GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Dreams really do come true....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-14, 06:53 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ran VVME for years. German made but assembled in China to save money. Everyone thinks made in China till I researched them, really is German parts so they last longer. I've had the same ballasts for 6 years lol that set is in my wifes camry with new HID bulbs. The GS got new everything, ballasts and all. Lol

My bulbs for high beam is a company from texas called TopSpeed Performance. Same for my fogs.
Old 01-02-14, 09:18 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

I'm running morimoto hid in low beam and fogs and the silvania zxe high beam. All about the same color and very bright without blinding traffic. I've heard good things about morimoto and so far seem very well made.
Old 01-03-14, 04:24 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nixspeed
I've done the clear process many times and never had an issue. There is a guy on the sti forum that has a great writeup I think its for a 06 sti. Either way bake each unit for 12mins on 225° then carefully pull them apart, remove the orange part then if they are still warm rebake it for 6-8mins and press it back together real good. All you really need is a couple screwdrivers just take your time and I cleaned mine inside once it was apart.

Diodedynamics. com sells a switchback bulb so it'll match your headlight for the side marker then turns amber during turn signal. Looks great and legal.
I am going to do it very soon. There is a good write up on this website. I checked diode dynamics but I didn't see any applications for our generation. I only saw second gen and higher.
Old 01-03-14, 04:26 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Which brand of HIDs did you go with?
My Kit is VVME. I've heard good things about the brand.
Old 01-03-14, 01:34 PM
houndawgbp
Pole Position

I'm running morimoto hid in low beam and fogs and the silvania zxe high beam. All about the same color and very bright without blinding traffic. I've heard good things about morimoto and so far seem very well made.
I always had an issue with Sylvania. They would last a few months and thats it, that's what prompted my switch to TopSpeed Performance.
Old 01-03-14, 05:51 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Yeah they don't have the specific bulbs listed for 1gs but if you just look by bulb part number 1157, etc you'll find it. They are like $60 a pair.

I had problems with the cheaper Sylvania but I've been running the zxe for years now in my old GS, sti and now Aristo. All seem to last and be nice and bright. I may have to check out that other brand. Never hurts to try new things.
Old 01-04-14, 10:37 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Default Next Project

The next thing I'm going to do is paint my calipers. I think I want to paint them gold, but that could change. I'm in the process of cleaning them now. I'm not sure if this they are dirty of rusty. I'm currently using brake cleaner to try and pretty them up. Does anyone have any suggestions on what other products I could use? I want the paint to look good. I'm sure the cleaner the calipers are the better the turnout. I'm going to also change the rotors and brake pads all around. I'm going to put on a the Power Stop K1078. Cross and drilled rotors and Z16 ceramic pads. I'm unsure if I want to upgrade the brake lines to SS or not.
Attached Thumbnails Dreams really do come true....-photo-1-copy.jpg  
Old 01-04-14, 02:52 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Be careful with the brake cleaner and the rubber boots. It'll eat them up. Its rust and won't really come off. Only real way is to sand blast them but that's a lot of work. None of this paint will last much over a year so don't prep them to well. Get all the loose stuff off then brakeclean the oil off and paint them. If you use primer, paint and clear they will last longer. Just don't get any brake fluid or brake cleaner on after.

Also id do as lines as the OE rubber are probably shot anyway.
Old 01-04-14, 05:35 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You should have the calipers powder coated!! Its the best option for calipers!! You will have to pull the calipers apart so they can be sand blasted and powder coated but it looks like those calipers need to be rebuilt anyway so that should not be a problem. It cost me about $70 to have a pair calipers done and it was worth every penny!! I plan to do a set of Supra calipers for my GS. Nixspeed is right you should replace your OE brake lines while you are in there, I picked up a set from B2 Auto Designs for about $100 and they make a huge difference!! Here are some pics of the set I had done for my S14.

Old 01-04-14, 05:49 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Powder coating is the best option but kind of pricey for stock brakes. Maybe more likely on a bbk like you're doing. They do look much better for a lot longer that way.
Old 01-04-14, 05:56 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

[QUOTE=TRACKMKIII;8309872]You should have the calipers powder coated!! Its the best option for calipers!! You will have to pull the calipers apart so they can be sand blasted and powder coated but it looks like those calipers need to be rebuilt anyway so that should not be a problem. It cost me about $70 to have a pair calipers done and it was worth every penny!! I plan to do a set of Supra calipers for my GS. Nixspeed is right you should replace your OE brake lines while you are in there, I picked up a set from B2 Auto Designs for about $100 and they make a huge difference!! Here are some pics of the set I had done for my S14.

Those look really good!! Where did you get them done? Did you rebuild them yourself?
Old 01-04-14, 06:06 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Miller Powder Coating in Norcross. Yeah I rebuilt them.
Old 01-04-14, 06:08 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Powder coating is the best option but kind of pricey for stock brakes. Maybe more likely on a bbk like you're doing. They do look much better for a lot longer that way.
$70 is super cheap for what you get in return!!! It looks amazing in person!!!
Old 01-04-14, 06:26 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
$70 is super cheap for what you get in return!!! It looks amazing in person!!!
Silly question....but did you rebuild then powder coat? Or vice versa?
Old 01-04-14, 06:32 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Powder Coat then rebuild. You will have to pull the pistons and then take them to the powder coater. After you get them back you will rebuild them.

Quick Reply: Dreams really do come true....