GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-02, 08:13 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in trunk

so its been raining the last couple of days so i haven't had a chance to go back out to continue to work on my trunk. well today when i opened my trunk for the first time in about 1 week there is some water on the bottom right hand corner of the trunk. under where the stock cd player would be if you have one. there is a little sunken hole on both side of the car and there is a pipe that i'm guessing from the sunroof. its in place and its draining outside. but for some reason the passenger side has water all over the place. the driver side is completly clean and dry. can someone suggest where the water might be getting in. i don't want my Raammat sound deadening to be getting wet in the future so i want to fix it before i go on. can someone check there trunk for me if its been raining around your area for wet spot.
Old 12-01-02, 08:29 PM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the exact same problem you stated. I had water all over the bottom of the trunk where the spare tire sits. I cleaned all the water out and the next time it rained hard, there was more water in the trunk. I couldn't figure out where it came from. So I tore everything out and my best guess was that it was coming from where the rear tailights bolt into the sheetmetal. I put silicone everywhere and it has seemed to work so far. But we have not had a hard rain lately so I am not totally convinced.

While washing my car, I made sure the trunk was totally dry before I started and then began to inspect where the water was coming from. I found a water trail coming down the middle of the trunk where one of the bolts from the bumper meets the trunk but it was very hard to get to so I haven't silicon'd it yet.

Spray your car down pretty good and look for water trails and let me know what you find on your car. I would be interested in finding out the real culprit!!
Old 12-01-02, 08:33 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i don't have water in my spare tire well though. its on the right corner of the trunk. there is a little cave like area. i'm gonna try to find out whats wrong maybe this week.

if you don't know the area i'm takling about open your trunk and behind your trunk lining you will see a clear 3/4 inch tube that runs down both side of the car. its the drain from the sunroof i believe. both of the tubes are in place and draining outside the car. but the right side of my car seems to get wet everytime the car gets wet.
Old 12-01-02, 08:41 PM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

I do know the area you are talking about because that is one of the first places I checked. Toyota Avalons are notorious for the sunroof drain tubes leaking in the trunk so I made sure mine wasn't blocked. I did have some water in the area you are talking about (under the CD player) but not very much.

I am still not convinced I fixed the leak because sometimes I feel water in the middle of the trunk carpet!!

If your sunroof drain tubes are blocked, then I would check the tailight bolts and make sure no water is getting in from there. I took them both off and put silicone everywhere. Since water can run behind the lights, I made sure to seal everything!!
Old 12-01-02, 08:44 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

is there a place i can pout water into to make sure the drain is clear. how can i check. also where can the water get into the sunroof?? i had my sunroof closed for the last few weeks
Old 12-01-02, 08:52 PM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

There is no clean way to check the drain tubes. You would basically have to open your sunroof and pour water around it. Just check the bottom of the tubes under the car and make sure there is nothing blocking them. You can also blow air through the tube and make sure there is nothing blocking them further upstream.

The sunroof seal isn't really a great seal. Sometimes when I wash my car and dry it off I open the sunroof and you can the water that has leaked by the seal.
Old 12-01-02, 09:28 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

When I bought my car there was water in the spare wheel well. After drying it out, I haven't seen water there since. The rest of the trunk is always dry (or so it seems). It's been raining pretty hard the past few weeks; I think I'll check my spare tire just be safe.
Old 12-01-02, 09:45 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

can you check that bottom right hand side of your trunk?
Old 12-01-02, 09:50 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jmai22
can you check that bottom right hand side of your trunk?
I'll try to do that when the temp hits the 40s again. Today was in the 30s with 30-40 mph winds.
Old 12-01-02, 09:52 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

lol. wow cold eh? i always wondered what happen if your gas lines and gas freeze up?
Old 12-01-02, 10:02 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

Originally posted by Jmai22
lol. wow cold eh? i always wondered what happen if your gas lines and gas freeze up?
I don't live on the North pole, lol.
Old 12-02-02, 12:04 AM
GSMan300
Rookie

Hey,

I have the same problem with water in the spare tirewheel well. If you look carefully there is a rubber stopper that you can pop out at the bottom of the spare wheel well to drain the water out. There are 2 of them one at 12 and one at 6 o'clock.
Old 12-02-02, 02:36 AM
geees300
Driver

Default H2O in the trunk

does your car by any chance had the rear windshield replaced? if yes this is probably what's wrong - it's a long shot but the water may be coming through the rear windshield...i've had this problem before on another car...the cause is worn/ brittle rubber seals around the window...or a crappy job when the rear windshield was replaced. keep us posted.

oh btw up where i live the temp dips in the upper -30C in the winter with -40C to -50C windchills...brrrrrrr...since i had my geees i've only driven it in one winter season...heck i even try not to drive it when it's raining...lol

geees
Old 12-02-02, 02:42 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i'm not too sure if the window has been replace. my car is clean title never accident. but dnno about it being broken. seal looks clean. i'm gonna try spray water over my trunk and roof tomo and test
Old 12-02-02, 02:57 AM
geees300
Driver

Default H2O in the trunk

jmai,
see if the rear windshield has the toyota stamp similar to the other windows if not then you know it's been replaced...as for hosing the car with water you will have to do it for a long time to get the water through...this is not going to be pretty but try taping around the windshield with duct tape for a while...and see if you still get water in the trunk...now your into process of elimination

geees

Quick Reply: water in trunk