Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap

Old 12-13-12, 09:57 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap

I've been wanting a toyota inline six for a while ever since I sold my mk3 supra, but I always disliked the small backseats. Looked into getting an SC but it never worked out, and here I am with a decent car. I found a 1993 with a bad trans for 900 in Seattle, ended up picking it up for $750 because of some minor things, could use a front bumper, drivers front fender, and paint job. Runs great though with 215k on it. Water in trunk, just replaced the tail light on it.

Here's a photo after being washed: You can see the antenna mast also wont lower completely

As far as the parts I've collected.. I picked up this:

I've also picked up:
mk3 supra aisin clutch master cylinder and slave
driftmotion SS braided clutch line
mk3 clutch pedal assembly
mk3 ebrake assembly
toyota reman mk3 clutch disk/pressure plate/pilot + throwout bearing
ARP flywheel bolts, driftmotion PP bolts, shifter bushings
mk3 r154 driveshaft
picked up a free toyota battery from my bro and a new radiator cap..

Motor runs great, and almost everything works inside the car. Left rear speaker doesn't work, but the interior is in okay condition with some rips in the leather seats and carpet which could use a wash.
The motor is rather clean, and after the manual transmission swap is done and I sell my other car, I plan on freshening up the motor with new bearings and rings, custom long runner front facing intake manifold using Ross machine D plenum, GTE valve covers, t4 with a Borg Warner 62 or 66 mm, VVTI coil packs, and an Aristo ECU which I've already found.

I just finished up finals on Wednesday and plan to have the transmission swap done and driving around by Christmas, I will continue to update this thread and hopefully confirm a few things for this swap like using a two piece drive shaft and soarer shifter lengths in a gs300, along with supra transmission mount and clutch pedal mounting.

Last edited by joewitafro; 03-08-18 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-14-12, 05:58 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice Find! I've seen rougher GSs going for 3-4K. That should be a great project, I'm just starting the same with my '95 SC 300, hope everything goes smooth. After the SC, matbe my GS will get the same fun. My GS has fewer miles (101K), but I had to pay a fortune for it back in2007.

Good luck, and keep us up-to-date -
Old 12-22-12, 09:29 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This the GS that was on craigslist in the southend for a while ?
Seen a few recently.
Old 12-23-12, 01:21 AM
joewitafro
Racer

It was in lynnwood I believe.

Anyways, tons of progress.. and I have a lot of photos but havent really had the time to piece something together yet in the form of an educated post But, the transmission is IN... and using stock soarer shifter pieces. It misses the dash by a bit but some cutting is required..

Got the car in the shop the first day, center console out, lower dash panel out, auto transmission out along with the exhaust and drive shaft, also tore out the trunk interior investigating a bad leak, and removed my amp.

Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap-ojyqqjv.jpg

flywheel with ARP's:
Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap-wz3rls7.jpg

First gear:
Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap-sjburxe.jpg

bolted up using the stock auto cross member reversed. Fire wall had to be massaged on both sides around the main housing in the back
rear shot:
Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap-i0xbzc1.jpg

More later! Probably going to spend the next bit with family for the holidays, but the floor ebrake is disconnected and out of the car, planning to use it alongside a mk3 clutch and weld them together.
Last of all.. I have the gs300 driveshaft out and the R154 driveshaft.. Anyone connect these together before? the gs300 isnt flanged at the carrier bearing but the mk3 supra is. Would love some input, but haven't started taking them apart quite yet, only been in the shop two days.

Last edited by joewitafro; 03-08-18 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-23-12, 10:17 PM
joewitafro
Racer

The drive shafts wont mate together, so it looks like something custom will have to be done.
Old 12-23-12, 10:32 PM
SCKnight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for doing this man. Ill need all the help I can get when I swap mine.
Old 12-24-12, 07:23 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Where you located ? I'm up in Bothell/Lynnwood border.
If you need any driveline flanges from an aristo auto trans or driveline let me know.
I have some parts that came with my swap that I'm not using.
Old 12-24-12, 10:54 AM
joewitafro
Racer

I'm down in Vancouver near Portland, OR. Could you show a picture of your aristo driveline? Currently the stock gs300 has a threaded collar infront of the carrier bearing, and a u joint after ( with the carrier bearing sitting on this input shaft as well..) Whereas the R154 has a 4 bolt flange after the carrier bearing and has a female shaft coming out of the front drive shaft to fit that 4 bolt flange.

I'm not sure if I should just have the R154 front yolk welded on the stock two piece driveline, or go for a 1 piece steel.
Old 12-25-12, 07:53 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joewitafro
I'm down in Vancouver near Portland, OR. Could you show a picture of your aristo driveline? Currently the stock gs300 has a threaded collar infront of the carrier bearing, and a u joint after ( with the carrier bearing sitting on this input shaft as well..) Whereas the R154 has a 4 bolt flange after the carrier bearing and has a female shaft coming out of the front drive shaft to fit that 4 bolt flange.

I'm not sure if I should just have the R154 front yolk welded on the stock two piece driveline, or go for a 1 piece steel.
Im sure some of the other conversion guys will chime in. I believe there are parts and pieces that will allow a near pnp connection. The aristo d-line is not the typical 4 bolt yota flanges like the trucks. Its also the wacky spoke design like the lexus's.

If you do end up doing a custom line, lmk how much you end up paying.
I installed a 4L80e and im just about to the point where ill need a line made.
I can use the standary 1350 spicer slip yoke up front but ill either need to fab an adapter to the GS diff, or have the end welded on, which would eliminate the ability to use a ready made alum shaft from a truck or vette.
Old 12-27-12, 09:36 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Well... I just had to pick up a drift motion differential flange adapter from the lexus 3 bolt to a 1350 ujoint 4 bolt.

Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap-0r1il.jpg

Going to have a 1 piece driveshaft made next week. Will start to update then
Old 12-28-12, 07:57 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

How much did you pay for the adapter ? I was just looking at different ones on google images yesterday to see if I can make one somehow....
Old 12-28-12, 02:19 PM
joewitafro
Racer

$150 + 15.50 for shipping. I can most likely get them replicated for cheaper by my friend if you're interested. I just need to import it into solid works or something.
The following users liked this post:
Shades7 (05-24-20)
Old 12-29-12, 02:22 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

your not goign to use a shifter extension at all? that looks like it's in an awkward position, no?
Old 12-29-12, 03:06 PM
joewitafro
Racer

That shifter is in first gear in the pictures, and its a 2" swan neck shifter from an internally shifted early model Soarer/chaser R154. The housing itself is moved about an inch, so I would say the "total" extension is 3" in comparison to the mk3 supra. For me this isn't a bad position, but for others they might want to do a 4.5-6 inch extension.
The following users liked this post:
Shades7 (05-24-20)
Old 12-29-12, 06:41 PM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joewitafro
That shifter is in first gear in the pictures, and its a 2" swan neck shifter from an internally shifted early model Soarer/chaser R154. The housing itself is moved about an inch, so I would say the "total" extension is 3" in comparison to the mk3 supra. For me this isn't a bad position, but for others they might want to do a 4.5-6 inch extension.
I feel like that would look and be a lot better. i'm gonna say it'd be like 4 inches i'm gonna have to try this, did you have a shop extend the shifter and housing or did you do it yourself?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap