GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Ball joint replacement issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 05:22 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ball joint replacement issue

Guys, so I've recently had my ball joints replaced and something very strange is happening. A week prior to have them replaced I had my oil changed, transmission fluid drained and refilled, had an alignment and the car inspected. During the inspection he told me my ball joints needed to be replaced. I told him I would order the parts and come back. I ordered the parts and came back exactly in a week. The mechanic said after the ball joints were installed he would realign the car. In between the time of the repair the car drove beautifully. There was no vibration at highway speeds; slight vibration during braking, but nothing harsh. I expected for the car to drive even better when the joints were replaced. Boy was I wrong! The steering is a lot stiffer. Normally when I turn the car, after the turn is made the wheel gradually straightens up on its own. Now, the wheel has to manually be straightened. Yesterday, while driving I heard the tires screeching as if they were locking up. I found out the alignment wasn't done due to the rack being down. Could this be caused b/c the car wasn't realigned after the repair? I'm going to get the car checked tomorrow (Saturday). I just wanted to check to see if anyone has any insight or has experienced something similar.
Old 08-08-14, 06:05 PM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyGS3
I found out the alignment wasn't done due to the rack being down. Could this be caused b/c the car wasn't realigned after the repair?

I'm not sure what you mean by the rack being down... But yeah you are definitely out of alignment. Bad!
Old 08-09-14, 03:45 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ClarkKent
I'm not sure what you mean by the rack being down... But yeah you are definitely out of alignment. Bad!
The machine they use to perform the alignment was not working at that time.
Old 08-20-14, 05:58 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Update:

The front toe was way off...my tires were basically pointed inward. Riding on it for the short amount of time that I did resulted in the tires losing some life. The tread will have to even out now that I have the alignment. I'm just glad by baby is back to normal.

Now I can move on to my next project - the audio!