twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Another build to follow Whoot !
Old 10-29-14, 12:05 PM
thinwallet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! We decided to pull the engine and trans and tear them down and do a little refreshing inside. The transmission is grinding and whining (I think the oil pump is dead and clutch material is roaming free inside. Since our budget is very tight, it will be a simple cleaning inside and out.

This is a 24 Hours of Lemons build, so it'll see quite a lot of racing and many many hours at full steam! We start removing the drivetrain this week. The first race is in February at Barber Motorsports park if any nearby members want to come and support.

-Nick
Old 11-08-14, 07:05 AM
thinwallet
Driver School Candidate

The A340E that is in the car right now is not looking good. We pulled the valve body out and found massive amounts of metal shavings and sludge everywhere. I found a SC300 auto trans for $200 locally and wanted to see if it would bolt up. I assume they all use the A340E with the 2JZ GE?

Thanks
Old 11-08-14, 08:22 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Yeah they all use the A340E, i'm not so auto trans friendly but I do believe the sc300 and gs300 have the same model year trans from 93-96
Old 11-08-14, 08:29 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes the A340e from an SC will work you. You should also check out this link http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho.../267655?page=1

Its a pretty long thread but the information is absolutely amazing. It includes simple and cheap things you can do to improve the shifting and power handling capabilities of the a340e trans!! I plan to do these mods in the next few weeks!!
Old 11-10-14, 08:36 AM
thinwallet
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. I am picking up a used A340E out of a SC tomorrow. Hoping this fixes the whirring and grinding sounds I am getting.

This is turning into a slow build since my other vehicles needs a little love

Last edited by thinwallet; 11-10-14 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-10-14, 06:06 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Did you check out the thread I posted a link to? If so do you think you will try the shimming modification? I plan to try it in a few weeks after my head gasket is finished.
Old 11-13-14, 05:49 PM
thinwallet
Driver School Candidate

So I went full retard and took the front part of the motor off to clean up the oil leaks and reseal. I flush the coolant system with water, like I do on my 5.5L V8 and Toyota 4.7L. Now it's misfiring and won't idle.

Shimming the cable body isn't priority one.

No engine = no racing.
Old 11-13-14, 05:52 PM
thinwallet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Did you check out the thread I posted a link to? If so do you think you will try the shimming modification? I plan to try it in a few weeks after my head gasket is finished.

I did check it out. I do want to try it out after I get the current bug worked out.
Old 11-14-14, 04:59 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thinwallet
So I went full retard and took the front part of the motor off to clean up the oil leaks and reseal. I flush the coolant system with water, like I do on my 5.5L V8 and Toyota 4.7L. Now it's misfiring and won't idle.

Shimming the cable body isn't priority one.

No engine = no racing.
Did you get the timing belt set properly when you went back together?
Old 11-14-14, 06:03 AM
Neomoogle
Driver School Candidate

It'll be interesting to see the transformation this car goes through. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-14-14, 07:41 AM
thinwallet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Did you get the timing belt set properly when you went back together?
I didn't remove the TB. Just the serp belt, fan, PS pump and alternator. Didn't tough the top of the motor except the throttle body.
Old 11-14-14, 08:10 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you check if any water got into the spark plug valley/channel area. Years ago I flush/filled my radiator, and washed my motor after I just bought the car, and the seals on the spark plug cables for the motor were shot. water seeped into the spark plug channels and caused misfiring due to the spark shorting on the block. You may need to remove the throttle body to get full access to the spark plugs and their cables if I remember correctly.
Once I had the spark valley and spark plugs removed, I let them sit in the hot sun for a bit so all the water would evaporate.

I have a set of unused Denso? iridium plugs in boxes made for the turbo 2JZ. let me know if you need them. This is a budget build so I'll keep them cheap with shipping.

Last edited by kene; 11-14-14 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 09:11 AM
thinwallet
Driver School Candidate

Yep. I blew coolant all over the top of the motor. I will pull the plugs tonight and turn over the motor once to blow anything out of the cylinders. Good catch! I probably let 2 cups of water into the valley and didn't think anything of it. I'm running cheaper plugs right now and seems to be down on power. Let me see if your idea is whats wrong and I'll PM you.
Old 11-15-14, 10:04 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds good. let us know how it turned out.

Quick Reply: Our story, our build, our mistake...1994 GS 300