GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Forced to sit her down

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-14, 05:41 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Forced to sit her down

I've had to sit my baby down because I can't pass emissions. The last thing is want is for Georgia police to tow my car and cause damage while doing it. I've had the car tested several times to no avail. The report is telling me my NOx PPM is too high. I have changed the EGR. I've had the intake manifold thoroughly cleaned; and I've also had the throttle body cleaned. Can anyone shed light on what is causing me to fail? I really hate leaving her in the garage.

The last test results in March told me my NOx PPM was reading 1467 and 848 is allowed. That's a huge disparity. If anyone has encountered this situation, please let me know what I need to fix.
Old 04-26-14, 06:11 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you have a bad catalytic converter if your NOx is that high. Also you can get a pass depending on how much you have spent on the repairs. Check out www.cleanairforce.com for all of the details.

Last edited by TRACKMKIII; 04-26-14 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 10:01 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

replace your cat, or make sure to get it REALLY hot before testing... AKA ride dat bish hard before you test it. I've also heard of people adding some octane booster in their gas tank to help pass.
Old 04-26-14, 10:14 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ Completely agree.

I'm in the same position as you. I consistently get the dreaded cel code 71 and will be forced to sit her down if I can't pass smog.
Old 04-27-14, 12:06 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

my car has 260k and that is how I passed with flying colors. Failed for idle my first try.
Old 04-27-14, 09:52 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad VA don't do emissions.
Old 04-27-14, 10:02 AM
Salcedo90
Driver

im sure you can find someone that will pass it for you but i understand most people wouldn't want to go that route, other than that what everyone else has mention
Old 04-27-14, 10:37 AM
bigjoeoso
Driver School Candidate

in cali its easy to find ppl to "pass" it ...lol
Old 04-27-14, 12:29 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A new catalytic converter can work wonders. Just make sure it is close enough (or exhaust diameter is right size) to get to hot and perform is function. The catalytic converter does not work well at all if it is not hot enough.

~10 years ago on my old 94 Toyota tercel (stock engine [3EE] was swapped to the high compression, larger injector, JDM 5efhe, with pacesetter headers), I passed emissions by having my buddies exhaust shop install an extra after market catalytic converter right after the down pipe (literally right under the engine). No parts were exchanged or removed.

The higher compression mixed with the pacesetter headers(free flowing, but cools exhaust gas) definitely did not help in passing smog.

The car ran like a champ, but had failed the smog test miserably 2-3 hours before the new catalytic install (labelled a "Gross Polluter" in Calif.) . Immediately after the new cat install, I had the retest done, and when the car passed the smog guy was shocked. He stated that it passed better than a brand new car.

Here is the link to the more in depth smog story post on the old tercel message board. The California smog test results are there with a before and after.
http://board.tercelonline.com/viewthread.php?tid=10623

The cost of the new magnaflow catalytic converter and labor to install was $80 at that time.

This year in Cali they are tightening the rules on smog, and shutting down the shops that hook people up with a "pass". Its getting harder to get a "pass".

I hope this helps you.

Last edited by kene; 04-29-14 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 03:54 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Thanks for the information !!! Very helpful
Old 05-02-14, 07:04 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

High NOx is from high temps. You need to check your ignition timing. It is most likely retarded causing a late burn. Also try running higher octane fuel. A cat will NOT fix this problem. A cat, o2 sensor etc is a common fix for high HC. If you are running regular (85,87) octane try mid grade or premium.
Old 05-06-14, 06:02 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
High NOx is from high temps. You need to check your ignition timing. It is most likely retarded causing a late burn. Also try running higher octane fuel. A cat will NOT fix this problem. A cat, o2 sensor etc is a common fix for high HC. If you are running regular (85,87) octane try mid grade or premium.
Since I've owned the car I've been running premium fuel. So I should check my ignition timing?
Old 05-06-14, 08:01 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Yes. That is most likely your issue. I've fixed many cars with this failure of emissions. Usually costs $20 or so instead of hundreds on cats and o2 sensors.
Old 05-07-14, 11:16 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
Yes. That is most likely your issue. I've fixed many cars with this failure of emissions. Usually costs $20 or so instead of hundreds on cats and o2 sensors.
Cool. My mechanic is coming over today to make the adjustments. Now if this doesn't resolve the issue, should I replace the CAT?
Old 05-07-14, 04:20 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

No. High NOx is not cat related. O2 sensor, fuel injectors or regulator, possibly internal engine damage (hot spots).

It is most likely incorrect timing or clogged injectors. If anyone has had a different experience please share. This is just what I have encountered and from general knowledge as a mechanic.

Quick Reply: Forced to sit her down