when i finished one side, so i had to postpone it till the next day. Today i replaced the stock sub with a JL 10" took about 3 hours cuz i ended up tweaking the stock sub molding so the sub sits in rite. So far just have the front doors and sub installed. Im debating whether or not i need to upgrade my stock battery since i will be running two amps. I have a 4channel JL 360x4
for the doors and a 2channel Rockford Fosgate 550.2 for the sub also thinking about a capacitor but then again thats why im debating about the battery upgrade. Any input?

Last edited by Salcedo90; 12-18-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-19-14, 07:17 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Good pics man I was also curious when I read the initial post by you, I need to redo this on my car and those pics help clarify lots!
Glad I could help.
Old 12-19-14, 07:26 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Salcedo a capacitor would be a good idea especially if you plan on upgrading. I have two amps as well and don't have a problem with light dimming unless I turn my bass up all the way, but I can't help it though it sounds awesome. A dry cell battery and an upgraded alternator will also be a good investment. More current, more power out of your amps, which turns into happier you.
Old 12-28-14, 08:57 AM
Salcedo90
Driver

Awsome thanks for all the help bro currently jus gonna go with a Kinetics battery to replace the stock one then ill add a capacitor if necessary
Old 12-28-14, 06:13 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Sounds good. If you have any dimming of light check your alternator first. You could have the most powerful capacitor and still have dimming light because your alternator is to small and wont create enough current to handle your power needs.
Old 11-21-17, 02:05 PM
forcefed44
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old post but I have been searching on the forum regarding how to or where to run the power wire to the new amp through the firewall. Does anyone have an idea which location would be best??
Old 11-22-17, 08:23 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ran the wire through the hole on the drivers side fender (next to the battery) then ran it above the fender liner and back inside the cabin through the hole where the body harness goes into the cabin. I removed the drivers side kick panel, front and rear door sills along with the rear seat (upper and lower). Run the wire down the drivers side of the car once you get to the back seat area (Where the rear upper seat mounts) there is a hole with a grommet. Punch a hole through the grommet and you can put the power wire in. Now the power is in the trunk and you can route it how you like from there. I ran my signal wire pretty much the same way on the passenger side.

lol I hope some of that made sense.