GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

DIY ?s......Am I being overcharged??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 12:00 PM
Lextra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY ?s......Am I being overcharged??

Just recently got my oil changed had the following services recommended:

Auto Tranny Fluid Flush $109.99
Coolant Flush $69.99
Power Steering Fluid $59.99
Fuel System $69.99

Can I do any of this myself? Are my pockets getting taxed? As always I wouldn't $pend before consulting the forum.
Old 03-25-14, 05:43 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

They definitely make the jobs easier... But everything can be done yourself if you have the ability to get under the car. For example:

The auto tranny flush is kind of expensive, you could jack the car up and put it on some stands and put a large pan under the transmission and then drain it. You could even go further if your competent and change out the filter. Refilling it is easy with a funnel.

Power steering flush isn't so hard either, but you will have to crack off a hydraulic line and dispose of the ATF that comes out, in the same container your transmission fluid was put in. Coolant flushes are easy because you only need to pop off your bottom radiator hose and it will drain your block and radiator.. then you have to fill and burp the system of any air. But the money saved you could replace any other parts which seem to need it.

Fuel system flushes i've never done unless I was changing injectors or adding a fuel pressure regulator. But, if you know what you are doing you can pull off the fuel line from the side of your motor and jump your diag. port to kick the fuel pump on and drain the system into gas cans. Not sure how worth while this is to do? But you could throw some fuel injector cleaner through your system.
Old 03-26-14, 07:40 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

A flush is different than a drain and fill. A real flush is pricey due to the fact they hook up a pump and actually pump fluid through whatever part until fresh fluid comes out which gets 90% or more of the old fluid out. A drain and fill only gets about half
Old 03-27-14, 08:00 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1) coolant, flush is simple - I would do myself.

2) fuel system flush - Instead of paying for flush, I would buy the correct fuel filter (double check because some are sold with incorrect hose fitting sizes..keep your receipt. I went through 3 different ones from autozone to online stores until I found the right one.), and pay the 70$ labor to someone to install it correctly. then afterwards buy some prestone octane booster, or one of the many octane boosters/ fuel cleaner additives that are sold on shelves and put it in your tank.

Just changing the dirty fuel filter alone (if it has not been done yet) will yield better results than a fuel system cleaning. when I took mine out, the fuel that spilled out of it was medium brownish in color. I was shocked with what I found. So I tried blowing air through the new filter vs old (wet, and tried it dried too) and there was a significant difference.

Auto tranny fluid flush is about right if you go to an experienced tranny repair shop. I paid 140$ for mine and it was well worth it. He also told me to come back in the next week, and he did it again (for free) to make sure he got all of the old fluid out. He even offered a 3rd time but I dint bother. I bought all the fluids.

Last edited by kene; 04-07-14 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-04-14, 06:07 PM
gsbs300
Driver

All you can do is drain and refill multiple times.all those flushes are done with machines that put each system under pressure and actually FLUSH everything out of there.everytime I get a new vehicle I have an initial flush with the machine and then just drain and refill everything myself.
Old 04-05-14, 07:31 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

I would have them do the transmission flush and the power steering flush. The coolant flush can be done at home. Just make sure to open the coolant bolt on the engine block as well as the radiator. The fuel system shouldn't have anything wrong with it, unless it has been sitting for a long time, like 2 years plus. You can do what kene said and buy some high power injector cleaner or octane booster. Mechanics are a little shady sometimes, I should know I am one. They are just selling you up. Meaning they recommend jobs, even if not needed, so the company can make more money.