Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

Sleepypete's '96 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 05:48 PM
Sleepypete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleepypete's '96 GS300

I came across this 96 gs300 from talking to a man at a gas station who asked if my sc400 had a 2jz in it. I told him that it did not, and he proceeded to tell me about a man who had one at his shop. He gave me the name of the shop and sure enough the owner had a gs300 he was trying to sell.

We spoke for awhile and, after telling me he had so many people interested in it, I figured he would want an absurd amount. On the contrary he said he would take 400 because he was tired of people wanting to make payments or trades. So the next week I paid the man and brought her home.

After a couple days of going through it inside and out I have found so far:

Bad harmonic balancer, busted windshield, chewed fender, beaten out trunk lock, back windows do not work, clear coat is almost completely gone, ripped seats, the wires coming from the coil and the igniter have all been broken along with their plugs, and a few odds and ends like saggy headliner and warped panels inside.

At first glance it was very rough looking. The previous owner said that it was his mother's car so it was very well maintained before she parked it due to the bad harmonic balancer.

I have already started prepping for to get the harmonic balancer out by removing the fan and radiator.

I also removed the intake to see how much room the gs had to offer between the block and fender😊.

Also had to take a look under the cam gear cover tI check for and slack or play.

As far as I can see it all feels nice and tight, but I will be ordering a new belt as the one for the cams is dry rotting. Annnddd I would at least like to have a compression test done before putting everything back together.

The harmonic balancer I can do once it is here, but my first big question is;

What is the harness called and where can I get one

It plugs into the igniter and the intake but has been chewed up, and the plugs below the coil have rotted away. I have found the igniter and coil easy enough, but the wiring and plugs are a different story.

So that is where this build begins, thanks for any help!

Sleepypete
Old 03-10-18, 06:10 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Nice start Pete, whats your plans for the car? I have two in the same color. I think my second one is an identical clone to yours. does yours have traction control? If you have any questions feel free to hit me up.
Old 06-01-19, 03:59 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

any updates on this restoration? I've checked back a few times already and no new posts lol