GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

The W58 Swap Bible; Info Coming Soon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 06:42 AM
VSRgs300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The W58 Swap Bible; Info Coming Soon.

So, as far as i'm concerned this forums lacks a lot in the W58 swap thread. there's far too much "email me for info" crap and "oh i forgot what you need". Why is this such a secret?

Anyway i will be doing this swap this month, parts are either all here or ordered.

I will be listing EXACTLY what you need and as much measurement info as i can provide. I MAY not post pictures but hopefully you won't need any.

WHY A W58?
Simple. because it was free. I've had several cars with R154s and yes they're awesome gearboxes, but....this w58 was free, and i'm not building a race car. i'm sick of my a340's exploding. i went through two autos. i love the car, but homie don't play that game. i'm swapping for reliability.

WHAT I NEED FROM CLUBLEXUS is EXACT electrical info to get the speedo, reverse lights and tach to work. if any. I'll do my best to figure it out. I'm more of a mitsubishi/Nissan tech as that's what I work on. Like I said I'll do my best.

PARTS: (i will be updating this as I go, this is what i have so far/think will work)

SC300 W58 Transmission ($Free.99 - I got it attached to a 2JZ I bought for $400 that ended up being filled with water)
SC300 Slave Cylinder ($30 Ebay)
SC300 Flywheel ($Free.99 - attached to the engine..so...)
SC300 Clutch Kit (whichever you want) ($150 - yes I bought a Gripforce clutch, yes i've used them before, for what they are they work fine)

MKIV Supra Clutch Pedal Assembly ($279 from driftmotion. you can attempt to find a used one. i couldn't) (needs to be modified will post as much info as possible when mine is done)
MKIV Clutch Master Cylinder ($35.00 - ebay)
4AGE Flywheel bolts ($35.00 - ebay)
2JZ Pressure Plate Bolts ($13.85 shipped - driftmotion)

Custom Driveshaft ($~400 - driftmotion) (here i will include the EXACT dimensions for the driveshaft so you can just order one from them making it easier for YOU)
W58 Shifter Extension ($225 + one way shipping) (again, exact measurements and link to the guy doing mine)
One Peice Clutch Master to Slave cylinder hydraulic line (got one from driftmotion, will keep updated if it works/what needs to be done to make it fit)

TOTAL SPENT SO FAR $465
(like i said i basically got my trans for free. so this will not be realistic to you. I still need to spend another $818 for the driveshaft and pedal assembly. yikes. )

PROJECTED GRAND TOTAL $1300. add the cost of you getting a transmission to this for YOUR total.

Traction Control Pump; I have one, many of you don't. I'll take as many pictures as i can and detail how to remove this thing and if i come up with a solution to move the thing, i'll post that too. I'm pretty dead set on just getting rid of it, since i have ZERO use for it.

(bold items are the parts i have. as soon as my flywheel is back from being resurfaced and the shifter extension is mailed back to me, i will be stuffing this in. I'm tight on money, as i just spun a bearing in my evo iv swaped mirage and am hustling to finish my S13 for next spring, so I will save for the pedal and driveshaft to be ordered later this month (nov) or next (dec). I will update as needed.

ELECTRICAL: (here's where I need YOUR help. post info if you've done it)

Tach;
Speedo;
Neutral safety;
Reverse Lights;

Last edited by VSRgs300; 11-12-12 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 11:26 AM
m1k3yg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres a couple wires you're gonna have to jump on the ecu, there was a thread a while ago specifying which ones you had to jump... Is it possible that you could post prices also? And also confirm that you WILL keep us updated step by step? Theres been at least 4 people that start documenting and then disappear lol, I have a w58 from a mkii supra and I will most likely be using that. I've read that pedal assys from the celica can also be used, I was going to attempt going with an mr2 assy
Old 11-12-12, 11:57 AM
VSRgs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by m1k3yg
Theres a couple wires you're gonna have to jump on the ecu, there was a thread a while ago specifying which ones you had to jump... Is it possible that you could post prices also? And also confirm that you WILL keep us updated step by step? Theres been at least 4 people that start documenting and then disappear lol, I have a w58 from a mkii supra and I will most likely be using that. I've read that pedal assys from the celica can also be used, I was going to attempt going with an mr2 assy

i tried finding the thread, i couldn't come up with anything :\

i promise i will not go anywhere haha. good call on the prices. i'll be sure to do that. as well as torque specs and all that i'd think you'd need

Last edited by VSRgs300; 11-12-12 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-14-12, 09:22 PM
poplatino4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can pull up a wiring diagram for the GS3 and work out the safety neutral and reverse lights. Im interested in doing this myself but with a r154. Any info on what differs between trans?
Old 11-15-12, 06:42 AM
VSRgs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by poplatino4
I can pull up a wiring diagram for the GS3 and work out the safety neutral and reverse lights. Im interested in doing this myself but with a r154. Any info on what differs between trans?
that would be a BIG help. thank you.

as far as actually swapping an r154 instead of a w58, the only differences I can think of would be you just needing to order r154 specific slave cylinder, clutch, and when you have a driveshaft made, just tell driftmotion it's for an R154. I'm not sure if the driveshaft length will be the same, so measuring that on your own would make more sense. oh, and if you buy a 7m r154, you'll need the 1JZ bellhousing.
Old 11-15-12, 09:24 AM
poplatino4
Driver

From what I saw, 93-95 and 96-97 are pretty much the same, save a few different colors. Pretty basic, 12v power to reverse switch and going the to reverse wire coming out of the selector harness. Same for neutral switch, one can also wire the neutral signal to a switch on the clutch pedal, or both if you want to. so it would start in gear with clutch in, in neutral with clutch out and in neutral with clutch in. Speed sensors on mine are captured by the abs sensors, but i would need to find out exatcly, ill jack my car up today and take a look at how the speed sensor works with the osiloscope, and if i would disconnect the speed sensor, if the speedo works.

Update: I cant upload pictures at the moment. So i will have to wait for me to get home.

Update 2: i spoke with my father about the abs pump, easiest thing to do, would be relocate the batery and extend the harness and make tubing for the abs pump to relocate it to the original batery location.

Last edited by poplatino4; 11-15-12 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-15-12, 09:39 AM
VSRgs300
Driver School Candidate

From what I saw, 93-95 and 96-97 are pretty much the same, save a few different colors. Pretty basic, 12v power to reverse switch and going the to reverse wire coming out of the selector harness. Same for neutral switch, one can also wire the neutral signal to a switch on the clutch pedal, or both if you want to. so it would start in gear with clutch in, in neutral with clutch out and in neutral with clutch in. Speed sensors on mine are captured by the abs sensors, but i would need to find out exatcly, ill jack my car up today and take a look at how the speed sensor works with the osiloscope, and if i would disconnect the speed sensor, if the speedo works.

Update: I cant upload pictures at the moment. So i will have to wait for me to get home.

Update 2: i spoke with my father about the abs pump, easiest thing to do, would be relocate the batery and extend the harness and make tubing for the abs pump to relocate it to the original batery location.
speed sensor; i am an idiot, i forgot about the whole wheel sensor thing.

about the trac pump. i thought about doing that. i might just end up doing that, but i tried to unbolt the damn thing and it won't budge.
Old 11-16-12, 09:34 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm currently saving up parts for a 1GS R154 swap. The parts i've gotten so far are..

Soarer R154 (swan neck extension, not remote shifter..) $500
oem clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing - $170 without core charges + discount
mk3 supra clutch pedal assembly + ebrake - $100
aisin slave/clutch master - $65
1jz flywheel, mk3 supra transmission mount

I still need a drive shaft, I was hoping to find a R154 supra front half driveshaft and see if it connected to the rear half 1GS coupler bearing will allow me the correct length without a 400 dollar custom one piece.
Old 11-16-12, 10:32 AM
poplatino4
Driver

Quick update, speed signal is from the ABS sensors, trans has an output shaft sensor for its own use, but other then that, speed sensors will be not much hassel. One thing i do ask though, would be ECUs. Will the stock auto work or would one have to make modify the harness to fit the M/T trans? Thats is my biggest question.

Also, one thing i noticed from the OP, There is nothing to change for the tach, trans has nothing to do with it, the tach signal is at the igniter, aslong as you dont touch that area, there is nothing to change there.
Old 11-16-12, 02:07 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 188 Posts

Interesting considering the R154 and W58 have speed sensor gears.. So, we wont need to hook them up? Sounds like that is all the wiring needed besides a neutral safety switch and reverse lights
Old 11-16-12, 08:44 PM
VSRgs300
Driver School Candidate

Quick update, speed signal is from the ABS sensors, trans has an output shaft sensor for its own use, but other then that, speed sensors will be not much hassel. One thing i do ask though, would be ECUs. Will the stock auto work or would one have to make modify the harness to fit the M/T trans? Thats is my biggest question.

Also, one thing i noticed from the OP, There is nothing to change for the tach, trans has nothing to do with it, the tach signal is at the igniter, aslong as you dont touch that area, there is nothing to change there.
Yes, from what i understand there is a single section of the back of the gauge cluster you need to put a jumper wire on. i'll look into that after i get everything in.

obviously as i get going on the project i'll be able to answer these questions as i go.
Old 11-17-12, 08:51 PM
poplatino4
Driver

Originally Posted by VSRgs300
Yes, from what i understand there is a single section of the back of the gauge cluster you need to put a jumper wire on. i'll look into that after i get everything in.

obviously as i get going on the project i'll be able to answer these questions as i go.
Isnt that when swapping the engine though?
Old 11-18-12, 01:14 PM
poplatino4
Driver

Started to mess around and came across this...

and then...

so yea..
Move fuse box over, and amazingly you only have to modify one bracket and it bolts in. Turn pump 180 degrees and mount on other side of wheel well. Extend the sole tube and hose and boom done.
Old 11-18-12, 08:32 PM
VSRgs300
Driver School Candidate

Isnt that when swapping the engine though?
perhaps. this is why these threads have been no help to me.

moving the fusebox, you're still going to run the battery out back then?

also, how in the sam **** does the pump unbolt, i got the two up top, but she's still attached haha
Old 11-18-12, 10:58 PM
poplatino4
Driver

Originally Posted by VSRgs300
perhaps. this is why these threads have been no help to me.

moving the fusebox, you're still going to run the battery out back then?

also, how in the sam **** does the pump unbolt, i got the two up top, but she's still attached haha
I am, dunno about anyone else. it seems the easiest way to me. I got no factory amp so battery will be in a purpose made vented box bolted down where the amp used to be. Doing that next sunday or sooner maybe.

Quick Reply: The W58 Swap Bible; Info Coming Soon.