93 gs300 overheating! Plz help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 05:33 PM
bxdanny91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 93 gs300 overheating! Plz help

Hey guys,

Hopefully anyone out there can help me with this issue. So the other day, I was pulling out of my driveway when i noticed that my car was overheating because the needle kept going up without stopping. Quickly turned it off and noticed a leak of coolant due to the lower hose being out of place. Got it clamped back on, new coolant added in radiator and my car is still overheating only after a few hours. I also noticed my car was letting white smoke out of the exhaust pipes shortly after idle time. My car has been guzzling all the anitifreeze i directly put in the radiator. My coolant tank and my radiator are not flowing together so the antifreeze in the coolant is just sitting there and not flowing to the radiator as it should. I honestly dont know what to do and mechanics have been telling me different stories as to replacing the radiator, water pump, and blown head gaskets. Hoping to see if anyone can help me with this problem.

Thanks,

Lexus Fam
Old 05-12-13, 06:32 PM
Salcedo90
Driver

i would say start by checking your coolant system for leaks and everything the mechanics are saying is possibly true but im sure there juss taking a stab at it
anywho i did notice you mentioned its guzzling the coolant if ur constantly having to put more coolant chances are its a leak in your system
i also noticed you said its lettin out white smoke is that along with moisture cuz if soo then seems like a blown head gasket
Old 05-12-13, 07:07 PM
bxdanny91
Driver School Candidate

yea theres no leaks other than the one i fixed...might have to replace the whole coolant tank and have it flow with the radiator so i wouldnt have to fill up the radiator manually. as for replacing the head gaskets, would u recommend any kits in particular and how much will it go for?
Old 05-13-13, 08:24 AM
Salcedo90
Driver

i would say leave that to a shop unless you have the tools for it
but yea you should check if any water is getting into your engine block take off the cover and see if there is whit gunky stuff present if soo thats your coolant mixing with the engine oil which in most cases happens when your car keeps over heating and you have no leaks in the system
Old 05-27-13, 09:48 AM
Titten
Driver

Originally Posted by bxdanny91
yea theres no leaks other than the one i fixed...might have to replace the whole coolant tank and have it flow with the radiator so i wouldnt have to fill up the radiator manually. as for replacing the head gaskets, would u recommend any kits in particular and how much will it go for?
Why would you need to replace the coolant tank (bottle)? That'll do no good at all. BTW, low coolant is probably what kills most old(er) cars. I check my coolant level at least once a week. Inside the radiator itself, not in the overflow bottle. I check the engine, PS and tranny oil at the same time, just to be sure. I think you need to do a compression check and hope your compression number are fairly even. But going by white smoke after overheating, I think your head gasket has gone kaput. Good luck.
Old 05-27-13, 01:35 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

I second the head gasket. Toyota is notorious for hg failure. You always have to let them warm up a bit before throttling them hard as it'll just push your gasket out. Especially on boosted cars.
Old 05-27-13, 07:36 PM
felixman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bxdanny91
Hey guys,

Hopefully anyone out there can help me with this issue. So the other day, I was pulling out of my driveway when i noticed that my car was overheating because the needle kept going up without stopping. Quickly turned it off and noticed a leak of coolant due to the lower hose being out of place. Got it clamped back on, new coolant added in radiator and my car is still overheating only after a few hours. I also noticed my car was letting white smoke out of the exhaust pipes shortly after idle time. My car has been guzzling all the anitifreeze i directly put in the radiator. My coolant tank and my radiator are not flowing together so the antifreeze in the coolant is just sitting there and not flowing to the radiator as it should. I honestly dont know what to do and mechanics have been telling me different stories as to replacing the radiator, water pump, and blown head gaskets. Hoping to see if anyone can help me with this problem.

Thanks,

Lexus Fam

I had the same problem, but it was the valve cover gasket. Check that out.
Old 05-27-13, 08:41 PM
Nixspeed
Lead Lap

The valve cover gasket has nothing to do with coolant. You could run your car with out a valve cover at all and it'll fun fine and not over heat. It'll just spray oil around.