Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1GS owner vehicles

Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 07:59 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Our highways are packed too but out in the country like this, sometimes you get lucky and don't get stuck behind slow people the entire time. Luckily I was able to pass them quickly and easily :P
Old 07-31-13, 02:01 PM
image976
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool thanks for fixing that....nice vid! that road looked like fun! haha
Old 10-31-13, 12:31 PM
myaristo95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u didn't have to use a 1jz bellhousing?
Old 10-31-13, 06:50 PM
joewitafro
Racer

The transmission came from a Soarer (1jzgte R154 lexus Sc300 equivalent). So the bellhousing was already there, along with the shifter housing extension. But I used supra R154 clutch components cause they are the same (flywheel, clutch disk, slave cylinder, pressure plate).
Old 11-20-13, 12:50 PM
Boosted1st
Rookie

Originally Posted by joewitafro
The transmission came from a Soarer (1jzgte R154 lexus Sc300 equivalent). So the bellhousing was already there, along with the shifter housing extension. But I used supra R154 clutch components cause they are the same (flywheel, clutch disk, slave cylinder, pressure plate).
Nice swap... This is next on my list. Are you still running around in this...driving my 2JZ Swapped 94 in lynnhood... Sean is the only onther guy I know with a 1st Gen up here, I seem to be the only boosted one... Get a hairdryer on that thing...I can help, if you can help with the Manual swap...
Still have the Supra's in the Garage? Have a Gen 3 myself...dont drive it anymore though, paint is HORRID!
Old 11-20-13, 06:42 PM
joewitafro
Racer

My brother still has all the supra's in the garage waiting to be completed some day, but he has a baby on the way so I foresee his projects taking another few years!!

I have been daily driving mine for the entire year now, my shift boot got eaten up because I didn't make the hole big enough for my shifter on the left side to account for vibration. Engine has been going strong as an NA with 4.10 gearing and a 5 speed though! I red line it to 6500 almost every day. I really need an LSD but no $$$ yet. I want to do a full 2jzgte jap swap into it so I can start with something low mileage and keep my bottom end as a spare which can be built in the future, I am thinking after summer I will be able to have enough to get the motor swap and LSD.

And as far as your 5 speed swap, I would be glad to help! ... I am pretty familiar with all the parts we will need, and know what will have to be done... If you gathered all the correct parts it could be done within a week in a warm shop!
Old 02-05-14, 10:08 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Just ordered a tow hitch for my lexus I can't wait to be able to hook up a little trailer and tow my quad to the dunes in my lex :P
Old 02-10-14, 07:33 PM
14GS350F
Driver School Candidate

cool project!
Old 02-10-14, 09:14 PM
joewitafro
Racer

thank you!
Old 06-16-14, 10:46 PM
joewitafro
Racer

A little more updates... My motor started rod knocking a month ago and I haven't had a chance to really do anything yet. I have been researching my options and finding quotes to see if its cheap enough, or worth rebuilding my 2jzge. I wanted to do a full rebuild and have it done correctly so I could turbo the car in the future and be able to have something that's reliable for the next ten years. Quotes ranged from 3000-4500+ just for an oem rebuild on the head and bottom end with me doing all the labor for dis-assembly and reassembly.

After considering my options for quite some time I decided I was going to do an aristo motor swap and keep it with the stock twin turbo's. I wasn't able to get my car into our shop right away so it has been sitting in my driveway not taken apart. This has allowed me to think a lot more, and after searching daily for motors that come up on ebay and the internet I decided to look into a VVTI swap. Previous misconceptions have always led me to believe that the twin turbo vvti motors had thinner smaller rods than their non-vvti counterparts but after more research it seems I was wrong. Seems the rods, crank and pistons are identical for all 2jzgte motors 1993-2004 and the smaller rods are only on 2jzge vvti motors.

So today I ordered a 1998-2000 toyota aristo JZS161 2jzgte VVTI motor set from jdmsource.ca (Shoaib). The price was good and I have heard good reviews, the photos looked good and I am hoping to receive a good motor. I have also been looking about where to have my harness done, after initially (and my only previous knowledge led me to believe) that dr tweak/phoenix tuning would be my best bet for a harness made, but the prolonged wait on my car going into the shop has had me researching a lot of little details and I came across a post on here mentioning panicwire, so I investigated further and found out about Mike Panic @ Panicwire.com. His website seems very plain but further googling found he's a sponsor at jzxproject and lists his services there. Mike used to work for Portland Speed Industries in portland, OR across the river from me, and touts Ryan tuerck's drift 2jz car as having his full harness and wiring services, along with a variety of drift cars specializing in toyota motors. Perfect for me it seems! I emailed him at 7:30pm and got a quote back that beats a whole sale price for his competitor so I am going to proceed forward with that! I will be running the 2jzgte vvti with R154 and keeping my AC. I don't really care about cruise control or traction control, but ABS is necessary.

I will be updating this thread as my mechanic pulls the motor and trans and I can clean up the empty engine bay to prepare for the motor. Also going to be replacing some gaskets, seals and water pump/ timing belt when I get the motor. Pretty excited!!!
Old 06-17-14, 06:36 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome man!! Please keep us updated! !
Old 06-18-14, 07:16 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Motor shows up for delivery tomorrow! I am quite excited and will post pictures, going to start ripping my motor out this weekend and get my harness over to PanicWire!
Old 06-18-14, 07:20 PM
Gensc300
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Subscribed!!!!
Old 06-20-14, 10:12 AM
ClarkKent
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give her hell Joe! Can't wait to see what happens in this round.
Old 06-20-14, 12:09 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Thanks guys! I just got shop keys and the motor should be showing up today! I will be documenting as much as I can and have some lengthy posts coming soon!

Quick Reply: Luxury Performance: JZS161 motor & JZZ30 R154 5 speed swap