GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

TT brake conversion questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 03:32 PM
CARSNBIKES
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT brake conversion questions?

Well, my stock calpiers in the front are frozen, it's time for me to bite the bullet and do it. can anyone give me a few quick tips on where to buy the parts, parts needed, and wheel size/offset needed? I need to budget this out because I'll need to save up for it. from right now I know that i'll need:
Calipers, pads, rotors, new brake shoes (Parking brake, worn), and anything else?

also im running 17' rims w/ unknown offset. will that clear the rotors?
Old 11-19-14, 02:15 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CARSNBIKES
Well, my stock calpiers in the front are frozen, it's time for me to bite the bullet and do it. can anyone give me a few quick tips on where to buy the parts, parts needed, and wheel size/offset needed? I need to budget this out because I'll need to save up for it. from right now I know that i'll need:
Calipers, pads, rotors, new brake shoes (Parking brake, worn), and anything else?

also im running 17' rims w/ unknown offset. will that clear the rotors?
Knowing you wheel offset is very important for the Supra Brake upgrade because the calipers take up a lot of space. If you dont know it then your best option may be to buy the calipers and test fit them to see if you wheels clear or if you will need a spacer. Add to you list a set of SS braid brake lines which will be about $100 for the set. Are your parking brake shoes damaged? If not then you shouldn't need new parking brake shoes. Now comes the tough part....finding the calipers!! I bought my front calipers online from Advance Auto for about $200 with core charge. Once I took the cores back to the store I got $70 back. I didn't but the rear calipers from the store because the were very expensive so I found a used set online. I bought a set of cross drilled and slotted rotors from 88 rotors for about $200. Before you install everything now is the time to paint or powder coat you calipers. Thats pretty much all you need. Install everything and bleed the system.
Old 11-20-14, 12:06 PM
CARSNBIKES
Rookie

The 17" rims I have now, ive pretty much decided to sell. Looking to get some 18x8.5/18x9.5 rays gramlights 57dr's. I'm told 18x8.5 +35 is flush at stock height, and im unsure if that will clear the tt calipers. I'd also be doing the drilled/slotted rotors with it.

So additional parts:
SS braided brake hose~100

Back to offset,
Do you guys think that the +38 offset in the front will clear the calipers?

On the rear the offsets offered are =12,22,38. Which of the three would put me closest?

I really appreciate all of the info.
Old 11-20-14, 12:09 PM
CARSNBIKES
Rookie

Also: Sorry about the slow responses, I'm doing 75+ hours a week between work/school which is soon to increase by about 5 more. I'll try to jump on as often as I can to check!
Old 11-20-14, 12:24 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Im running 18x8.5 +25 fronts and ive heard it clears TT brakes, a lot more info on supraforums about this topic as all the front wheels that will fit it, will fit ours.
Old 11-20-14, 12:36 PM
CARSNBIKES
Rookie

I'm also at stock height, i only plan to drop 2" at max.
Old 11-22-14, 01:27 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

to do the bare minimum needed in the supra TT swap, you need:
calipers
rotors
pads/shims.

you do not need to do any of the lines, if you don't need/want to. with that being said, the lines on the car, are 20+ years old, and should be replaced, I never replaced mine, but now that i'm not driving it in the winter (up to -35F where i live) I will be replacing the lines with SS soon.

the best place i found to have good product and fast/cheap shipping is rock auto. very awesome site to buy from, and the product is legit. and again, fast shipping, only took about 5 days to get up to Canada when i bought my rears off them.

i'm running a 18x8.5+31 wheel in the front, and fit by about 5mm clearance. the rears are 18x10.5 and have about 3/4" clearance before caliper.
Old 11-22-14, 01:30 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

also keep in mind, the wheel spoke will determine if it fits, and if it's concave or convex face, and the design,

on lancer Evo X front calipers, the stock rims are 18x8.5+38 offset, but i know for a fact, my rims that have a +31 offset, will not fit (even tho the "rules" of rims, state they should) because of how flat the back of the spokes are on my wheels. so it'll have to be a trial and error, based on using spacers.

also, my winter wheels were only suppose to take a 4mm spacer to fit (based off offset and width) but ended up using a 20mm bolt on spacer to make them fit