GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Accelera Tires Stretched

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-14, 10:16 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly believe you are taking this way too personal. Also I was not the first one to reference the 12"/225 size. I had to reread the entire post just to figure out what set you off. I still have no clue why you are acting so childish about this. You have your opinion, several of us have an opposing opinion, that's that. If you want to stretch your tires and you feel safe doing it then go ahead. Maybe its just due to the fact most of us that oppose this are older maybe we are just too old school or maybe its due to the fact that we too did dumb things to our cars when we were younger and realized our mistakes and now just trying to pass on some knowledge. Enjoy your day.
Old 05-08-14, 09:02 AM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

"I'm commenting on 90% of the stretched setups I see which are 10-12" wide with 205-225 tire on them."

Anyone reading this would safely assume that you are saying, 205 was mounted in the 10" rim and 225 was mounted on the 12" rim. Which would make your the first to reference a 12"/225.

"Maybe its just due to the fact most of us that oppose this are older maybe we are just too old school or maybe its due to the fact that we too did dumb things to our cars when we were younger and realized our mistakes"

Cant teach old dogs new tricks...im sure when tire stretching first started it was highly unsafe. Times have changed and the way tire are made have changes. You cant compare tires from that era to tire coming out today. Yes there are tires that do not take stretching well and there are tires that do. Falken, a sponsor of my car has recommend me to run their 453's on my car since that tire can handel stretching well. I ask the OP what he thought of the tires. At that time I was looking for a beater set for my other rims. Then I get bombarded with all these old facts about stretching tires, how unsafe it is, my car wont brake in such a skinny tire and so on. I appreciate the comments. But like I said before, times have change and "some" manufacture do recommend "some" of their tires for stretching not extreme stretching. Extreme stretching is when you can see a fingers worth or more of your inner lip and barrel. I am not doubting your knowledge. All im trying to do is pass on some updated knowledge.
Have a nice day!
Old 05-08-14, 02:49 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

The original picture is extreme stretch. There is way too much rim showing. Wheels and tires are designed with a bead sealing area. When you can visually see the entire "sealing" area, its not safe. Tire manufacturing may allow the sidewall to flex more and be mounted in such a manner but unless you change the bead dealing area on both the wheel and the tire its not very safe. You are correct that a less extreme stretch is far safer and your setup which you refuse to comment about may be better than the original picture here, its up to you. If you are such a pro at tire stretching why not share some appropriate sizing and tire make/model that are recommended. Feel free to post facts instead of just condemning everything I say. You continue to insist I am wrong and talk nonsense without providing facts.
Old 05-08-14, 04:10 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

Wow! I sorry, I must be talking to an idiot here. Do you even know the size of a bead seat on a rim? You must have xray vison to be able see the entire seat. Tell me this. If the bead on a tire is not seated on the rim, how does it retain air? Osmosis?? Obviously you dont know much when it comes to tire stretching. But rather think immediately on how unsafe it is, how small your tire patch will be and how your car wont stop like an OE car. I agreed with a lot of your comments, but refuse to see that most of them do not apply. Even when I clearly say they dont apply to me. You also beat around the bush when I asked you, if anyone running a tire smaller than a 255 is gonna have poor braking characteristics. All you are doing is hiding from the fact that some of the thing you been say makes no sense.
Not sure what your reading comprehension level is at. But if you read my very first post, I state my setup. Also if you read my last post, I state a tire manufacturer and model number. If you need me to state what size im running...Then you sir are wasting my time. A child can figure all these things out.
I must be dealing with the "Ultimate One Upper". All your doing is throwing out random BS that is untrue about the topic. I would tell you about my setup. But, you said you dont care. You'll most likely point out all the stereotypical negatives about and talk about how much better your car is than mine. Ive stated a lot of facts. You just disagree to see them. Because your facts are 17 years old. I see this going nowhere.
Since im sensing a lot of anger from you, which I think is funny. Trying to have a reasonable conversation with a person like you will get nowhere.
Feel free to comment back, which I know you will. But I will not be wasting my time with you anymore.

I hope a moderator closes this thead.
Old 05-08-14, 05:31 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

You say 20x12 but no mention of tire specs, width and sidewall. Any person with vision can see the bead seating surface designed into every wheel and tire. This is the area in which it is designed to seat and seal. This does not mean when idiots misuse them that they won't seat in a different and unsafe area. My experience base is not 17years old, its accumulated over 17 years which includes up to date and current standards and practices. I'm not a one upper as you claim. You say your car is 3gs thus brakes better than mine, all I said was it does not brake better as I have some of the largest and best brakes available as well as good tire/wheel package thus reassuring my statement. I know you hope someone stops this as you hope to get the last word and tell everyone how you are right.

You have not mentioned facts. You mentioned how falken (one of my least favorite and poorly made tires) suggested you run said model for stretch. Is this the only tire that you recommend for stretch fitments or are there others? Also given your expertise on the matter why not share what you feel are appropriate width combos to stretch safely. I'm sure others are reading this and could use positive info instead of just spewing hate.

Last edited by Nixspeed; 05-08-14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 10:35 AM
rocky5
Driver

I've been running mild stretch tires on some of my builds (different cars) for years and never had a tire failure. The bead sit the very exact same way. Anyone who says it's unsafe here's something to think about. Professional D1 drifters run stretch tires. This is a Motorsport where if a part takes the most abuse its the tires. Sliding a car at an apex at high speeds while the tires are subject to extreme punishment yet rarely they experience a tire issue.