Just got 94 GS300, many questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 05:48 PM
TBender
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got 94 GS300, many questions

well lets do an intro

29, live in South Florida, mechanic/service writer/manager at automotive shop, have wife and 2 year old.

specialties: Alignments/Suspension/Steering/Brakes/Tires

previous vehicles:

91 Taurus
94 Taurus SHO auto
96 Chevy K1500 truck
89 Taurus SHO 5spd
90 240sx
93 Taurus SHO 5spd

So bought a cheap 94 GS300, bad trans, 190k miles, needs paint, needs wheel, align/rear suspension replacement. Has 2006? GS 17" wheels, R/R got curbed and cracked, now have some positive camber on that tire.

so heres the list so far of whats getting replaced in what order

-Clean-up/detail
-Transmission(dad has a transmission shop, lucky me)
-Wheel
-Suspension
-flush/replace all fluids
-check timing belt
-replace radiator hoses
Here are some questions I have about this vehicle:

1) Dash... yeah.... doing some searching around here I assume the 95 clusters are better as is the 95 dimmer switch, some of my needles don't work and my tach doesn't work(haven't really properly diagnosed tach yet) Can I bolt in a dash from a 95? Change dimmer switch from a 95 if its different?

2) Radio code.... read owners manual, set by user, can't find code, am I completely screwed?

3) Coolant, Can I use Toyota Red?

4) Brake Fluid, its dark, need to flush, is any synthetic DOT4 good enough? I usually use Pentosin DOT4 at work on higher end cars

5) Engine oil, I like Mobil 1. I live in hot south florida, my work commute is 4.5 miles. I know what are good Mobil oils, but whats good for a 2jz? should I stick with 30wt or up to a 40wt for my high mileage beast? I would use either 10w-30High Mileage or 0w-40 if I stuck with a Mobil product.....

oh yeah arleady bought my first part for it, found a new coolant tank from RockAuto for about 40 shipped!

I'm sure I have so much more to ask, if I remeber things I'll add here

thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 05-10-12, 07:21 AM
cnewingham
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you have a long road ahead of you.
93 to 97 parts are interchangeable. Needles are a common issue with are cluster and it happens to be the same issue with the sc's as well so its just a lexus issue of that era. You can get new needles or send yours in for repairs. (search for it and you will find members that offer the service).
Definetly work on replacing worn suspension parts. Lower ball joints have been known to fail while driving so make sure you check them.
If you have the factory radio call the dealer and see if they can look it up by vin or if you need to give them the serial # off the headunit
You can use toyota red if you flush the old coolant. In fact I would recommend switching to Toyota red but not a big deal if you dont
and if you need struts and thinking of putting on lowering springs just look in the Vendor section and get some megan coilovers. I picked up a new set shipped to me for $650
Dont get the HKS coilovers as they are no companies in the US that can rebuild them if they start leaking.

Most importantly have fun with it