GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Yet another problem!

Old 10-24-14, 09:46 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Yes, thats why you have to leave the spark plugs in, it has to fill the galley under the throttle body and allow the water to overflow and run out of the spark plug galley out of the front/back

Your other option is to leave water out of the equation and try to wipe everything down with paper towels, maybe someone will have a suggestion for an electrical spray that you can clean your boots with?
Old 10-24-14, 10:12 AM
ComponY
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Yes, thats why you have to leave the spark plugs in, it has to fill the galley under the throttle body and allow the water to overflow and run out of the spark plug galley out of the front/back

Your other option is to leave water out of the equation and try to wipe everything down with paper towels, maybe someone will have a suggestion for an electrical spray that you can clean your boots with?
Water seems easier to be honest. Looks like I'll be doing that today!

Thank you very much! I'll be sure to come back with my results.
Old 10-24-14, 10:14 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Good luck! I had the same exact issue when changing out my spark plugs and getting a ton of coolant from the throttle body down into the galley
Old 10-24-14, 10:16 AM
ComponY
Driver

Good luck! I had the same exact issue when changing out my spark plugs and getting a ton of coolant from the throttle body down into the galley
& the same symptoms after, yeah? With the car idling really weird. Sometimes seeming like it's about to die, but doesn't?
Old 10-24-14, 02:11 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Yup, my car was missing on like 2 cylinders because of it and running like poopy
Old 10-27-14, 12:41 PM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go Joe! great stuff.

Hey on that link to the 7MGE. What exactly are those plugs that they used o-rings instead of the factory gaskets. He had them outlined with the yellow circles.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...lleys-Write-Up

Last edited by ClarkKent; 10-27-14 at 12:42 PM. Reason: link
Old 10-27-14, 01:24 PM
ComponY
Driver

Just did this ten minutes ago... Hopefully it works and hopefully I did it correctly... LOL

Old 10-27-14, 01:29 PM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

I would remove the carb and intake if I were you. You are going to be spending a lot of time getting all that water out.

But yeah this is what you need to do as I understood.
Old 10-27-14, 01:35 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by ClarkKent
I would remove the carb and intake if I were you. You are going to be spending a lot of time getting all that water out.

But yeah this is what you need to do as I understood.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna do it. I was thinking of sucking it out with something like a turkey baster hahahaha... Trying to be innovative here..
Old 10-27-14, 02:15 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Turkey baster sounds like a great idea for the majority of water!!!

After that, i would use a long flat head screw driver and shop rags to push the rag in the corner a little to soak up water, then pull it out.

A word of advice... Don't lose anything down in that hole. (including paper towels or rags)
Old 10-27-14, 02:32 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Originally Posted by ClarkKent
Way to go Joe! great stuff.

Hey on that link to the 7MGE. What exactly are those plugs that they used o-rings instead of the factory gaskets. He had them outlined with the yellow circles.
Clark,

These hold that spark plug boot cover in the center, and also serve to as a seal of some sort into the head. On the 2jz motors however, the cover is only held on by the inner valve cover bolts. If you remove these you can list that cover off the center of our motors. We also have plugs that go into our head but they are lower, and there is no reason you should touch them unless fully rebuilding the head.
Old 10-28-14, 01:46 AM
ComponY
Driver

Turkey baster sounds like a great idea for the majority of water!!!

After that, i would use a long flat head screw driver and shop rags to push the rag in the corner a little to soak up water, then pull it out.

A word of advice... Don't lose anything down in that hole. (including paper towels or rags)
The turkey baster worked like a god damn charm. Took 5 minutes to get like 90% of the water out. I then took a flat head, paper towels, and moved them around (packed it in layers so it was thicker). After that, I pushed some between the spark plugs and the holes they're in. Got most of it out. Letting it sit over night and checking again tomorrow.
Old 10-28-14, 09:42 AM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

I wouldn't expect it to fire up and run like new after all this. I mean just a tiny bit of water can make the spark jump. Don't worry, the heat from the engine will get the rest of it out after a couple of days.

I say this because I parked my car downhill during a major storm and water got down into the engine. After taking the plugs out that I could get to it still took a couple of days before she started purring again.

Thanks for the reply Joe!
Old 10-29-14, 09:32 AM
ComponY
Driver

Well, that didn't work. So now I'm going to try a new distributor cap/rotor and see how that goes.
Old 10-29-14, 02:59 PM
ComponY
Driver

Replaced the cap + rotor, still not doing it. I think there might be liquid on the bottom of the plugs or around them... Not sure what's going on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet another problem!