GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Stereo rundown

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 05:39 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo rundown

I know I've had a few individuals ask me some stereo questions. I wanted to post this to make sure I was right.

I have the Pioneer option not the other (not sure here guys on the other option)
4" speaker front doors with cross over to
1" tweeters in front door (they look more like 5/8 or 7/8)
4" speaker rear door
12" factory subwoofer rear deck

Im getting gathered information on factory specs. Amp was 55 x 4 with 125 to the sub. Right?

5.25 can fit in the doors after modifications?

You can not use a harness on aftermarket stereos unless you retain factory settings (amp and CD changer) you have to hardwire?

Reason I'm asking I'm normally asked stereo questions where I used to do competitions and was MECP trained to do installation.
Old 02-02-14, 05:46 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe the sub is a 10 in.
Old 02-03-14, 01:15 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its 12 doors are 4"
Old 02-03-14, 04:43 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Ok thanks so far guys.
Old 02-17-14, 03:40 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Ok guys. Getting set to do my stereo upgrades. 4" components are hard to find. 5.25" is everywhere. These will fit with modifications right? AKA dremel a bigger hole out.
Old 02-17-14, 05:38 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Yes 5.25" will fit. I ran 5.25" components in front and 4" coax in rear. 4" coax are easy to find. You don't need seperates in back so just run them up front. I ran Focal all around with Excelon DVD in dash and jl 12w3 and 2-10w0 to round out the mid bass a bit. I've been doing car stereo competitions and was mecp certified and this is by far the best sounding stereo I've ever heard as far as clarity and volume.
Old 02-18-14, 02:53 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
Yes 5.25" will fit. I ran 5.25" components in front and 4" coax in rear. 4" coax are easy to find. You don't need seperates in back so just run them up front. I ran Focal all around with Excelon DVD in dash and jl 12w3 and 2-10w0 to round out the mid bass a bit. I've been doing car stereo competitions and was mecp certified and this is by far the best sounding stereo I've ever heard as far as clarity and volume.
Yet another thing we have in common bro. Lol I did Db drag for years. My highest spl was 149.6 in a 5 speed cressida (rare as hell and I miss her every day.) I ran Audiobahn flame q DVC 12's, 1800 peak 1000 rms at 2 ohms on a BOSS 2000 watt amp. About matched my ohm load and RMS. I ran a kicker 4 channel, 125x4 on my speakers. Memphis m class 4" components up front with my tweeters on the door sill with Memphis coaxial 5×7 in the rear.

My sq was awesome but when I wanted to thump I turned down the gain on the speakers and cranked the gain on the subs. Lol I made a custom panel under my mp3 player, since cressida are double din like us I ran a single din deck with 2 ***** and 2 switches under the deck. The ***** for the gain, one switch for the subwoofer amp, and one for my fog lights.
Old 02-18-14, 02:54 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Edit. Delete
Old 02-18-14, 02:55 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Im running HiFonics in the Lexus. Ive got to get a 4 channel amp for the speakers and take a weekend and run the RCAs and wiring.
Old 02-23-14, 08:43 PM
RustyDawwg
Driver School Candidate

You can run 6.5" door speakers if you cut cut your own baffles. Much more worth it if your going to remove stock speakers. It's a PITA as new speaker wire must be ran from your external amp but well worth it. I don't miss my stock HU one bit.
Old 02-24-14, 05:31 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

I got my new setup in. Kicker 4 channel, 100x4 amp. HiFonics 5.25 components up front, 4" HiFonics coaxial in back, and waiting on my alpine type S subwoofer. Until then I'm running a Memphis 10" in a ported box on a kicker 600×1 mono amp.
Old 03-03-14, 06:53 PM
Titten
Driver

Interesting thread. Subbed. Question: Do I need to run new wiring to the door speakers, or can I use the original wire already in there?
Old 03-03-14, 11:32 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

I rewired the factory enclosures for my aftermarket speakers and even hid my crossover inside the front "boxes" and I removed the stock trunk mount amplifier and replaced it with aftermarket and just reused the OE wiring. It is not ideal but mine sounds great. You're not going to push much power to s 4" or 5.25" anyway so the OE wire is plenty big enough and ran rather clever as to avoid interference.

If you need help with yours I can help you out or if you just want to see/hear mine.
Old 03-03-14, 11:36 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by houndawgbp
Yet another thing we have in common bro. Lol I did Db drag for years. My highest spl was 149.6 in a 5 speed cressida (rare as hell and I miss her every day.) I ran Audiobahn flame q DVC 12's, 1800 peak 1000 rms at 2 ohms on a BOSS 2000 watt amp. About matched my ohm load and RMS. I ran a kicker 4 channel, 125x4 on my speakers. Memphis m class 4" components up front with my tweeters on the door sill with Memphis coaxial 5×7 in the rear.

My sq was awesome but when I wanted to thump I turned down the gain on the speakers and cranked the gain on the subs. Lol I made a custom panel under my mp3 player, since cressida are double din like us I ran a single din deck with 2 ***** and 2 switches under the deck. The ***** for the gain, one switch for the subwoofer amp, and one for my fog lights.

150 is no joke. We hit 158 back in '98 with 1 cerwin Vega stroker 15 in a Ford probe. I'm too old for that stuff now lol. My stereo gets quieter as does my exhaust.
Old 03-04-14, 12:23 AM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
I rewired the factory enclosures for my aftermarket speakers and even hid my crossover inside the front "boxes" and I removed the stock trunk mount amplifier and replaced it with aftermarket and just reused the OE wiring. It is not ideal but mine sounds great. You're not going to push much power to s 4" or 5.25" anyway so the OE wire is plenty big enough and ran rather clever as to avoid interference.

If you need help with yours I can help you out or if you just want to see/hear mine.
I wish I we're able to do that but with my harness butchered I have to run new wiring.

I'm looking at a Alpine type S for replacing my factory sub on a HiFonics amp. My mind kept changing on the factory sub until I compared it. You don't even hear the subwoofer flex. Just clean, tight bass

Quick Reply: Stereo rundown