GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Yet another problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 12:22 PM
ComponY
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yet another problem!

So I changed my spark plugs, and wire set yesterday with a friend.

What I used:

NGK 6402 Spark Plug Ignition Wire Set Magnetic Core
6PC-NGK-Iridium-Spark-Plug-Set-OEM-UPGRADE-More-Power-Mileage-Longer-Lasting

Problem:

Now when I turn my car on, the idle sounds very weird. Sort of like it's about to die, and the engine is having a hard time running... It sorta goes like: vroom.... vroom..... vroom... The car even shakes when doing it.

I checked the distributor spots and they lined up perfectly. 1-6. Do I need a new distributor/cap to handle the power of the new plugs + wires?
Old 10-23-14, 12:54 PM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ComponY
The car even shakes when doing it.
This sounds like you have a wire on the wrong plug.
I checked the distributor spots and they lined up perfectly. 1-6.
Not sure what you mean here. Please explain.
Do I need a new distributor/cap to handle the power of the new plugs + wires?
Absolutely not. You might have a bad cap which is a good idea to replace if it has any wear.

How was the car running just before you shut her down to change the plugs?
Old 10-23-14, 01:00 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by ClarkKent
This sounds like you have a wire on the wrong plug.

Not sure what you mean here. Please explain.
Absolutely not. You might have a bad cap which is a good idea to replace if it has any wear.

How was the car running just before you shut her down to change the plugs?
I'll have to go ahead and check that now then. I'm not sure how they could have gotten mixed, but it's possible.

What I mean, is the first thing I checked was the wires going to the cap. 1-6. So I didn't look at the plug spots, I just looked at the wires going to the cap. Those lined up. It might be the wires going to the plugs that aren't lined up.

The car was completely fine before we changed the plugs.
Old 10-23-14, 01:06 PM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the wires are cut to length so I'm not sure how you could have mixed them up but it's possible. I've done it on a Jeep and it did the same thing. Bucking bronco. Doesn't hurt anything just kinda funny.

On the distributor cap there are numbers 1 through 6. They might be all covered with grime (30 year old car), so you might have to dust off the cap to read the numbers. Once you have the numbers just follow the wires starting at the #1 cylinder at the very front of the car.
Old 10-23-14, 01:15 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by ClarkKent
Well the wires are cut to length so I'm not sure how you could have mixed them up but it's possible. I've done it on a Jeep and it did the same thing. Bucking bronco. Doesn't hurt anything just kinda funny.

On the distributor cap there are numbers 1 through 6. They might be all covered with grime (30 year old car), so you might have to dust off the cap to read the numbers. Once you have the numbers just follow the wires starting at the #1 cylinder at the very front of the car.

Yeah, I checked that last night at the gas station. The numbers matched up on the distributor cap.
Old 10-23-14, 06:15 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Almost sounds to me like you might have gotten coolant in your spark plug boots
Old 10-23-14, 07:52 PM
ComponY
Driver

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Almost sounds to me like you might have gotten coolant in your spark plug boots
That really might be it. On the first start after the plug change, a HUGE cloud of white smoke came out the exhaust. I shut it off after two seconds and it looked like a firework went off under my car (smoke).

Left it for 5 minutes, turned it on again, and no smoke...

White clouds = coolant... LOL

What should I do?
Old 10-23-14, 08:16 PM
joewitafro
Racer

When I did my spark plug wires/boots I got coolant in my galley and its hard AF to get rid of it, I turned my car off, and let a hose run and fill up the spark plug galley and drain out trying to get as much of that oily **** out, then I used a LOT of paper towels to get all of the water i could. Water will boil off, coolant wont.
Old 10-23-14, 08:26 PM
ComponY
Driver

When I did my spark plug wires/boots I got coolant in my galley and its hard AF to get rid of it, I turned my car off, and let a hose run and fill up the spark plug galley and drain out trying to get as much of that oily **** out, then I used a LOT of paper towels to get all of the water i could. Water will boil off, coolant wont.
Isn't there a spray that you can put in there that dries really quick? Like break cleaner or something?
Old 10-23-14, 09:49 PM
joewitafro
Racer

I think brake cleaner eats rubber pretty aggressively, although it seems to me like it would work great..

I found this thread while googling as the 7m guys pretty much have the same issue.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...lleys-Write-Up.
Old 10-23-14, 10:06 PM
ComponY
Driver

I think brake cleaner eats rubber pretty aggressively, although it seems to me like it would work great..

I found this thread while googling as the 7m guys pretty much have the same issue.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...lleys-Write-Up.
I checked today and there's oil where the spark plugs are, what do you suggest I do. Just take the spark plugs out and throw a hose down there?
Old 10-23-14, 10:13 PM
joewitafro
Racer

No!! Take the spark plug boots off the spark plugs in the galley. Move them out of the way from under the throttle body, LEAVE the spark plugs in! you do not want to be filling your cylinders with water.

Instead, you will fill the galleys and the water will raise *because it has no where else to go*, and will push all the coolant and oil out of the center of the head.
Old 10-23-14, 10:17 PM
ComponY
Driver

No!! Take the spark plug boots off the spark plugs in the galley. Move them out of the way from under the throttle body, LEAVE the spark plugs in! you do not want to be filling your cylinders with water.

Instead, you will fill the galleys and the water will raise *because it has no where else to go*, and will push all the coolant and oil out of the center of the head.
Ok, so sorry for my ignorance, just don't want to **** anything up hardcore lol...

So take the wires off the spark plugs (under throttle body), and then from there, put a hose where the spark plugs are, correct?

Last edited by ComponY; 10-23-14 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-23-14, 11:26 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Yes, take the wires off the spark plugs (leave them on the distributor so you don't get water in it), and used a hose to fill the galley and allow the oil/coolant to be pushed out, i didn't "spray" at all, just slowly allowed water to fill and overflow. that is what I did and afterwords dry as much as you can, i used rags and a long screw driver to help push into /around the spark plugs to soak up water, let it sit and dry out, and try to prevent getting water on your electrical components.

Also make sure to clean all your spark plug wires (insides too) with paper towels to get the coolant out of them.

the last little droplets of water will boil off when you start your car after letting stuff dry (maybe give it a day if you have time and the weathers nice), and your surging/missing problems should go away when you have a solid clean connection on all 6 of your spark plugs with the boots (make sure to wipe the inside of the boots!)
Old 10-24-14, 12:14 AM
ComponY
Driver

Yes, take the wires off the spark plugs (leave them on the distributor so you don't get water in it), and used a hose to fill the galley and allow the oil/coolant to be pushed out, i didn't "spray" at all, just slowly allowed water to fill and overflow. that is what I did and afterwords dry as much as you can, i used rags and a long screw driver to help push into /around the spark plugs to soak up water, let it sit and dry out, and try to prevent getting water on your electrical components.

Also make sure to clean all your spark plug wires (insides too) with paper towels to get the coolant out of them.

the last little droplets of water will boil off when you start your car after letting stuff dry (maybe give it a day if you have time and the weathers nice), and your surging/missing problems should go away when you have a solid clean connection on all 6 of your spark plugs with the boots (make sure to wipe the inside of the boots!)

Will the water be coming out of the top of the area (right below throttle body), where the rubber sticks down that's on the boots? That seems like a lot of water haha.

Quick Reply: Yet another problem!