GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

At my wits end! Plz Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-17, 04:22 PM
WellDOG79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At my wits end! Plz Help!

First of all i am not bashing the forum or the members, but I don't feel that members help newbies like myself very well unless you have alot of posts, pics, or comments on other post! With that said, I have a 93 GS300 with 112,000. Long story short, Heater valve or check valve hose popped on me while taking my dad from Milwaukee,WI to Indiana. Hose popped, we fixed it, and filled coolant and kept going. Keep in mind i never knew about the burping procedure, especially being away from home. Car over heated and broke down in North Chicago. Had to tow home. Replaced upper and by-hose hose in rear and my friend did coolant pressure test and HG was gone. Replaced head-gasket, Head gasket bolts, timing pump, valve cover gaskets, water pump bypass gaskets, spark plugs, cap and rotor(twice), wires, alternator rebuilt and battery replaced, and car runs rough and I have to constantly fill coolant every day or two. I've completed burping that i learned on this forum and also bought the spill-free funnel kit. Heat will work, and then car will over heat and will be low on coolant. Exhaust will sometimes come out white but smells like gas. I am at my wits end. If you have any ideas to help, I greatly appreciate otherwise, I will sell the car. I have lost 2 phone will attempting to repair the car so i am very frustrated. Once i get paid at the end of the month I will get another phone and post pics if anyone is near Milwaukee, WI and is interested in purchasing. I will not ship. Thank you all for reading and would appreciate any help! I really like this car and has great potential!
Old 11-27-17, 11:00 PM
supra247
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds to me like you either didnt change the HG correctly or the head was warped and no one checked it for starightness while doing the HG job. Either way the engine should be replaced or just sell the car if you are tight on funds.
The following users liked this post:
WellDOG79 (11-28-17)
Old 11-28-17, 02:42 AM
WellDOG79
Driver School Candidate

At supra247- That's what I was afraid of! My friends was suggesting finding another motor to put in car but they are so hard to find! Thanks for your input!
Old 11-28-17, 02:44 AM
WellDOG79
Driver School Candidate

At kitabel! You have a point!
Old 11-28-17, 01:06 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WellDOG79
First of all i am not bashing the forum or the members, but I don't feel that members help newbies like myself very well unless you have alot of posts, pics, or comments on other post!
I ignore many posts because the authors don't use proper English and its difficult to read or understand. These posts are often nonsense and I don't even bother anymore because people take offense when you ask them to write something meaningful. These posts also happen to often be from new members.

With that said, I have a 93 GS300 with 112,000.
112,000 what?

Long story short, Heater valve or check valve hose popped on me while taking my dad from Milwaukee,WI to Indiana. Hose popped, we fixed it, and filled coolant and kept going.
What does a hose pop mean? Did the hose split, crack or slip off? Was it a failure of the rubber hose, hose clamp or other?

Keep in mind i never knew about the burping procedure, especially being away from home. Car over heated and broke down in North Chicago. Had to tow home. Replaced upper and by-hose hose in rear and my friend did coolant pressure test and HG was gone.
What does any of this mean? Are you trying to tell us you overheated your car and blew a head gasket?

Replaced head-gasket, Head gasket bolts, timing pump, valve cover gaskets, water pump bypass gaskets, spark plugs, cap and rotor(twice), wires, alternator rebuilt and battery replaced, and car runs rough and I have to constantly fill coolant every day or two.
What is a timing pump? Seriously....

I've completed burping that i learned on this forum and also bought the spill-free funnel kit. Heat will work, and then car will over heat and will be low on coolant. Exhaust will sometimes come out white but smells like gas. I am at my wits end. If you have any ideas to help, I greatly appreciate otherwise, I will sell the car. I have lost 2 phone will attempting to repair the car so i am very frustrated. Once i get paid at the end of the month I will get another phone and post pics if anyone is near Milwaukee, WI and is interested in purchasing. I will not ship. Thank you all for reading and would appreciate any help! I really like this car and has great potential!
For sale threads belong in the for sale section. You need to follow the rules for selling a car.

If you over heated your car to the point that it blew a head gasket, you need to remove the cylinder head and have it checked for trueness at a machine shop. There's a good chance you warped the head trying to limp the car home. That could cause it to burn coolant, run poorly and overheat.
WellDOG79 (11-29-17)
Old 11-28-17, 06:55 PM
WellDOG79
Driver School Candidate

Well Mandrake! Thanks for your response! please show some respect, or don't comment! I need help! That's plain and simple as it is typed! Thank You all the same!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-28-17 at 07:15 PM. Reason: knock it off or do not post here.
Old 11-28-17, 06:58 PM
WellDOG79
Driver School Candidate

To those that have helpful suggestions, I did not take the head to get machined. If i do that would that help?I am not going to sell the car! Do i need to get the piston rings replaced? Thank you!
Old 11-29-17, 03:06 AM
WellDOG79
Driver School Candidate

Sorry Mandrake for blowing up. just tired when I get off work and very frustrated with car, but you do have very good points. And thank you DaveGS4 for editing my inappropriate comments! I meant timing belt and water pump. The hose had split because the person I bought it from had some kind of tube inserted. Very similar to the coolant flush tee, but it was straight. Never had any issues with car until this event.

Last edited by WellDOG79; 11-29-17 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Adding to post
Old 11-29-17, 01:06 PM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

You still have coolant leaking into the combution chamber, evidenced by; overheating, running rough, having to add coolant every day or two, and blowing white exhaust. If the coolant is not leaking externally, it's leaking internally.

The leak is most likely due to a warped head, cracked head, or cracked block. Or, faulty head gasket replacement.

There are a few ways to confirm this; leak down test, coolant system pressure test, block test, or oil test. Most Autozone stores can loan you the first three testers.

Leak down test: Probably the best way to confirm your issue. Remove all spark plugs and start with cylinder #1. Put #1 at TDC, screw in leak down hose, and pressurize cylinder. If you have a bad head gasket, warped head, cracked head/block, your most likely going to hear a hissing sound from the block, head, or out of the adjacent sparkplug hole and see a quick drop in pressure reading. In extreme cases, you might even have a hard time pressurizing the cylinder. Repeat process for all cylinders.

Coolant pressure system test: Using a coolant system pressure tester, pressurize the coolant system. Start engine and watch the guage as you rev the engine, if the pressure rises quickly, then that's a good indication you've got a leak.

Block Tester: The block tester measure the amount of carbon monoxide in your coolant system by sniffing the air in your coolant overflow tank using fluid that will turn colors when carbon monoxide is present. This is a very easy and quick test to perform

Oil test: Check the engine oil dipstick to see if coolant is present, your oil level will be higher than normal and will appear creamy/milky. Also look for a creamy/milky substance on the underside of your oil fill cap.

When the heater hose popped off when driving your Dad from WI to IN, it was most likely caused by excessive coolant system pressure caused by the blown HG (I assume you confirmed the HG was indeed blown when you replaced it) and also a warped/cracked head. If a blown HG is not addressed quickly, it could lead to warping or cracking the head. In the end, I think you'll find you have a warped/cracked head. You could have a cracked block, but that is not likely.
WellDOG79 (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 02:35 PM
WellDOG79
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Phinatic! Very detailed info!